Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Financial Aid question  (Read 2830 times)

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
Financial Aid question
« on: February 22, 2007, 12:45:14 PM »
some schools i have applied to want my parents financial information. im 33 i haven't lived w/ my parents since 1991. I've supported myself since 1995. my parents are not about to give up their financial information. the school asks me "am i estranged" im like no their just not going to do it and i dont know why i have to ask. any financial aid decision that you make will have to be made from MY financial information, my parents finances are irrlevant. have any of you had this problem?
...man, you was who you was before you got here

mustard

• View Profile
Re: Financial Aid question
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 12:03:45 PM »

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 07:52:12 PM »
ok problem solved most of the schools i've talked to have realized the error of their ways...fyi for anybody who cares, there is a difference between being independant for financial aid purposes and being independant as a graduate student. a large majority of schools consider you independant as a graduate student but not for financial aid purposes and will still ask for your parent's financial information, which is the problem i was having. if your over 29 you will be considered independant for both

annita

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 08:00:53 PM »
ok problem solved most of the schools i've talked to have realized the error of their ways...fyi for anybody who cares, there is a difference between being independant for financial aid purposes and being independant as a graduate student. a large majority of schools consider you independant as a graduate student but not for financial aid purposes and will still ask for your parent's financial information, which is the problem i was having. if your over 29 you will be considered independant for both

Hmm. Have you called any of these schools yet? For the three top schools I'm considering, I pass the independence test for one, will pass the independence test my second year for another, and will never pass the independence test for the third. But for all of them, being over 30 would be an automatic qualifier, assuming my parents have not claimed me on their taxes or given me X amount of money per year for the past ten years.

If you're considered independent, you shouldn't NEED to submit your parents' info.

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 08:25:14 PM »

Hmm. Have you called any of these schools yet? For the three top schools I'm considering, I pass the independence test for one, will pass the independence test my second year for another, and will never pass the independence test for the third. But for all of them, being over 30 would be an automatic qualifier, assuming my parents have not claimed me on their taxes or given me X amount of money per year for the past ten years.

If you're considered independent, you shouldn't NEED to submit your parents' info.

i think thats what i said...some schools will ask for your parent's info whether you pass the test for independance or not, a 25 year old may have to submit their parents financial info even though they are considered independant due to their status as a graduate student. if they can not prove that they have supported themselves 100% for X number of years or if they have never worked full-time some schools will want your parent's info. that's just how some schools calculate their financial aid awards, you have to take the extra step to explain why your parents will not be submitting their financial info i.e. im 30 and have supported myself for X number of years...my intitial post was not about the qualifications for independence. as i just said some schools distinguish between being independant due to age and being financially independant for aid purposes

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 08:34:01 PM »
I guess i'm not making myself clear:

All of our students are independent for federal aid purposes (by virtue of the fact that they are in graduate school). Many are also financially independent of their parents. However, Fordham has limited funds and it looks at family financial strength of all of the students who apply, regardless of age and marital status. Fordham requires parental and household information in order to be considered for Fordham Law financial aid (both grants and loans). Please be certain to complete the entire application (all 43 questions) if you want to be considered for Fordham aid. Should you have special circumstances, Q. 44 allows you to explain any information which would affect the you or your parents' financial situation.

demian23

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 08:09:50 PM »
That is WEAK.  Parents should not be considered for graduate education period.  It's between you and and your parents if they want to save you from debt, but we really are all adults by now.

LegalMatters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 01:42:15 PM »
If that's the case at Dayton, I know my parents will enjoy telling them that their 27-year-old daughter makes more than their annual combined income not to mention she hasn't lived with them for four years.

Parents are not the ever-flowing cash fount. And some of us have parents who never were.

drleather2001

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2007, 05:12:01 PM »
Any more info on this?  I'll be 29 when the 2008-09 year begins and just married.  My parents aren't going to take well to having to fill out their financial info (not to mention, I sincerely do not want to have to ask them for it).
"If Mars had life on it // I might find my wife on it!"
-Brian Wilson

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2007, 05:22:58 PM »
Any more info on this?  I'll be 29 when the 2008-09 year begins and just married.  My parents aren't going to take well to having to fill out their financial info (not to mention, I sincerely do not want to have to ask them for it).

i found out i should have lied. i should have told my school that i was estranged from my parents. most school's are not as dense and if you go in and explain your situtation they will be reasonable.