Law School Discussion

Has anyone heard ANYTHING bad about Indiana-Bloomington?

Re: Has anyone heard ANYTHING bad about Indiana-Bloomington?
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2007, 03:53:36 PM »
Didn't realize there was already an incoming IU-B thread. Congrats to all those accepted and good luck to those still waiting. I posted this in another thread, but does anyone know exactly what the construction is they're doing, and how will it affect the school?

s.d.

The construction is not comprehensive.  It has displaced some administrative offices (like admissions), but should not seriously affect day-to-day routines for students.  As I understand it, classrooms are not impacted, nor is the library, for the most part.  Still, this is a question/concern you may want to raise with the school...

« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2007, 06:47:13 PM »
Barring a miracle acceptance from GULC, GW, or W&L or massive $$$ from Denver or Villanova, I think this is the school...

I've heard only pro's about IU-B, has anyone heard any major con's?

Underwhelming placement options

« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2007, 06:56:31 PM »
what makes you say this, buddy?

IUB09

« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2007, 07:30:37 AM »
I am a 1L there who came in from out of state.  If you have any questions about the school, the campus, the area etc... I will answer them candidly.  I like it here, but I will tell anyone who asks teh absolute truth about any aspect of attending.  Post any question on this thread and I will respond.

TNVol

« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2007, 10:10:40 AM »
Thanks IUB09 for taking questions:

1. Is the school just a regional power as far as graduate placement is concerned or do you feel like a JD from IU can get you into most markets?  I know it's T1 and thus has better prospects than UTK, the other school I'm considering primarily.

2. COL.  I've heard it's cheap, but I'm coming from the South, so I'm not really sure what to expect.  I've been living in a nice apartment with a friend of mine for a couple of years at $330 each.

3. Poolside.  I've heard it's the "law school dorm" but it looks kind of shady from the outside.  Can you tell me anything that would mitigate this concern (of course, I haven't seen the interior)? Are there other apartments around that are reasonably priced options for LS students?

4. I assume that since you have a house, you found a roommate.  How did you find him/her and was it an easy process?  Did the LS help you find a roommate?

« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2007, 03:33:58 PM »
what makes you say this, buddy?

One sister went to IU-B and the other one went to Notre Dame. Both had similar stats, but the one who went to Indiana didn't have great career options right out of school. She did say she loved Bloomington and would go there again for law school.

Another thing to consider: Indiana has four law schools and only one mid-size city in the state.

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2007, 04:40:57 PM »

Another thing to consider: Indiana has four law schools and only one mid-size city in the state.

Indy is the 12th largest city in the U.S.  It is very spread out, however, and therefore may not "feel" as large as some other cities.  It has historically grown 'out' rather than 'up.'  As for the 4 schools crammed into one state:  I don't think this should be a concern for anyone considering IU-B.  Both IU law schools place heavily into Indy, and IU-B also places heavily into Chi-town.  Valpo doesn't hit either of these markets terribly hard; I'm pretty sure they place mostly in northern IN (Ft. Wayne, etc.).  ND, on the other hand, throws their graduates to the 4 winds.  Comparing ND and IU-B is not fair.  ND will give you more career flexibility than several top-20 schools, I venture to say. 

Having said this, if you wanted to work on the west coast, or in New England, IU-B may not be a sensible choice.  You could surely get there, but it might be an arduous journey. 

I don't think you would need to worry a great deal about getting a job out of IUB.  Their employment #'s are good, and I was told emphatically at a law school event (by a 3L) that they don't include non-legal jobs in their #'s.  That is, if a guy graduates and is working as a bouncer at some bar, they don't consider him employed for the purposes of their employment statistics.  92% employed in legal positions post-graduation is not too shabby. 

« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2007, 06:39:09 PM »

Indy is the 12th largest city in the U.S.  It is very spread out, however, and therefore may not "feel" as large as some other cities.  It has historically grown 'out' rather than 'up.'  As for the 4 schools crammed into one state:  I don't think this should be a concern for anyone considering IU-B.  Both IU law schools place heavily into Indy, and IU-B also places heavily into Chi-town.  Valpo doesn't hit either of these markets terribly hard; I'm pretty sure they place mostly in northern IN (Ft. Wayne, etc.).  ND, on the other hand, throws their graduates to the 4 winds.  Comparing ND and IU-B is not fair.  ND will give you more career flexibility than several top-20 schools, I venture to say. 

Having said this, if you wanted to work on the west coast, or in New England, IU-B may not be a sensible choice.  You could surely get there, but it might be an arduous journey. 

I don't think you would need to worry a great deal about getting a job out of IUB.  Their employment #'s are good, and I was told emphatically at a law school event (by a 3L) that they don't include non-legal jobs in their #'s.  That is, if a guy graduates and is working as a bouncer at some bar, they don't consider him employed for the purposes of their employment statistics.  92% employed in legal positions post-graduation is not too shabby. 

I think Indiana is a good school. The OP was just looking for some dissenting opinions.

HippieLawChick

• Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2007, 07:41:38 PM »
I liked the collegiality of IUB (in online chats and telephone calls from students and admin), and I even looked up an alumnus from there who was practicing in my city in a job I wanted. (She was 2 years out)  Basically, she said that like all schools, being in the top 10% helps with placement but that it was doable for anyone if you worked hard at maintaining contact with the city you wanted to practice in.  ie: take a 1L and 2L summer job in the area you want to practice in if at all possible. 

Journeyman

• The road to life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2007, 07:49:51 PM »
I'm actually really glad this thread is still moving.  Seen some great info the last couple of days and I'm sure others would appreciate hearing some different insights as well