Law School Discussion

LSAT Tutors how much do they make?

sbr

LSAT Tutors how much do they make?
« on: February 19, 2007, 02:16:20 PM »
I was thinking about becoming a LSAT tutor to make a little extra money and because I heard they make decent scratch. How much would a first time tutor make and do you get paid for time spent in training (I'm in Waterloo, Canada if location makes any difference)?

Hank Rearden

• Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
Re: LSAT Tutors how much do they make?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 02:42:27 PM »
I make 15 per classroom hour plus 7 per out of class prep.  I've been told this is below the going rate though, but I live in a pretty cheap place (Texas), so it might be higher elsewhere. 

randymarsh

• Mmmm. Breakfast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 03:25:15 PM »
Kaplan people can make like 20/hr. Cha-ching.

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 03:36:22 PM »
I was thinking about becoming a LSAT tutor to make a little extra money and because I heard they make decent scratch. How much would a first time tutor make and do you get paid for time spent in training (I'm in Waterloo, Canada if location makes any difference)?
you should ask LSATie
http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,82666.msg2007688.html#msg2007688
he thinks tutoring is commensurable for more than just $$

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

why are you going to law school  milton??  after reading all your posts, i think you'd have a more successful career in comedy.

toponepercent

• That's a color drawing of mine in the background.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 04:15:26 PM »
i've looked into it, and concluded it's a miserable existence.  you don't make much, and you may have to drive somewhere - whatever.  The work is not necessarily steady, so you take up time advertising, finding out how much to charge, etc., etc.  If you're smart enough to tutor, you're smart enough to make more money elsewhere.

Hank Rearden

• Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 07:58:15 PM »
i've looked into it, and concluded it's a miserable existence.  you don't make much, and you may have to drive somewhere - whatever.  The work is not necessarily steady, so you take up time advertising, finding out how much to charge, etc., etc.  If you're smart enough to tutor, you're smart enough to make more money elsewhere.

So they didn't hire you?

LSATie

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 08:10:03 PM »
Hey, baby, you need work on your linear games?  I've got all the deduction right here.

::casually unzip::

Hank Rearden

• Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 08:11:29 PM »
Hey, baby, you need work on your linear games?  I've got all the deduction right here.

::casually unzip::

:D

He's like a cruder version of myself. 

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 08:15:35 PM »
you can make $60/hr in a major market.

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007, 09:45:01 PM »

i took a paralegal course once (shush stop laughing, it's required in california) and our entertainment law instructor used to write for the simpsons and the tonight show, and was a producer of futurama...and he was a graduate of boston college law school (and hsrvard undergrd).

davis e. kelley, writer and producer of the practice and ally mcbeal, went to boston u. law. he practiced for awhile in boston before heading to hollywood.

anything is possible...
its looking more like 'doing time' with legal misery is a pre-req then
i wonder how well this would fly with people (like family and friends):
Q: so why do you want to be a lawyer?
A: so i can write for the simpsons

some people are funny some of the time, but milton, you're funny almost all the time.....i think as long as you have some time between now and august, you should look into comedy/writing for shows. 

if it doesn't work with shows, it'll be useful on women.  probably have a higher probability of success than the guy trying to use his 170 with flexible payment plans.