Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: FIU---On Hold  (Read 2599 times)

UFBGD

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
FIU---On Hold
« on: February 20, 2007, 07:56:58 PM »
Anyone else out there with mediocre numbers (mid to low 150s lsat, 3.5) getting holds from this place? Hurts my feelings! :-\

jillibean

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
Re: FIU---On Hold
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 08:58:13 AM »
Well not so much that as much as I haven't heard anything for about a month- am I complete yet?- and it took them 2 weeks to request my report.
Maybe they just don't want me but the in state tuition would be awesome
UMiami c/o 2010

dat_raw_n_tellect

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • My song!
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 08:03:48 PM »
whoo hoo!  FIU is my alma mater!  I didn't apply because I would like to leave Miami (I am originally from there).  I don't know much about the law school but I do know that they are making waves!  The school itself pretty awesome...and we have Pollo Tropical lol! ;)
"What you get free costs too much."
-Jean Anouilh

afer1500

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - alexfiu1331
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 08:11:53 PM »
whoo hoo!  FIU is my alma mater!  I didn't apply because I would like to leave Miami (I am originally from there).  I don't know much about the law school but I do know that they are making waves!  The school itself pretty awesome...and we have Pollo Tropical lol! ;)

Hell yea FIU is the shiznit. I'm also an FIU alum and not only do we have Pollo Tropical but we have BK.

dat_raw_n_tellect

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • My song!
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 04:56:52 AM »
Well I haven't been there in like 8 months but I think BK is only across the street now.  They took out the old cafeteria and remodeled it with an all you can eat style multiple restuarants type of thing.

But seriously, the University Park Campus is beautiful!  The school is pretty new compared to other Florida state public schools.  The housing is just the bomb.  It is definitely a unique experience with the mixture of Latin American and Caribbean cultures!   :)
"What you get free costs too much."
-Jean Anouilh

jillibean

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 08:38:42 AM »
Also,  their deadline isn't even until May 1 so hopefully you won't be on that hold list for long.
UMiami c/o 2010

UFBGD

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 10:19:56 AM »
Also,  their deadline isn't even until May 1 so hopefully you won't be on that hold list for long.

This is true too.  Didn't think of that!! IT said in the letter they want a 'better feel for the applicant pool.' Nice warm fuzzy letter.  Also, I applied in after I got my December LSAT back so they got my app around Dec 24ish and ordered my report 12/28...so...I'll be waiting...instate tuition would be sweet :)  Now that they are accredited I'm sure their standards are going way up and it will soon be competitive like the other instate schools.

Thanks for the input all.

jmoc2222

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 01:06:44 PM »
That's typical FIU. They take forever to do everything. And that's if they don't loose your documents.  Prepare for a headache and a mediocre education.  I was a 1L there and transferred out. No I am having a hell of a time at a t1 b/c they didn't prepare me. I could not image going to a job from there. Don't believe their MARKETING (key word). Sorry, but that's it. I dont like to say bad things about anything in public and I believe that I have spoken too much truth for some.

thelawfool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2007, 07:03:52 PM »
As a current 1L at FIU, I'll go ahead and defend the school and attempt to answer any specific questions any prospective students might have...

First off, FIU already has higher standards than most of the South Florida law schools outside of UF, FSU and UM.  The median scores for our incoming class was roughly 3.3-3.5 and 154-156.  With our brand new 156,000 sq. ft. law building and accreditation, the standards will only go up from our class.

Secondly, FIU is in a dynamic situation being the only public law school in South Florida.  While that might not mean much now, in a few years when the alumni base is established, prospective students with top tier numbers that want to practice in South Florida will begin to realize that 8K per year in-state is a hell of a lot better then 35-40K per year at Miami or Nova.  Miami is a much more desirable place to live than Gainesville (loved it for undergrad) or Tallahassee with 100 times more job opportunities.

Third, if you want to come down to a diverse campus with a strong faculty and a beautiful climate, then FIU might be the school for you.  If you are a "prestige whore" then, perhaps, you wouldn't fit in here.  The people are down to earth, non-competitive and very friendly.  We work hard, and find time to play as well. 

To rebut the previous posters comments, if you did go to FIU for your first year then it obviously did the job to get you into your Tier 1.  However, I find it hard to believe that with your grammar and spelling, they would let you into a T1 let alone undergrad for that matter.  It's lose not "loose" buddy.  In fact, I'd almost like to call a "flame" on the previous post.  Pretty pathetic.  The faculty here rivals any school.  I encourage prospective students to check out the bios of our professors. 

Again, ask any questions you might have.  You'll get a straightforward answer.
FIU Class of 2009

UFBGD

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2007, 10:00:56 PM »
As a current 1L at FIU, I'll go ahead and defend the school and attempt to answer any specific questions any prospective students might have...

First off, FIU already has higher standards than most of the South Florida law schools outside of UF, FSU and UM.  The median scores for our incoming class was roughly 3.3-3.5 and 154-156.  With our brand new 156,000 sq. ft. law building and accreditation, the standards will only go up from our class.

Secondly, FIU is in a dynamic situation being the only public law school in South Florida.  While that might not mean much now, in a few years when the alumni base is established, prospective students with top tier numbers that want to practice in South Florida will begin to realize that 8K per year in-state is a hell of a lot better then 35-40K per year at Miami or Nova.  Miami is a much more desirable place to live than Gainesville (loved it for undergrad) or Tallahassee with 100 times more job opportunities.

Third, if you want to come down to a diverse campus with a strong faculty and a beautiful climate, then FIU might be the school for you.  If you are a "prestige whore" then, perhaps, you wouldn't fit in here.  The people are down to earth, non-competitive and very friendly.  We work hard, and find time to play as well. 

To rebut the previous posters comments, if you did go to FIU for your first year then it obviously did the job to get you into your Tier 1.  However, I find it hard to believe that with your grammar and spelling, they would let you into a T1 let alone undergrad for that matter.  It's lose not "loose" buddy.  In fact, I'd almost like to call a "flame" on the previous post.  Pretty pathetic.  The faculty here rivals any school.  I encourage prospective students to check out the bios of our professors. 

Again, ask any questions you might have.  You'll get a straightforward answer.

I was going to say the same...lol.