Law School Discussion

Harvard 1L taking questions

• View Profile
Re: Harvard 1L taking questions
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2007, 07:52:21 AM »
They probably don't know what to ask.  Harvard is not usually a school that people decide not to attend.

Fair enough, I guess, although I had some misgivings that are basically coming to fruition, so. Maybe I'm projecting.

Explain.

I was coming from an environment that was much more relaxed in general. I don't really know how to describe it, but the people at my UG were just normal people, smart, engaged, whatever, but normal. You could have a conversation with anybody you ran into. Here, it's not like that. I feel like I couldn't say two words to many of the people in my section. They're just oddballs. They're nice, I guess. But I just haven't clicked with more than a few of them, and I don't think it's just me because there are a few that I've clicked with just like I did in college.

Of course, this might be law school and not Harvard, but it's hard for me to know.

sh*t. I was worried about this. My career office has online files from alumni that they fill out after their 1L years, and for every school on the list, under culture/lifestyle/atmosphere, it was like "Sha la la, everything is wonderful, I don't know why everyone says law school is so competitive and everyone is so nuts." Every school. Yale, Stanford, Columbia, Chicago (in addition to known mellow schools like Boalt and Penn). But for Harvard, all of them say, "Yeah, so, there are a lot of freakshows, but you'll be fine." But like, if CHICAGO 1Ls say that everything is wonderful, you know that the bar for wonderful is probably pretty low, which means that HLS is really full of freakshows. sh*t.

EDIT: logical flaw, of course, being the possibility that that the freakshows from my UG don't go to HLS, and that freakshows don't know when others are freakshows. This is almost certainly not true, though.

You guys need to rise above the prestige rat race and come to Michigan. People are really, truly happy there. They're not "normal", by any means, but they are remarkably diverse, interesting, and well-adjusted by comparison. And I mean TRULY diverse, not just on paper. People largely self-select for the environment at UM.

I think you'll find similar sentiments, if slightly different crowds with slightly differing goals, at UVA and Penn, as well. You get into the top 6, and people are just too competitive and status-conscious, by and large. There are some great people at Harvard and Chicago and Columbia, no question, but that's the read I get.

People seem truly happy and balanced at UM, UVA, and Penn. I get a less friendly read from Harvard, Columbia, and Chicago.

I guess it's a personal choice, really.

Brito

• AOL Instant Messenger - ViolaLovesMusic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2007, 10:18:41 AM »
They probably don't know what to ask.  Harvard is not usually a school that people decide not to attend.

Fair enough, I guess, although I had some misgivings that are basically coming to fruition, so. Maybe I'm projecting.

Explain.

I was coming from an environment that was much more relaxed in general. I don't really know how to describe it, but the people at my UG were just normal people, smart, engaged, whatever, but normal. You could have a conversation with anybody you ran into. Here, it's not like that. I feel like I couldn't say two words to many of the people in my section. They're just oddballs. They're nice, I guess. But I just haven't clicked with more than a few of them, and I don't think it's just me because there are a few that I've clicked with just like I did in college.

Of course, this might be law school and not Harvard, but it's hard for me to know.

sh*t. I was worried about this. My career office has online files from alumni that they fill out after their 1L years, and for every school on the list, under culture/lifestyle/atmosphere, it was like "Sha la la, everything is wonderful, I don't know why everyone says law school is so competitive and everyone is so nuts." Every school. Yale, Stanford, Columbia, Chicago (in addition to known mellow schools like Boalt and Penn). But for Harvard, all of them say, "Yeah, so, there are a lot of freakshows, but you'll be fine." But like, if CHICAGO 1Ls say that everything is wonderful, you know that the bar for wonderful is probably pretty low, which means that HLS is really full of freakshows. sh*t.

EDIT: logical flaw, of course, being the possibility that that the freakshows from my UG don't go to HLS, and that freakshows don't know when others are freakshows. This is almost certainly not true, though.

You guys need to rise above the prestige rat race and come to Michigan. People are really, truly happy there. They're not "normal", by any means, but they are remarkably diverse, interesting, and well-adjusted by comparison. And I mean TRULY diverse, not just on paper. People largely self-select for the environment at UM.

You are an anti-prestige whore and a Michigan troll.   :P

Michigan does seem to have a nice environment, but I'm afraid I'd spoil it if I went there.

« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2007, 10:24:27 AM »

Explain.

I think you'll find similar sentiments, if slightly different crowds with slightly differing goals, at UVA and Penn, as well. You get into the top 6, and people are just too competitive and status-conscious, by and large. There are some great people at Harvard and Chicago and Columbia, no question, but that's the read I get.

People seem truly happy and balanced at UM, UVA, and Penn. I get a less friendly read from Harvard, Columbia, and Chicago.

I guess it's a personal choice, really.

Without dissing HLS too much, this was exactly the impression I got from Michigan. I met up with my friend who's in grad school there and he introduced me to some of his law school friends over dinner. We hit it off right away and by the end of the night I felt like I already had friends there. Of course I still came here, which probably wasn't a mistake in the end, but I do still wish I were over there sometimes.

It is a personal choice, but if you have any misgivings like mine, it's at least worth thinking about.

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2007, 10:42:17 AM »

Explain.

You are an anti-prestige whore and a Michigan troll.   :P

Michigan does seem to have a nice environment, but I'm afraid I'd spoil it if I went there.

How would one go about being an anti-prestige whore? Do I get off on debasement???  :D

As for being a Michigan troll, guilty as charged. I lurve the place, and if all the current students, prospective students, and alums I've met are any indication, my admiration is completely justified.

« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2007, 10:52:09 AM »
Haven't met Coulter, I see.

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2007, 10:53:50 AM »
Haven't met Coulter, I see.

The fact that she hated the place is just further evidence of its gloriousness.

Denny Crane

• Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2007, 11:01:01 AM »
All the "normal", down to eart 0L's should agree to meet at a certain location during orientation in order to have a solid social base to work from.  We have to avoid the antisocial terror that lurks within our ranks.

That said, anyone up for a game of foosball?

« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2007, 12:31:17 PM »
I'm not good at sports.

mufich

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2007, 04:42:26 PM »
Just discovered this thread... very interesting discussion that I was wondering about myself. I'm really interested to visit HLS and then compare it to Northwestern, where everybody is generally more mature anyway since they've all had work experience.

If I go to HLS, I'll be on the look out for laidback friends -- Saturdays in the fall should be spent watching college football, Sundays the NFL, and I am always down for a game of foosball. You definitely don't want to play video games against me though because I am TERRIBLE... unless is SuperMario brothers circa 1996 or so.

« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2007, 07:02:35 PM »
I also come from a school characterized by a smart but relatively level-headed student body...definitely not used to being around uber-competitive types, though I anticipate it as a necessary evil of attending a school like HLS. As for me, I consider myself to be a laidback, fairly social person who doesn't take herself too seriously, likes to go out regularly, and cares passionately about college bball. I'll also be looking for like-minded friends next year at HLS (wow, this is starting to read like a Personals ad). I'm not going to lie and say this thread hasn't made me slightly nervous about social prospects for next year, but I'm taking a bit of comfort in the fact that my boyfriend is relocating with me, so at least I'll have someone to keep me company if my acquaintances all turn out to be high strung and neurotic. I'm thinking, though, that in a school of over 1500 students, there have to be at least a few chill people who like to do well academically but have a good time on top of it.