Law School Discussion

How Bad will this be

DanielN

• who the hell is this? ... seriously!
    • View Profile
How Bad will this be
« on: September 10, 2004, 02:49:52 PM »
I am a junior at University of Chicago. I have a 4.0 and hope to score at least a 165 on the LSAT. So you may be asking yourself "how is this bad" the problem is that before going to UC, i attended Trinity University in San Antonio for my freshman year, my question is will the fact that i transferred be at all a blemish on my record?

would it possibly keep me from getting into top 10 top 5 schools assuming that everything else on my aps are fine?

Also, with very strong ecs and very strong recs, do i have any chance at the top three, particularly yale, or am i completely dreaming?

any expert advice would be thoroughly appreciated!!!

Casper

• Casper, the friendly Ghost.
    • View Profile
Re: How Bad will this be
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2004, 02:52:12 PM »
No, transferring from a community college will not affect you in anyway.  Someone I know went from CC to 4-year University and then to NYU LS.

DanielN

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2004, 02:53:56 PM »
no its a normal four year school and a well respected one in the state of texas, but thats really good to know

any comments on general chances

will it make an effect at schools like hysc?

superiorlobe

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2004, 02:55:40 PM »
Your biggest problem is your LSAT score.  A 165 will not get you into a top-15 school and will certainly keep you out of a top-5 school.

foxnewssucks

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2004, 02:57:30 PM »
no its a normal four year school and a well respected one in the state of texas, but thats really good to know

any comments on general chances

will it make an effect at schools like hysc?

NO, it won't make a damn difference.  What is your major?

lexylit

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2004, 03:01:16 PM »
Your biggest problem is your LSAT score.  A 165 will not get you into a top-15 school and will certainly keep you out of a top-5 school.

disagree re: top 15, with a 4.0 from uofc.

foxnewssucks

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2004, 03:02:07 PM »

disagree re: top 15, with a 4.0 from uofc.

yeah, you can get in to top-14 with a 165 and 4.0.

DanielN

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2004, 03:15:07 PM »
im a poli sci major and will probably end up with a minor in international studies ( its looking like i will have enough credit.)

i know very little about the LSAT at this point just starting to look into it...
will probably take it some time at the end of this year
hopefully i was low-balling myself there, but beyond taking a practice test i don't know how to gage my abilities.
ive always enjoyed reading and would consider myself a decent writer, i am not the strongest in math although i did enjoy the h calc class i took last year so i don't know how i would do with logic type questions.  
are all of the top 15 schools looking for plus 170 scores, i thought it was nearly impossible to get above a 172 and that no one ever scored 180?

why do you disagree franz?

what is the average lsat for HYSC

foxnewssucks

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2004, 03:19:46 PM »
well are you talking about top 15 or HYSC?  You might need a 170+ for those four.  Their median is probably around 172 off the top of my head. 

Schools such as Penn and Michigan which are tied for 7th have a median around 167.  A 4.0 and a 165 would probably get you into these schools as long as the rest of the application was decent.

DanielN

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2004, 03:28:16 PM »
will it be at all easier for me to get into uc becaue i went undergrad?

what type of things do schools look for that set you apart from other applicants?