Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Financial Aid question  (Read 2875 times)

Too Old For Law

• View Profile
Re: Financial Aid question
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2007, 11:58:33 AM »
I can't wait to answer this question - My father has been dead for over 25 years and my mother is curled up in a ball on a nursing home bed that is being paid for by medicare.  Try getting blood out of those stones.

lauralaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2007, 01:03:02 PM »
i was raised by my grandparents and legally, they adopted me, so they *are* my parents.
however, he died in 1998 and she is under constant care for dementia/early alzheimers.

i will be 29 when i start ls.

i emailed georgetown and they said that a notarized letter from whoever has power of attorney or someone who can attest to the validity of the statement re: i have rec'd no financial support since i was 18 and my legal father is deceased and my legal mother is not mentally fit to make decisions regarding her financial matters.

i haven't gotten around to it, but i figure most schools would accept something similar.
they have to understand that older students are different.

if i had gone the high school - college - ls route, my mom would have helped, but she's too old now and doesn't have any assets that aren't being used for her care. 

ls apps are still mainly geared towards trad apps so we just have to call or email to find out how to gear it to us.  they're going to have an answer for you.

qt314

• Sr. Citizen
  • pi = 3.14, k?
    • View Profile
    • bluewords
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2007, 01:26:49 PM »
um, my parents are going to have a sh*t fit when i tell them i'm dropping out of med school to go to law school instead... they are not going to provide financial information.
NYU Class of 2011!

lauralaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2007, 01:39:57 PM »
right - so just call whatever school you're applying to and tell them that under no circumstances will your parents provide you any assistance.

as long as your parents have not claimed you and they are willing to sign something that says they won't give you any money for school, you're fine.

just call or email the school. 

Prog

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2007, 09:35:08 AM »

Im going to be 29 in June of 08, and while my parents help me financially from time to time, i have worked full time since 1998 and they have not claimed me as a dependant since around the same time, since ive paid my own taxes since then as well). Anyone think im going to need to submit their financial info?