Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Error in USNews ranking?  (Read 1943 times)

Revenant

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Error in USNews ranking?
« on: March 03, 2004, 02:09:02 PM »
Hey all,

I don't know if anyone else noticed this but University of Washington was somewhere between 25th and 30th in last year's USNews rankings but slipped all the way to somewhere between 45th and 49th in this year's edition.  Not much has changed between the two years, and rather, UDub's stats seem to have gone up in most regards.  However, the one big difference is the 9-month employment rate.  Whereas in last years, the employment stats were 67% and 96%, this year USNews has them pegged at 77% and 75%.  Yes, 75%, as in 9 months after graduation, the total # of students employed from UDub went down instead of up.  Now, I don't know if maybe the law firms at which UDub's students were hired all went under or something, but I would guess that this is a snafu, and a really big one at that if you consider the extra weight given to those with marginally higher than average employment rates, given the skewing of the bell curve for placement statistics (I believe deloggio.com has an article on this).  Anyone else with thoughts on this?

sej23

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Error in USNews ranking?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2004, 04:24:38 PM »
This is probably old news by now, but the reason for the University of Washington's slip in the US News ratings last year was that they sent in the wrong percentage for the number of students employed 9 months after graduation.  It should be 95% not 75%.

kingoftorts

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Error in USNews ranking?
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 08:23:06 PM »
was this corrected on the website or before they went to press?