Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How do you plan to dress during the 1L year?  (Read 10204 times)

Boyce Baylor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How do you plan to dress during the 1L year?
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2007, 05:38:43 PM »
Brightly colored pants with little animals stitched on them. Lots of madras and seersucker. I will also wear an expression of amused condescension.

JTcc

• Sr. Citizen
  • Such sweet sorrow
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2007, 05:44:52 PM »
a smile
Wolverine '10

Sell Out

• Sr. Citizen
  • Bienvenido al Terrordome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2007, 06:05:23 PM »
Hemp shorts and a NORML shirt.  I'll also sport some dreadlocks.
Rocking in the free world.

UH 2010

Sell Out

• Sr. Citizen
  • Bienvenido al Terrordome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2007, 06:14:49 PM »
I didn't realize that because I will potentially share a campus with undergraduate students that I was supposed to dress like them as well. I guess while we are it, why dont we streak down mountaineer avenue and do keg stands every night?

Law students and undergraduates are not the same. I intend to handle every aspect of law school like a business, because after all this is your career. I have been stereotyped enough in life to know that I would much rather be the black guy in the back of the room dressed like eurkel, than the louie-vuitton don or something in that fashion. It's really about shaping the image of who you want people to percieve you as, and as long as you don't act like a snooty a-hole, I don't think people will mind you in a suit or whatever. I spoke with a law professor at Loyola-NO who said that professors appreciate when students come to class professionally dressed, because it shows the respect they have for the class and the education they are recieving. Of course not everyone agrees that this makes a difference in grades, but what about the networking opprutunities or the fact that your professor is a partner at XYZ law firm or knows someone in the SEC that can "hook you up?" Bottomline, as much as people try to talk down about those who dress professional, it is really the laziness of the casual goer that drives comments such as tool and whatever else they have to say.

If you are the only one in class wearing a suit then the professor would probably be more inclined to think you're strange.  It's the "One of these is not like the others" rule.
Rocking in the free world.

UH 2010

EEtoJD

• Sr. Citizen
  • Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2007, 08:04:07 PM »
Um, the same thing I always wear, of course. The skin of my enemies.

::backs away slowly, in case I'm blamed for spreading the plague::

Too late. I'm still dying. Are you?
I can't believe these obnoxious Michigan students, who use the board not to share information, but to socialize (as pathetic as that is)

LSN</

sillyberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2007, 08:12:25 PM »

No, I'm past my dying stage.  That's the benefit of not going to work or anything and just staying in bed until the desire for death passes.
Juicy: UChicago

It sounds so reasonable when you say it.

Paper Chaser

• Sr. Citizen
  • http://guinnessandchocolate.blogspot.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2007, 08:15:50 PM »
Do you and I will do me. Can you spell check that? I don't recall saying anything about wearing a suit everyday, but if that is what you interpret when I say khakis and a blazer then by all means carry on.

P.S. If you are a 1l in school right now, wth are you reading LSD for anyways??? Aren't finals in a week or so?

EEtoJD

• Sr. Citizen
  • Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2007, 08:20:54 PM »

No, I'm past my dying stage.  That's the benefit of not going to work or anything and just staying in bed until the desire for death passes.

No medicine? Lucky you. I woke up no less than three times last night coughing my brains out. If you strapped me to my bed, I'd probably have looked like Linda Blair in The Exorcist.
I can't believe these obnoxious Michigan students, who use the board not to share information, but to socialize (as pathetic as that is)

LSN</

sillyberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2007, 08:26:07 PM »

No medicine? Lucky you. I woke up no less than three times last night coughing my brains out. If you strapped me to my bed, I'd probably have looked like Linda Blair in The Exorcist.

HOT!  I would definitely pay to watch your head spin.
Juicy: UChicago

It sounds so reasonable when you say it.

EEtoJD

• Sr. Citizen
  • Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2007, 08:31:36 PM »

HOT!  I would definitely pay to watch your head spin.

As soon as I typed "strapped me to my bed", I knew something like this was coming.

You said "head". Huh huh.

LSN</