Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Just wondering  (Read 884 times)

ian6244

• View Profile
    • Email
Just wondering
« on: February 20, 2007, 06:35:04 PM »
I just wondering how long does it take you to prepare for the LSAT.

I just started prepare and thinking to go to the test on September.
Dont know if this is good enough or really bad idea...

Poops

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Just wondering
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 06:36:25 PM »

r u smart? if you are a dumbass, then take a PrepCourse

EPL

• Jose Arrogantio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 09:30:10 PM »
3-5 weeks is a little short, especially 3 weeks, since you'll probably still be improving.  Most test prep courses are around 10 weeks, and during that time you will basically be spending almost all of your time either going to class or working on problems for hw, so I would aim for a 10 week period.  starting now for Sep. is definitely too early.  I plan on taking it in Sep. as well and i will start studying in July again.
Admitted: NYU, Georgetown

Deferred: Columbia, Northwestern

Waitlisted: UPenn, Berkeley, Michigan, Duke

Rejected: Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Chicago

bubDread

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 09:46:33 AM »
6 months

Poops

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 10:45:52 AM »

First off, ignore the above person.

why does he have to ignore me? I am being honest and i don't like sugarcoating stuff. If he is not smart it will be harder for him to prepare without PrepCourse - plain and simple. I didn't know Jesus had so much time in his hands

LatherRinseRepeat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 11:41:34 AM »
2yrs
I respectfully disagree!!

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 11:49:38 AM »

First off, ignore the above person.

Secondly, you've got plenty of time to prepare for the LSAT. Generally people recommend studying at least three to five weeks. There are people who study 2-4 months, but it really depends on your study habits. If you need guidance, get a professional course to help you and these generally take about a month or more. If not, you can self-study.

I wouldn't recommend starting your studies now if you're going to burn yourself out.

TITCR
I started at this time last year for the June test.  Are you still in school?  Don't risk your grades to spend time studying for the semester test.  I would say start around early april and you should be able to hit your peak in september.  Good luck.
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

Bernie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 12:01:18 PM »
I think that beginning to study now is an excellent idea!  Skills such as critical reading, reading speed, and critical thinking usually take a while to build, and you'll have the luxury of spending time studying thoroughly without feeling rushed.

The above posters are right; you don't want to burn yourself out, though.  I would recommend 1-3 LSAT study sessions per week, just for a few hours each session.

Begin with a practice test, if you haven't taken one already, so you can get a feel for what is on the LSAT.

With so much time to work with, I would recommend focusing on one piece of the test at a time.  Reading Comp is the best place to start.  Although most people feel that the Reading Comp is their strongest section, it is the hardest to improve upon in a short amount of time, so you don't want to leave it for last.

I would also recommend focusing on accuracy first.  Work through the material untimed and thoroughly.  Aim to get NONE WRONG.  Figure out the logic behind each answer.  

The Gabriel Gray Fan Club

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007, 01:14:53 PM »
With June coming up, you may have the opportunity to take a free simulated test offered by one of the companies trying to sell you a prep class. Take one cold to get a feel for what's on it and what you have the most trouble with (if you get blindsided by the games, no harm done), and then you can decide how long to study. I'd recommend no less than 3 weeks but no more than 2 months.

ian6244

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2007, 03:40:48 AM »
Thanks very much for all your advice.

I think i have more idea now for how should i prepare for the LSAT.

I acutally graduated last year and am working now..

It is just that i have seen some people retaking LSAT and therefore wondering how long and what is the best way for prepare the LSAT since I am thinking to go to law school too..

Wish you all do good on LSAT and future law school

Thanks