Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I HATE DEAN'S CERTS.  (Read 1143 times)

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I HATE DEAN'S CERTS.
« on: February 20, 2007, 09:51:36 AM »
:/

Still not complete at Columbia.  I don't think it's their fault... I think it's my UG's fault... but I'm still annoyed that they can't do like Duke and just require the Dean's Cert if you decide to go there.

So, on 12/23 after getting my LSAT score, I decided to apply to Columbia.  I sent the dean's cert form to my UG that day.  My UG has a system I can log into, where I can see if dean's certs have been sent.  My Cornell and W&L ones went through without a hitch.  But my Columbia one still hadn't been sent four weeks after I mailed it.  So I called them, and they put me on hold and then said, "Oh, your form just arrived in yesterday's mail."  Yeah, right.  You just found it in a pile on your desk.

So, the little online system said that they mailed it to Columbia on 1/24.  Well, yesterday Columbia let me know they still haven't received it. :/  So TWO MONTHS after I sent the form, I'm still at incomplete at Columbia, and who knows when this will be resolved. 

At this point,  I'm into other schools I'm very interested in, but it feels like a great big waste of $80 to not get on the phone and harrass my UG. And even more annoying because I got a fee waiver after the fact.
Michigan Law Class of 2010

Demigoddess

• Sr. Citizen
  • Legal Posh
    • View Profile
Re: I HATE DEAN'S CERTS.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 10:05:39 AM »
I take it you're too far away from your UG right now to go visit them face-to-face in regards to this issue? I had a similar situation a few months back and it helped to go see them and kind of "walk them through" the whole proceess.  :)

When is Columbia's deadline anyway? If you are really set on applying there and not wasting the $80, then get on the phone with your UG pronto (if you can't visit them). This won't resolve itself - you have to quickly do something!
"Bend & SNAP!" (Attending) = Loyola-LA
"What? Like it's hard?" (Accepted) = UMiami,U of San Diego,SMU-Dedman,Santa Clara U,Suffolk, SLU,Loyola-Chicago,Loyola-LA
"Apparently you get a really bad rash on your..."(R)=
"She's not completely unfortunate looking" (WL) = American U,USF

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 10:11:01 AM »
Seconded.

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 10:30:28 AM »
Yeah, I will call my UG.  But at this point... it seems like I would probably need to send them another form to sign.  And is it possible that Columbia just hasn't processed it yet??  Who knows.

jimfoolery

• Sr. Citizen
  • Bo knows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 11:55:05 AM »
I'm in the same situation, OP.  Do have any idea how long they'll wait before giving up and rejecting us without even looking at the app?

If that happens, hopefully we'll get into NYU/Chicago and dedicate our lives to showing CLS the stupidity of their policy!
Werewolf bar mitzvah, spooky, scary,
Boys becoming men, men becoming wolves!

ImpactPlayer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 12:12:04 PM »
That sucks.  My undergrad was pretty quick about getting them sent out for me.  They did it within a week, when they said it would take 2-3 weeks minimum.  Good luck.

ameliabee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 12:21:20 PM »
oh my god.  me and columbia?  same story.  i sent the forms for cornell and columbia to my ug at the same time and i'm complete at cornell, so maybe it's a paperwork problem on columbia's end?  either way, it makes me want to pull my hair out because it's so out of my hands.

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 01:08:51 PM »
Well, that's the thing... I'm not convinced that this time it's not Columbia's fault.  Like the first month was definitely my UG's fault... but the thing says it was sent on 1/24, and since not just the person who was prentending she didn't receive it, but also another department at my UG had to sign off on it, I think it probably was sent.  So now, I'm wondering if the issue is on Columbia's end.

Or it could be the postal service.

Anyway... interesting to hear that there are other people in the same boat!

i'm just the banana shagging your wife, man

• scandalous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 04:26:04 PM »
i share your hatred of them. the only people i hate more might be the people at my grad school, since it only took them 4 months of constant phone/email nagging to get their *&^% together. in the end, some lady i never even met or heard of filled out the entire columbia dean's cert, and she had the gall to put check marks by all of the character/intellect qualities and write a separate letter about me.

she's never even met me or read anything i've written or had any form of interaction with me. i was pissed, but at that point, after spending so much money at the local kinko's faxing repeat copies of the damn form to the multitudes of transient and incompetent fools at my grad school, i chose to accept the weirdness and just assume i wasn't going to get into columbia.

p.s. undergrad, i love you for doing the dean's certs the day i sent them to you, back in september.

Evangeline

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2007, 05:53:54 PM »
UGH, me too.  UG sent the form waaaay back in October, before submitting my application.  Columbia sent me an e-mail on Dec. 21 saying they hadn't received it.  Called UG, which had record that they sent it.  They sent it again.  Still haven't gone complete.  I've e-mailed Columbia three times, and they haven't responded.  I called once, and the woman I spoke to said she would flag my account for a status check.  That was several weeks ago, and I still haven't gotten a response.  They're ignoring me.  But I'm glad I'm not the only one.  Maybe they're just slow.