Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is the legal job market really that bad (jdjive)  (Read 5559 times)

ks2pa

• View Profile
Is the legal job market really that bad (jdjive)
« on: February 18, 2007, 08:55:08 PM »
Has anyone here visited www.jdjive.com? This site seems to be filled with people complaining at the job market for people with JD's. Is it really as bad as they make it seem. What about for people looking at upper tier 2 schools?

ks2pa

• View Profile
Re: Is the legal job market really that bad (jdjive)
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 09:00:34 PM »
could you elaborate a little bit more?

ks2pa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 09:39:29 PM »
meh bump

Jackie Chiles, ESQ.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Who told you to put the balm on?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 10:28:43 PM »
they speak about these things:

- how every school not in the first tier gets you no job at all

- every school besides T1 leaves you unemployable and stuck taking temporary document review jobs for 35-45k/year in conditions similiar to a sweatshop - or doing insurance defense which to them is dispicable

- how people have no money after being over 100k in debt from what they think is a useless school

dahorns

• View Profile
    • My Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 11:12:17 PM »
I wouldn't base much on JDjive.  For the most part it is inane banter.  It also seems mainly to consist of people attending t4, and lower t3 schools.  Obviously the job market is going to be rougher for this segment of the population particularly in Cali and New York, where the majority of those posters appear to be from.

Jackie Chiles, ESQ.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Who told you to put the balm on?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 11:19:49 PM »
I wouldn't base much on JDjive.  For the most part it is inane banter.  It also seems mainly to consist of people attending t4, and lower t3 schools.  Obviously the job market is going to be rougher for this segment of the population particularly in Cali and New York, where the majority of those posters appear to be from.

agreed

. . . . . .

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 02:40:19 PM »
agreed

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 03:47:31 PM »
something against inane banter?

sonnyhodgin

• View Profile
    • Success in Law School Blog
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 02:54:54 PM »
It's no secret that the job market's not as good as it once was, but there are still legal jobs out there to be had.  About half of my 2012 graduating class (and nearly all of the staff of the 2012 law review at my law school), secured legal jobs after graduating.  I doubt that most of them are making 6 figure starting salaries, but they're still doing pretty well for themselves.  Besides, in a small and inexpensive market (Valparaiso, Indiana in my case), $60k-$70k a year goes a very long way.

aglittman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 11:51:29 PM »
I disagree with sonnyhodgin.  I graduated in 2011 from a school ranked 35th by U.S. News, passed my state's bar exam (and took a 2nd, which is pending), and can't find ANY job.  If one more person tells me I'm not trying hard enough I'll scream.  Right now I'm interning (for free) for a bankruptcy judge, going into the office every weekday, and often put in time on the weekends.  He's even published two of my "draft opinions."  I honestly don't know what more I can do.  At this point, I would happily take any job (even one paying around 30-40k/year).  If anyone has ideas for me, please share them.  Thanks

-Andrew