Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Bad LOR  (Read 1962 times)

jillibean

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
Bad LOR
« on: February 19, 2007, 08:15:07 PM »
I just found out that one of my recommenders wrote a semi- negative LOR. My other one was great but I guess this professor decided to put in that I was absent from class for the first part of the semester and that I was late a lot. I had this prof. for 2 classes and I never missed a class in her 1st one and I got an A in both of them. I guess she says the bad stuff in the 2nd paragraph and the rest is all super positive.It's too late to get another LOR. My numbers aren't anything great at all, trust me, but I have a TON of soft factors. Will this one letter be the end?
Everything else (resume, personal statement, other LOR)I guess was perfect. I'm getting this from a dean who called to notify me. She said that she sees a lot of negative LOR's for minority students- mostly of whom are Asian. I don't know why this is. Anyway, I just want to get into 1 school- is one bad LOR going to make them pass on me.  :'(
UMiami c/o 2010

aestuo

• View Profile
Re: Bad LOR
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 03:59:36 PM »
Interesting that you found this out - which dean notified you and how'd he end up getting a look at your letter?  Subtle biases can wreak havoc in things like recommendations, as any Psych 101 student can tell you.  Remember that it's late in the game and, though I can't give you definitive LoR advice, if I were in your shoes I'd ask myself:
How will this letter seem to an AdComm who has 10 minutes to read my application and 45 seconds to skim this letter?  If the answer is anything less than "seriously worrisome and off-putting" I wouldn't worry, especially with so many other soft factors for him or her to read about.

jillibean

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 07:14:54 PM »
Thanks. I feel a little better now that I've had a couple days to think about it.
UMiami c/o 2010

prelaw200

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 11:37:39 AM »
Submit a pic of your lower back tattoo as a substitute LOR. 
Me Go Cornell

jillibean

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 05:34:40 PM »
will that help? ???
UMiami c/o 2010

jdhu

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 01:02:19 AM »
Weird your prof. would write a semi-negative LOR.  It seems like she should decline to write it rather than slipping in a few negative comments.

Odd.  Also, weird about the Asian thing too...

jillibean

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2007, 09:46:58 AM »
Weird your prof. would write a semi-negative LOR.  It seems like she should decline to write it rather than slipping in a few negative comments.

Odd.  Also, weird about the Asian thing too...

yeah I thought so too. It would have been fine for her to just say "Sorry, I can't." I easily could have found someone else considering I asked her back in August. And the Asian thing-- I don't even have a clue as to why that is.
UMiami c/o 2010

Lil Orphan Annie

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 10:11:17 PM »
It's because Asians are so awesome that some people feel like they have to downplay it.  8)

But yeah. Seriously. That is weird.  Maybe it's the stereotype associated with being Asian...if you're not grinding your ass off you're considered lazy in comparison to other Asians? Whereas other races who don't suffer the same stereotype aren't affected by it? Who knows.

CavemanLawyer

• Ladies and gentlemen, I'm just a caveman.
    • View Profile
    • LawSchoolDigits
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2007, 04:27:19 PM »
Look on the positive side.  Since your professor wrote negatively about your attendance, the letter will be looked at by admissions as a credible letter.  Your professor could be doing you a favor because the letter will look honest, and the remarks about your academic performance will seem more legitimate than a LOR that has unabashed praise.  Plus the comments aren't so bad anyways. 

As for the remark about Asian students getting discriminatory LORs, that's the first time I've heard that.  I have my theories but if I aired them I feel that they would be met with a maelstrom of criticism, so I'll keep them to myself. ;)

100,000 years ago, a caveman was out hunting on the frozen wastes when he slipped and fell into a crevasse. In 1988, he was discovered by some scientists and thawed out. He then went to law school and became.. Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer. http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=CavemanLawyer

Jen2bJD

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2007, 10:57:57 PM »
That IS a positive way to look at it, and I think it might be right.