Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GW JD - Worth $180,000?  (Read 4509 times)

last light

• keep fading
    • View Profile
Re: GW JD - Worth $180,000?
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2007, 08:25:57 PM »
I defy you to find a more loyal, tight-knit alumni base than Notre Dame.

I've had discussions of this sort before with various attorneys that I work with. Their opinion was that if you don't know where you want to work after law school, and you don't have an extreme desire to go to school in some particular area, you'll never hurt yourself going to Notre Dame.

Their opinion was that outside of the top 5 or 6, no school would be more national than Notre Dame. You can find alumni just about anywhere, and they have your back, period. It's like a damned cult.

I personally don't think any law school is worth 180,000, even if you're 100 percent sure you'll end up in NYC working at a top paying firm. At the same time, I don't think a 15,000 or 20,000 less difference when you're talking about that much money is worth taking a lower ranked school over GW either.

I've heard this before, and I generally agree with it: If you don't get into a top/national school, you should be looking for the best bang for your buck. This means that you should do some soul searching to decide where you want to work, how much money you'll make, how much your debt will be, and how limiting (placement) your degree will be. Outside of the top legal markets, usually a state school will place just as well, if not better, than even a top school.
No more gods
No more graves
No more love
No more hate
No more heroes

Quail!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2007, 08:45:14 PM »
Their opinion was that outside of the top 5 or 6, no school would be more national than Notre Dame..

I would place this in the "just a little bit hyperbolic" category.

I personally don't think any law school is worth 180,000, even if you're 100 percent sure you'll end up in NYC working at a top paying firm.

Well unless you go to a state school, and not considering financial aid (which we can't discuss in the OP's context), law school aint gonna be that much cheaper wherever you go.

alphadog24

• Sr. Citizen
  • Kage Bunshin No Jutsu
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2007, 09:05:25 PM »
  Sure, there is potential to make big bucks in the law, but bare in mind that those market rate jobs come with a hefty toll: your life.  You will work 100 hours a week to make $165k in NYC where half of your salary will go to loans and the other half will go to living

What a ridiculous statement.  It's more like 55-70 hours per week, depending on the firm, and first year compensation with bonus is up to about 190k in NYC.

FWIW, my friend who just graduated from NYU with a JD/MBA, and now works in NYC, says he works 80 hours a week and has'nt had a day off in 3 weeks.
Emory Law 2010

Jets

• Sr. Citizen
  • At least the Pats missed the playoffs...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2007, 09:05:26 PM »
FWIW, my friend who just graduated from NYU with a JD/MBA, and now works in NYC, says he works 80 hours a week and has'nt had a day off in 3 weeks.

Why would anyone want to do that to themselves. Jesus.

Ted Buckland, ESQ

• Sr. Citizen
  • Leverage??... Torts??...Ruth Bader who???
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2007, 09:18:39 PM »
To pay back 165K, with 7% interest.

alphadog24

• Sr. Citizen
  • Kage Bunshin No Jutsu
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2007, 09:43:18 PM »
Hey Saved, what does that "H" in Jesus H Christ stand for? I read the bible back to front, but I did'nt see a middle name mentioned. Ive always wondered about this.
Emory Law 2010

alphadog24

• Sr. Citizen
  • Kage Bunshin No Jutsu
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2007, 10:27:42 PM »
No wonder I could'nt figure that out. Thats a mess.  ;D
Emory Law 2010

last light

• keep fading
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2007, 11:00:56 PM »
Their opinion was that outside of the top 5 or 6, no school would be more national than Notre Dame..

I would place this in the "just a little bit hyperbolic" category.

Just what they said. Name another law school outside the top 6 that has the "name" that Notre Dame has (except for Princeton, of course). The bottom line is that, outside of the top handful of law firms in the major legal markets, most firms could give a sh-t about what US News has to say ranking wise. There's a ballpark of tiered schools, there's the local schools, and there's the national schools (top 6 or so, ND, and maybe a few more).

I personally don't think any law school is worth 180,000, even if you're 100 percent sure you'll end up in NYC working at a top paying firm.

Well unless you go to a state school, and not considering financial aid (which we can't discuss in the OP's context), law school aint gonna be that much cheaper wherever you go.
[/quote]

Look for the best deal you can. Most places have cheaper state schools that you could consider. But if dude's getting into GW, he could probably pull $$$ from most other schools.
No more gods
No more graves
No more love
No more hate
No more heroes

colforbin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2007, 11:23:32 PM »
I can think of several outside the top 6. How about Berkely, UCLA, Duke, Georgetown. All known for having great "law" schools nationally.

Notre Dame is a great school. However, I don't know if the name automatically makes people think great "law school". Of course I know it is, but I think there are a bunch of other schools outside the top 6 that are known as great "law schools".

See Article here.

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNLJ.jsp?id=1168423325385

ksigman123

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2007, 11:30:00 PM »
YOu cant count 190K total comp in NY...cause of NYC taxes and COL in that dump...2000 for a studio is absurd...

Give me 130K in Atlanta or Miami and Im balling compared to what 190K gets you in NY...

What are the op's alternatives?

There has to be a middle ground between a Tier 2 and Top 20...