Law School Discussion

t

ptown

• View Profile
Re: So, have you given up on getting accepted to anywhere else?
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2007, 11:05:40 AM »
I've given up pretty much.  Even if I did get accepted to the reaches I have out there, I wouldnt attend because of cost.  The only exception would be my in-state mega reach UofI, but there is about 0.01% chance of that happening so I'm not even taking that into consideration.

Mizzou here I come!

Journeyman

• The road to life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2007, 11:07:13 AM »
SilentSwirl... I could count at least 2 other schools on your list that are definately not reaches since you got into AU. One of them sent me stuff like 1 1/2 weeks ago.  I think you're fine.  I could count at least 1-2 more acceptances

kirkcameronsgf

• Ever since I can remember, I been poppin' my colla
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2007, 11:27:00 AM »
I might get into SMU, but I think I will be living in waitlist and rejection land after that.

SilentSwirl

• Summer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2007, 11:37:11 AM »
SilentSwirl... I could count at least 2 other schools on your list that are definately not reaches since you got into AU. One of them sent me stuff like 1 1/2 weeks ago.  I think you're fine.  I could count at least 1-2 more acceptances

My chances don't increase by virtue of having gotten into a higher ranked school. Pretty much EVERY school on my list could look at my cumulative GPA and faint. It's cool, I knew I was taking that chance. I just dont want it to be over till the fat lady sings. :)

I might get into SMU, but I think I will be living in waitlist and rejection land after that.

Hey, you've got good choices so far! Keep your chin up about the rest :)

Journeyman

• The road to life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2007, 11:47:25 AM »
Not to say that getting into AU gets you into those schools,

but AU isnt exactly a slouch in GPA requirement....and my "spider senses" tell me your LSAT score will get you into at least one of those other schools

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2007, 12:15:02 PM »
Not to be a downer here, but while I don't think too many people (there will certainly be a few more!) will get into top14 schools, I think even less will get into lower t1 schools, especially if you havn't heard anything yet.

Top schools can respond as late as they want (if you got into harvard the day before you send your deposit, you probably go to harvard; the same for other schools, though they probably would have to get to your a week before). I heard the lower t1s and t2s offer acceptances quickly to try scoop people up. Still, you might get waitlisted.

OR, my prelaw advisors, friends, and other lawboard reading could be making me think wrong things ^_^

Your second paragraph contradicts your first

jillibean

• I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2007, 12:40:07 PM »
I didn't even start sending applications out until the end of January and I just finished going complete at all my schools- I just need 3 acceptances- 2 I already know I got into because they are SUPER SAFE and I need 1 that I will actually go to. After that I don't care.

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2007, 12:56:34 PM »
Not to be a downer here, but while I don't think too many people (there will certainly be a few more!) will get into top14 schools, I think even less will get into lower t1 schools, especially if you havn't heard anything yet.

Top schools can respond as late as they want (if you got into harvard the day before you send your deposit, you probably go to harvard; the same for other schools, though they probably would have to get to your a week before). I heard the lower t1s and t2s offer acceptances quickly to try scoop people up. Still, you might get waitlisted.

OR, my prelaw advisors, friends, and other lawboard reading could be making me think wrong things ^_^

Your second paragraph contradicts your first

Nope. I can see what you think contradicts, though.

1. I don't think many more people will get into top schools.
2. Top schools can respond as late as they want

They would contradict if I said top school DO wait to send people acceptances.

As it is, I was a bit unclear. To clarify: Top schools can wait longer. Lower schools can't. So I think you have a better chance at getting into a t14 now than lower t1 (though I think your chances at a t14 are also slim).

Well out of boredom I decided to test this theory using Columbia's stats from last year at LSN. I only used applicants who posted decision dates as well as GPA/LSAT numbers. I split them into two groups: those with decisions after March 1st, and those with decisions before.

For the decisions before March 1st, there were 321 applicants of which 168 were accepted (52%). The average LSAT/GPA scores were 173.4/3.78

For decisions after March 1st, there were 193 applicants, 45 accepted (26%). The average LSAT/GPA was 172.7/3.76

So it isn't "tougher" to get in later, as is evidenced by the similar scores of admits after the deadline (one caveat I'll mention shortly). Though you may argue that your chances are half as good (56%->25%), this isn't necessarily true for two reasons:

a) The committee took longer to decide on borderline applicants than slam dunk applicants.
b) Waitlist applicants were held off until later. Obviously, spots for all of them were not available thus many were ultimately rejected

Now getting back to the caveat I mentioned, I didn't actually measure the percentage of applicants admitted with similar scores pre- and post- deadline to see if they are the same, though I see no reason why it would be drastically different

So what can we conclude? First of all, take this all with a grain of salt since it's only one school in one cycle. However, I suspect you would find the trends to be similar for all law schools. Secondly, if you are a worthy applicant the date of your decision does not significantly alter your chances of admission. What this means is a later decision does not imply a lower chance of admission, but those with lower chances of admissions generally have later decisions.

Make of this what you will. I think it is rather interesting. Though I should probably be finishing my thermodynamics homework isntead of doing this... hrm.

latenitesession

• My primitive mind can't grasp these concepts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2007, 01:31:47 PM »
I'm still waiting to hear from 7/9 schools, several of which should be auto-admits (that isn't meant to sound cocky at all, and is said under the assumption that such a thing even exists).

Tomorrow is my birthday, and I have come to the conclusion that most of these schools are waiting until then to contact me.... Their own little gift.

I can dream, right?

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2007, 02:16:10 PM »
I'm still waiting to hear from 7/9 schools, several of which should be auto-admits (that isn't meant to sound cocky at all, and is said under the assumption that such a thing even exists).

Tomorrow is my birthday, and I have come to the conclusion that most of these schools are waiting until then to contact me.... Their own little gift.

I can dream, right?

Happy Birthday, man. I'm sure it shall be glorious with shiny acceptance packages.