Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Partial Scholarship must be accepted by April 1st, YIKES!  (Read 1337 times)

gratif

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.7/167
    • View Profile
Partial Scholarship must be accepted by April 1st, YIKES!
« on: February 24, 2007, 10:44:05 AM »
I got my first acceptance from a school I'm very strongly considering.  Merit based, totals about 1 year free.

The thing is, I get in-state tuition at a comparable school that would be much cheaper.  Based on LSN, there's no way the in-state school will be back to me by April 1st!  I've got 12 pending applications.  This deadline is unreasonably early.

"To accept our offer, you need only respond by email or otherwriting explicitly stating your intention. You may respond any time but no later than April 1, 2007. We require no deposit. Out tradition is to accept your word as an aspirant to the legal profession. Upon receipt of your acceptance, we will begin the process of facilitating your transition to ****** and the School of Law community. Your first day of orentation will begin at 9 a.m. on ***********."

What do I do?

mathlete

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Partial Scholarship must be accepted by April 1st, YIKES!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 10:59:06 AM »
Call and explain the situation. Ask if they can extend the deadline for you.

Bouzie1982

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 10:25:08 PM »
I got my first acceptance from a school I'm very strongly considering.  Merit based, totals about 1 year free.

The thing is, I get in-state tuition at a comparable school that would be much cheaper.  Based on LSN, there's no way the in-state school will be back to me by April 1st!  I've got 12 pending applications.  This deadline is unreasonably early.

"To accept our offer, you need only respond by email or otherwriting explicitly stating your intention. You may respond any time but no later than April 1, 2007. We require no deposit. Out tradition is to accept your word as an aspirant to the legal profession. Upon receipt of your acceptance, we will begin the process of facilitating your transition to ****** and the School of Law community. Your first day of orentation will begin at 9 a.m. on ***********."

What do I do?

IU (Im assuming thats who this is) is pretty understanding and I'm sure that they'll extend the deadline for you.  I met with them last week and they seemed to realize that the 4/1 deadline was a little early.  They have no reason not to extend your deadline, the alternative is that you commit to them and then have to tell them you've changed your mind which sucks but is clearly what most people in your situation would have to do.

jdhu

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 12:59:03 AM »
Awesome, I have the same dilemma, and yes it is IU...

I have 25 aps to hear back on, and 4/1 is coming fast.  I wanted to visit a number of schools too...glad to hear they are reasonable about extending the deadline.

gratif

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.7/167
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 02:26:06 PM »
Yup.  UI-B.  I just found out that Bloomington is smoke free.  I was thinking about bartending one night a week in LS, so it gets a brownie point.

Bouzie1982

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 05:10:11 PM »
Yup.  UI-B.  I just found out that Bloomington is smoke free.  I was thinking about bartending one night a week in LS, so it gets a brownie point.

Grat, unfortunatley, the ABA won't let you work at all during your first year. :(

aerynn

• Sr. Citizen
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2007, 05:22:48 PM »

Grat, unfortunatley, the ABA won't let you work at all during your first year. :(

That's not true.  ABA will let you work 20 hours a week.  Schools sometimes have stricter limits than that, though, so check with your school to get the specifics.
Here's how it went for me for Fall 2006 admission:
168/3.67
In: Emory($$), UGA ($), W&M ($$), GW($)
Waitlisted:American(W), UVA (W)
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn

Bouzie1982

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2007, 05:34:11 PM »

That's not true.  ABA will let you work 20 hours a week.  Schools sometimes have stricter limits than that, though, so check with your school to get the specifics.

Are you sure; I've heard from many schools that they don't allow it.  Anyway, sorry for misinforming! ;)

aerynn

• Sr. Citizen
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2007, 05:47:02 PM »

Are you sure; I've heard from many schools that they don't allow it.  Anyway, sorry for misinforming! ;)

You're right about the schools; many don't allow it.  But the ABA allows 20 hours.  The schools are just stricter than the ABA in some cases.  :)
Here's how it went for me for Fall 2006 admission:
168/3.67
In: Emory($$), UGA ($), W&M ($$), GW($)
Waitlisted:American(W), UVA (W)
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn

oudidntno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007, 08:25:31 AM »

What do I do?

Most schools I've been accepted to require a deposit by April 1st or 2nd.  That date seems to be the norm.  They set this date so they can force their accepted applicants to make a decision by that date and still give their schools enough time to fill all the spots left vacant by the withdrawals.  These vacants spots are filled from candidates patiently waiting in pergatory (aka the waitlist).  Anyway, when did you go complete at these other schools?  If you did it by mid-Feb. or earlier and haven't heard back from them by April 1st then you will probably be waitlisted and you might not get a final decision till July (usually it doesn't take this long for a waitlist candidate to get a final decision but it could).  But I really expect you will hear back from your other schools one way or another by April 1st (unless you just applied yesterday).  Just as this school has given you an April 1st deadline, other schools have given themselves the same deadline to have all their decisions made on easily qualified candidates before they start looking at waitlist candidates.  So while this process has seem so slow till now and some schools may have waited for months to give you a decision, this last month will be much quicker so expect decisions to start flooding in.