Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: feeling anxious...question?  (Read 2992 times)

kslaw

• View Profile
feeling anxious...question?
« on: March 03, 2004, 01:20:02 PM »
So, I wasn't sure until I got my LSAT score if i was going to apply for this year or not. I turned my application in the day before the deadline (deadline March 1) for Pitt. They requested my report from LSDAS yesterday. LSDAS hasn't processed it yet.

How long does it take to process? Does it mean anything that they requested the report the very next day? how long will it take all together? i have a 2.98 gpa and 168 lsat, anyone have any idea what my chances are, knowing I turned my application in at the deadline?

I'm so anxious I'm getting a migraine.

thanks for any input.

lawstudent2004

• Sr. Citizen
  • 160 LSAT and 3.48 GPA
    • View Profile
Re: feeling anxious...question?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2004, 01:31:44 PM »
It just takes 2-3 days to process the report.  But applying so late you probably wont hear anything from the schools until May (just a guess).

kslaw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2004, 02:47:06 PM »
Thank you, lawstudent. I guess I better find something else to occupy my time and thoughts for awhile.

hookem law

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2004, 12:13:39 AM »
f-in Pitt.  They cashed my check like 3 weeks ago and still have not requested my LSDAS report.  And I have not gotten anything saying my app was incomplete. 

kslaw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2004, 11:53:15 AM »
Do you know if most people receive notification from Pitt that their application is complete? Or will the next time I hear from them be the acceptance or rejection letter?

my report has been processed by lsdas. I guess they would have received it today, electronically?

I'm not big on patience.

TheArtist

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2004, 02:38:49 PM »
Can anyone tell me about the general reputation of Pitt Law?  I mean, I know its US News ranking, job rate, stats stats stats....what about quality?  Quality of professors and classes and student life, competitiveness amongst students, east coast reputation?  I'm from VA so I don't really know the area well....

Thanks folks! ;)

kslaw

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2004, 03:12:42 PM »
To be honest, I can't tell you much. I live and work near the school now, and given what I want to do, they have clinics and certification programs that are perfect for me. they're inexpensive, the career services is great (very high placement rates, and if you go to the second floor of the law building, you can find tons of job postings.)

Financially, it makes sense because the tuition is low and the cost of living is really low here. There are a lot of law firms in Pittsburgh, with competitive starting salaries. In fact, hanging outside the career services office is a list of the top firms in the area and their starting salaries for first-year associates, and many of them are over 100,000. when you also consider what the cost of living is like here, those are some really nice salaries. a 150,000 home here is comparable to a 400,000+ home in the "suburbs" (40 minutes out) of DC.

student life...I don't know much about. it's not exactly the most exciting city for nightlife, but like any college campus, there are plenty of bars and restaurants around. Museums, symphonies, shows, etc are good. sports teams...make your own judgment.

Alec

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2004, 08:36:03 PM »
Pittsburgh is definitely a great place to get a great education in the law, as most of their faculty are big-name people bought away from other schools. Because it's a smaller law school than most, not everyone in DC or NYC (etc.) knows that much about it. But the firms that that have had prior experience with Pitt grads love to hire people from there.

Bottom line is that if you are certain that you want to specialize in a particular area of the law, make sure that it's something in which Pitt has a certificate program or clinic. (Since it's a smaller school, it doesn't offer some of the more exotic choices.) If you want to litigate, Pitt's litigation certificate program is just about the best anywhere. I don't know much about the rest, but Professor Michael Madison who heads their IP program is very well respected. Big health law stuff, too, probably because of Pitt's famous medical school and hospital system.

Student life? Well, they study. But that's true anywhere good.

Alec