Law School Discussion

Harvard 1L taking questions

Re: Harvard 1L taking questions
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2007, 08:56:47 PM »
They probably don't know what to ask.  Harvard is not usually a school that people decide not to attend.

Fair enough, I guess, although I had some misgivings that are basically coming to fruition, so. Maybe I'm projecting.

Explain.

I was coming from an environment that was much more relaxed in general. I don't really know how to describe it, but the people at my UG were just normal people, smart, engaged, whatever, but normal. You could have a conversation with anybody you ran into. Here, it's not like that. I feel like I couldn't say two words to many of the people in my section. They're just oddballs. They're nice, I guess. But I just haven't clicked with more than a few of them, and I don't think it's just me because there are a few that I've clicked with just like I did in college.

Of course, this might be law school and not Harvard, but it's hard for me to know.

sh*t. I was worried about this. My career office has online files from alumni that they fill out after their 1L years, and for every school on the list, under culture/lifestyle/atmosphere, it was like "Sha la la, everything is wonderful, I don't know why everyone says law school is so competitive and everyone is so nuts." Every school. Yale, Stanford, Columbia, Chicago (in addition to known mellow schools like Boalt and Penn). But for Harvard, all of them say, "Yeah, so, there are a lot of freakshows, but you'll be fine." But like, if CHICAGO 1Ls say that everything is wonderful, you know that the bar for wonderful is probably pretty low, which means that HLS is really full of freakshows. sh*t.

EDIT: logical flaw, of course, being the possibility that that the freakshows from my UG don't go to HLS, and that freakshows don't know when others are freakshows. This is almost certainly not true, though.

i can't speak for the entire law school, but as someone who just finished UG at Harvard, I can say that there are tons of cool law students who love to do fun things.  there will be freakshows everywhere, and surely in a class of 550 that's inevitable.  but they are the rarity, not the norm.  cambridge is always full of parties and cool things to do, and HLS students are well represented in that scene. 

« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2007, 09:13:52 PM »
Hey Guys,
I just got into Harvard a few weeks ago and am having some of the same misgivings...
I come from an undergrad school which I think is similar to Harvard in the sense that it is notorious for lots of work and high pressure and generally having "gunners"....but it was always "work hard, play hard"....
I LOVE school and learning and academia....and I know that Harvard is an exciting place to be and that it can open doors for me like no other school...but at the same time I am in my 20s and I want to have fun before I get OLD!
I would love to meet you guys at admitted students weekend but unfortunately I am going to be out of town during both of them, traveling for work and then traveling for SLS admitted students weekend. I currently work in Cambridge so I thought I should take the opportunity to go see SLS since I can visit HLS any day. BUT just know that there is a good chance I will be staying here in which case you can add me to the list of cool people willing to go out. Unfortunately...I have not been so impressed with the few nights I spent going out in Harvard Square but I am really trying to meet more HLS students and prove myself wrong!

« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2007, 07:07:11 PM »
If you had to make the choice again would you go to Harvard in spite of all the "freakshows" that you now know about? Do you think we'll get a sense of the social scene at admitted student's weekend or do all the freaks go into hiding for those few days?

« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2007, 07:37:43 PM »
If you had to make the choice again would you go to Harvard in spite of all the "freakshows" that you now know about? Do you think we'll get a sense of the social scene at admitted student's weekend or do all the freaks go into hiding for those few days?

As much as I complain, yes, I would. The opportunities you have coming out of here are just too good to pass up. And that hurts to say, as somebody who tried hard to get people to turn down Harvard for my school in UG.

Denny Crane

• Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2007, 08:15:04 PM »
I have an unconventional question.

What's the deal with the Harvard Law Seal?  What does it depict?  It looks like three bundles of wheat.  Harvard's other schools have way better seals. 

Electric Counterpoint

• Harvard 2010
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2007, 09:03:14 PM »
...but at the same time I am in my 20s and I want to have fun before I get OLD!

I hear that.

Biz-aff

Catherine Morland

• the improvement of her mind by extensive reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2007, 11:25:39 PM »
Is there any place in particular that we should visit over the ASW to get a feel for Cambridge?

« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2007, 01:26:02 AM »

What's the deal with the Harvard Law Seal?  What does it depict?  It looks like three bundles of wheat.  Harvard's other schools have way better seals. 

"The seal of the law school features the arms of Isaac Royall, who founded the first professorship. His arms, as shown on his bookplate, were azure with three sheaves of gold."

http://www.thecrimson.com/article.aspx?ref=122037

"bushels" was the key to finding this via google.

Denny Crane

• Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 01, 2007, 09:38:18 AM »

"The seal of the law school features the arms of Isaac Royall, who founded the first professorship. His arms, as shown on his bookplate, were azure with three sheaves of gold."

Excellent sleuthing.  You're going to master Westlaw and Lexis in law school, and rack up plenty of usage points for all those free goodies.

H4CS

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 01, 2007, 10:06:43 AM »

This is actually an urban legend.  The real story is that Oliver Wendell Holmes loves Asparagus in ways that a man is not supposed to love Asparagus.

As for visiting Cambridge, I'd recommend the walk from Harvard to Central on a nice day, Inman Square and Davis Square (Union if you have time) to get a feel for the place.

As for Gannett, we just disagree and I think he's willfully blind to a lot of the 'laid-back' opportunities that he claims doesn't exist.  To give you an idea on normality of this place, I went out Tuesday night with some friends to see a bluegrass show (I'm a big local music fan and try to hit up a different show every Tuesday) and we were joined by some PhD students from Brandeis and MIT, as well as friends from the area.  Last night ~10 people from GH and my section (and friends from other sections) went out to a bar and then to someone's house to hang out with her non-law roommates until 2ish.  I'm not a beer pong fan, but that seems to be the scene Gannett is claiming doesn't exist.  It's definitely here and more, it's such a large school it's silly to think that it would be present.  Of all the schools of this caliber that I visited, Harvard and NYU definitely had the fewest 'freakshows' as he so perjoratively put it.