Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: HLS, SLS, YLS ( plus UMich, Chicago, UVA)  (Read 1576 times)

annita

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
HLS, SLS, YLS ( plus UMich, Chicago, UVA)
« on: February 23, 2007, 03:50:57 PM »
I'm down to these six schools, with the first three more likely than the last. I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about the presence and experience of non-traditional students at the various programs. Are any of the top programs known for having a relatively high proportion of students who have been out of college for five years or more? Do any seem to be dominated by straight-out-of-college types? What are your experiences, or what have you heard?

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
Re: HLS, SLS, YLS ( plus UMich, Chicago, UVA)
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 04:48:29 PM »
Northwestern is kind of the non-trad's t14 (they actively pursue people with significant work experience).  Surprised you didn't apply there.  Of the six schools you mentioned, I'm not sure any one is more non-trad oriented than the others.  The distribution at most law schools seems to be the same (ie: 1/3 straight from UG, 2/3 w/ at least one year of WE).
Yale.Law.School.2010

annita

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 05:42:20 PM »
Northwestern is kind of the non-trad's t14 (they actively pursue people with significant work experience).  Surprised you didn't apply there.  Of the six schools you mentioned, I'm not sure any one is more non-trad oriented than the others.  The distribution at most law schools seems to be the same (ie: 1/3 straight from UG, 2/3 w/ at least one year of WE).

Yes, I know that about Northwestern. "Non-trad" orientation was not my first or top priority in choosing law schools -- faculty, clerkship placement, LRAP support, etc. were all more important. If I was going to be in Chicago, I knew I'd rather be at UofC (though UofC has its downsides, and I'm certainly not knocking Northwestern; in any case, application time is over now). I'm just trying to figure out if there is any substantive variation among the schools I'm now considering. There may not be.

Felix P.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 08:28:10 PM »
OP: If the ‘non-trad’ factor is so far down on your list of concerns, why do you bother to post in this area asking for advice?  You have a lot of excellent options, clearly.  Yale is generally regarded as the best law school is the country; I would suggest going to Yale. 

Perhaps the LRAP concern might suggest another choice (maybe NYU or Boalt). But as far as the non-trad element is concerned, you’d have to give us something more concrete (a family that needs accommodation, etc…) for anyone to offer any suggestions beyond what you already know.  I doubt the age distribution varies much amongst your choices.     

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 09:10:43 PM »
Yale seems to be 1/3 straight from undergrad, 1/3 out for 1-2 years, and 1/3 out for an extended period of time.
YLS c/o 2009

annita

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 09:24:24 PM »

OP: If the ‘non-trad’ factor is so far down on your list of concerns, why do you bother to post in this area asking for advice?  You have a lot of excellent options, clearly.  Yale is generally regarded as the best law school is the country; I would suggest going to Yale. 

Look, I'm leaning toward YLS. The non-trad thing probably won't be a deciding factor -- if only because the differences among the places I'm considering (in terms of general culture and student-body make-up) are not so great. Mostly, I'm just curious. As I said, maybe there aren't any huge, general differences. But if there are, that would interest me. From the responses people are offering, I'm gathering there aren't. But you don't have to be mean about it!

Felix P.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 09:56:58 PM »
My response is motivated by a certain "mean-ness" I detected in your response to the poster about Northwestern. If the obvious answer to the question "what top schools cater to non-trads" is: Northwestern, it is disingenuous for you to suggest that you’ve considered Northwestern and found it lacking.

You must admit to the rarified air in which you are breathing. Not too many of us are prepared to give you excellent guidance on that difficult choice between Y/H and S (with mich/uva/chi-town as safeties, of course).

I know a non-trad in your situation that is very happy at Harvard, if this is useful. With a larger student body, variety could be a bonus.  I would only suggest that you ignore demographic considerations (since they seem of little real importance), and focus on placement, faculty, even geography, etc...

Objectively, I would say go to Stanford, since the weather far exceeds any t14 (or top 4!), and it is hard to over-estimate the impact of weather on one’s emotional wellbeing!

annita

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 10:08:08 PM »
My response is motivated by a certain "mean-ness" I detected in your response to the poster about Northwestern. If the obvious answer to the question "what top schools cater to non-trads" is: Northwestern, it is disingenuous for you to suggest that you’ve considered Northwestern and found it lacking.

I really didn't mean to annoy people with this thread. Maybe it's a pointless thread. I'm sorry if that's the case. I'm also aware that I am very lucky to be choosing among top schools and that not every poster on LSD is considering those schools. But there are many people who are, or who are current students there, and I was just throwing out a question I'd been thinking about lately.

mumbling2myself

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2007, 03:13:08 AM »

I really didn't mean to annoy people with this thread. Maybe it's a pointless thread. I'm sorry if that's the case. I'm also aware that I am very lucky to be choosing among top schools and that not every poster on LSD is considering those schools. But there are many people who are, or who are current students there, and I was just throwing out a question I'd been thinking about lately.

I don't think that anyone has issue with your question persay, just its placement.  You asked in the non-traditional students board for information about a few schools which don't have a reputation for catering to nontrads, then said that catering to nontrads isn't really important.

You have a valid choice to make, but if the fact that you are a nontraditional student doesn't have bearing on it, I'm not sure that other nontraditonal students are the ones you should be asking.

I think the thing I've noticed about Northwestern in particular, which might have to do with the fact that it caters heavily to students with work experience, is that a lot of the students are there for the job that comes after (this has been repeated to me by several sources).  If you're looking for a collegial atmosphere where others are working to further their careers, that might be the right place for you.  If not, you'll probably be happy at H,Y, or S (or M, Va, or Chi) and should compare based on the criteria that matter most to you.

I think this board will be as helpful as possible, but you might have better luck and get more informative responses in the 'where should i go section.'

Congrats on the amazing choice, by the way, I'm jealous :)

mustard

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2007, 08:44:56 AM »
After reading annita's response to Denny Crane I thought she was showboating too, but decided not to call her on it. Seeing now that I'm not the only one who thought her response to Denny unveiled a false dilemma I'll say that, annita, you should learn from that. Being a good attorney is not just about knowing the law. It is also about understanding people, communication, and trust.

Good luck at Yale.