Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Northern Illinois University  (Read 222 times)

afer1500

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - alexfiu1331
    • View Profile
    • Email
Northern Illinois University
« on: February 20, 2007, 09:13:30 AM »
I was recently accepted to NIU in Dekalb but am really undecided about attending especially after speaking w/ the addmissions rep. She basically told me that the culture shock of moving from Miami,FL to Dekalb, Ill could be a bit overwhelming. I've never been to Dekalb but I plan to visit, asap. I'm also well traveled so it is not like I've never left Miami, I've just never lived in such a small town. In addition to her comments about the city being only 60k people and the winters being brutal I'm nervous because I'm not sure what kind of contacts I could expect to make in Dekalb. The one "pro" that keeps making me thinking NIU is the place for me is its tuition, which is slightly over 10k after 1L. I have other options and I'm going to lay them on the table to try and get some info from the masses. The other schools that are real options are NESL, Valpo, Saint Louis U. (summer institute), and Tulsa. My final goal is to work in government either state or federal but I have not ruled out future work with the FBI or some other national agency. So what say ye?

ptown

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Northern Illinois University
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 09:59:34 AM »
Being from the area, I can only comment on NIU, Valpo, and SLU.

First of all, you have to consider that DeKalb is probably 60k WITH the students.  Pretty much the University is the town.  It is in the middle of nowhere, but is only about 45min-1hr from downtown Chicago (in decent traffic). The cold weather would probably be a shock, today is the first time in a couple weeks it has been over 20 degrees in Illinois. 

Valpo is even smaller, and is really a bastion of affluence in an dingy area of Northwest Indiana.  The nearest town that has any sort of business is Merrillville which has a population of about 40k.  The cancer that is Gary is expanding southward and slowly making Mville into a slum.  Valpo is far removed from this though.  There are a lot of Valpo lawyers in Mville, and from what I understand it is exceedingly hard to get your foot in anywhere else because of the law school's reputation.  You would have a hard time getting into Chicago because of the stiff competition there, and also in Indy because of IU.

NIU is very young so it doesn't have a very established alumni base, but it does travel well throughout non-Chicago Illinois.  I think you would be better able to get a govt job in IL with NIU than Valpo.  Between those 2 I wouldn't even consider Valpo.

SLU is much much better.  It is great for the St. Louis market.  St louis weather is a little more mild.  The concern that I would have is the cost.

If you were set that you wanted to live in a larger city, I would take SLU, no question.  You would just be burdened by debt.  If you dont mind living in a smaller city in Illinois, then NIU could be a great option.

Missouri 1L

"I was discriminated against during the college-testing process because I come from a culture that is opposed to filling in circles completely and with firm pressure."

afer1500

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 12:38:06 PM »
thank you ptown, I really appreciate your quick response. I don't know how to feel about the debt situation associated w/ SLU. I have family support for housing and food, the one thing I'd need to take loans out for is actual schooling and books. The summer insitute is an interesting option just not sure it is worth the risk of missing out a guaranteed seat at NIU.

afer1500

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 05:52:02 PM »
Anyone?

Para Legal

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Pipers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 10:22:43 PM »
thank you ptown, I really appreciate your quick response. I don't know how to feel about the debt situation associated w/ SLU. I have family support for housing and food, the one thing I'd need to take loans out for is actual schooling and books. The summer insitute is an interesting option just not sure it is worth the risk of missing out a guaranteed seat at NIU.

Afer, what'd I tell you before??

Cheers,

Para  ;)
Hamline University School of Law
1L