Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I'm Not Understanding This Whole EFC-0-Need-Based-Aid Thing  (Read 648 times)

button127

• View Profile
I'm Not Understanding This Whole EFC-0-Need-Based-Aid Thing
« on: February 23, 2007, 06:09:02 PM »
Maybe it's me but I'm not understanding how Fin Aid works out for people with EFC of 0.

Most people who are working part-time or during the school year will have an EFC of 0 since FAFSA classifies grad students as independent.

So although I live with my mother and 4 other siblings and she makes 30-35k a year, since my EFC is 0 there's nothing separating me from John Q. Goldstein with an EFC of 0 whose parents make 100k+ a year. So where exactly does the need-based aid take effect? Unless of course none such aid exists :( .

(I'll be at Albany next year.)

Kay0014

• View Profile
Re: I'm Not Understanding This Whole EFC-0-Need-Based-Aid Thing
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 06:22:14 PM »
One thing to keep in mind is that you are no longer considered to be dependent on your parents for the purposes of the Fafsa. I can say as being a person in the case of an EFC 0 for the graduate program I am in you will get more need based money like grants and perkins loan before you have to start using the stadford of private loans.

There are some schools like GW that require an additional form that would require your parents income . That would help separate you, but for the most part you are not separate from that other person!

button127

• View Profile
Re: I'm Not Understanding This Whole EFC-0-Need-Based-Aid Thing
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 06:28:33 PM »
Thanks for the info.

It just seems that everyone has an EFC of zero, and if law schools are giving out fin aid based on that there'd be a lot less debt. Unless they're giving other fin aid out and not grants and scholarships.