Law School Discussion

« on: February 19, 2007, 04:38:11 PM »

iscoredawaitlist

• The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
Re: Villanova or Catholic with 14 k scholarship?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 05:43:46 PM »
renewable with top25% grades

Villanova probably. Catholic is a small fish in a big pond in DC and not that well regarded. Plus, top 25% is a pretty strict qualification.

Booyakasha2

• Dig to get jiggy wiv mr. biggy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 05:46:17 PM »
renewable with top25% grades

Villanova probably. Catholic is a small fish in a big pond in DC and not that well regarded. Plus, top 25% is a pretty strict qualification.
big up

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 09:46:50 PM »
NOVA... unless your heart is set on finding interships or other activities in D.C.

From what I hear Catholic is actually a pretty good school (probably should be T2...just on the cusp)... heck I would push for scholarships at nova also, ask "what if I wind up in the top quarter after the first year, etc..."

Captain

• View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 08:44:37 AM »
This is going to continue to make me seem biased, but: Nova. Unless you REALLY want to work in DC, then you'd have to ask someone else. I think Villanova's regional rep. extends to NYC, and maybe to DC. CUA's reach is probably more local. In DC, I don't know how they compare.

So my advice is to go with Villanova.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 09:00:51 AM »
This is going to continue to make me seem biased, but: Nova. Unless you REALLY want to work in DC, then you'd have to ask someone else. I think Villanova's regional rep. extends to NYC, and maybe to DC. CUA's reach is probably more local. In DC, I don't know how they compare.

So my advice is to go with Villanova.

Credited. Catholic is in the unenviable position of being well-known as the third worst law school in DC, and they don't even have the social justice/equal opportunity mission Howard and UDC have to justify themselves. Unless you're really, really into the idea of wording in government, and quite possibly in a job where your JD isn't actually applied to the practice of law, go to Villanova.

Also, Villanova's name alone carries a pretty disproportionate degree of layman prestige for the school's ranking. Like it or not, name recognition really does creep in on people's opinion of a school, and you're bound to see some preferential treatment from lawyers who did their undergrad there, too.

Most lay people I've talked to about Villanova have been surprised it's not ranked higher.

Captain

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 10:04:07 AM »
Most lay people I've talked to about Villanova have been surprised it's not ranked higher.

Oh yeah. In the northeast especially, Villanova has TONS of layman prestige. The UG is well respected across the country, but from DC to Boston, you hear nothing but, "Villanova?! That's a GREAT school!" Oh, and Nova is also well known in Ireland, apparently. Of course, it's still no HYP, but still.

Legal-prestige is a different story, but they've surely got Catholic trumped in that dept.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 10:12:12 AM »

Oh yeah. In the northeast especially, Villanova has TONS of layman prestige. The UG is well respected across the country, but from DC to Boston, you hear nothing but, "Villanova?! That's a GREAT school!" Oh, and Nova is also well known in Ireland, apparently. Of course, it's still no HYP, but still.

Legal-prestige is a different story, but they've surely got Catholic trumped in that dept.

Villanova is and has been for the last 50 years THE school for the sons and daughters of upwardly-mobile Catholics with remaining strong ethnic ties.

This also includes both the Italian and Irish organized crime communities.

Hence, big ups on the East Coast!

Captain

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 01:15:07 PM »
Villanova is and has been for the last 50 years THE school for the sons and daughters of upwardly-mobile Catholics with remaining strong ethnic ties.

THIS, I have noticed. This is true because the last few generations of Villanova alumni have done pretty well for themselves. A lot of the rich kids who come to Nova are legacy sons and daughters of alumni who weren't rich when they attended. BC and Georgetown legacies/alumni are more old-money Catholics.

I think that factor speaks well for Villanova. Our graduates are very successful.

I wouldn't say that all of those people have strong ethnic ties however. They just as often are simply devout (or at least practicing) Catholics, often religiously conservative (if not politically so).

This also includes both the Italian and Irish organized crime communities.

Hence, big ups on the East Coast!

OH REALLY?! I never noticed this. Maybe I should've hung out with the Italian kids more? Then I could be "connected"...