Law School Discussion

Cornell vs. USC - for CA student

Miles Massey

• You fascinate me.
    • View Profile
Cornell vs. USC - for CA student
« on: February 18, 2007, 11:47:03 PM »
So I've gotten into both Cornell and USC, and I am really excited about both, but I'm particularly excited at the prospect of going to an Ivy League seeing as I've spent my life in southern california suburban banality - including the public school i went to.

But I want to end up in SoCal. Is it completely stupid to pass up a school like USC if I want to eventually practice in CA? What are the pro's and con's??

For those at Cornell - can you get a decent job away from NYC? Are there any connections away from the east coast?

For those at USC - are the connections really that strong? And will they beat out the "Ivy factor" of Cornell in California?

Any help would be great. Thanks. (BTW - I do realize the differences in weather/nightlife - but I'm looking for less obvious pro's/con's)

- Miles

Re: Cornell vs. USC - for CA student
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 11:51:55 PM »
UCLA hands down! ;)

Quail!

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 11:59:55 PM »
If you want to end up in SoCal, I gotta say it would be better to take USC even if Cornell is a T14.  If you do well at USC, their placement in SoCal is really quite excellent.  You could do well at Cornell and land a job there too since you could prove to them that you have ties, but really I don't think that Cornell to USC's ranking differential is great enough to warrant going to Cornell.  If you were talking about USC v. Penn/Chicago now that might be a different story.

Miles Massey

• You fascinate me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 12:08:17 AM »
UCLA hands down! ;)

I would agree - but still haven't heard anything yet from them - good or bad.

But then again, I've heard that UCLA grads have a harder time with getting the jobs they want (at least those that aren't the TOP of their class) compared to USC grads and their connections....but......USC vs. CORNELL hahaha

Towelie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 04:49:21 AM »
UCLA hands down! ;)

I would agree - but still haven't heard anything yet from them - good or bad.

But then again, I've heard that UCLA grads have a harder time with getting the jobs they want (at least those that aren't the TOP of their class) compared to USC grads and their connections....but......USC vs. CORNELL hahaha

That's crap. UCLA should be picked over USC, except in cases of extreme financial differences, which would be rare and most likely not happen either.

I'd pick UCLA > Cornell > USC. Right now, I would go to Cornell if those were my options.

bamf

• legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 07:19:11 AM »
How much info have you received from Cornell?  Get their placement info from the CS office.  Then compare it to USC.  I would bet that USC has the edge in LA but not by a huge amount.  However what I would consider would be the faculties at each school.  I only applied to USC so I don't know a lot about the Cornell faculty but I think that the two schools have varying specialties.  I guess it matters a little less if you just want to do corporate law, but if, say you want to do entertainment law go to USC and if you want to do Human Rights go to Cornell

vercingetorix

• Vive le quebec libre
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 06:28:15 PM »
if you want to live in SoCal and you got into USC you are a complete tit if you go to Cornell.  just ask Susan Estrich (who, by the by, reads these posts)

Miles Massey

• You fascinate me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 10:55:15 PM »
if you want to live in SoCal and you got into USC you are a complete tit if you go to Cornell.  just ask Susan Estrich (who, by the by, reads these posts)

As to whether she reads these posts - maybe.(Are you in fact Prof. Estrich....am I?????) But yeah, I know she makes this exact point about where you should be giong to law school in her book, which I've read way too many times. I'm just not sure if it's a little biased. Probably not, but when she recommends passing up PENN or someplace for USC - I dunno.

This would be way easier if USC threw some money into the pot. If I'm going to go full pop, it would seem at least a little better to spend it on Cornell and Ivy League (at least that's what I'll tell myself paying back loans for the rest of my natural life)