Deciding Where to Go > Where should I go next fall?

Is the legal job market really that bad (jdjive)

<< < (5/6) > >>

cooley3L:
All I know is it seems to be #1 thing most Cooley grads do, and tend to do ok at it.

I don't think any work before getting paid. That solves that issue right there. (unless a Tort attorney or other contingent based recovery)

Firms need new lawyers, so it is good that people are willing to work for them. For me, the whole point of getting higher education was to be my own boss. If I wanted to work for someone else I would have gone for an MBA or a PhD in HR.

SoCalLawGuy:
Well, with the job market these days (I'm talking any domain, not only law) it's likely that you get in debt to pay for your school and end up with no job. It's bad but, if you can still look at the glass half full I'd say this should make you struggle harder.

Nathaniel:
I went to the University of Southern California law school in 2007 and now I can make big money.

1,$$$,$$$,$$$

Julie Fern:
my, that is lot money.  want contribute julie foundation?

kenpostudent:

--- Quote from: Jackie Chiles, ESQ. on February 19, 2007, 10:28:43 PM ---they speak about these things:

- how every school not in the first tier gets you no job at all

- every school besides T1 leaves you unemployable and stuck taking temporary document review jobs for 35-45k/year in conditions similiar to a sweatshop - or doing insurance defense which to them is dispicable

- how people have no money after being over 100k in debt from what they think is a useless school

--- End quote ---

I went to a second tier school and got a job at a local law firm in Las Vegas.  I'll make six figures this year.  I think my class had about a 90% employment rate at graduation.  Although, not everyone had full time work.  I would imagine the full time figure would be around 75%.  I suppose that it depends on where you intend to practice.  You can make a decent living in law outside of big firms, but that depends on your geographic area.  For instance, if I were to move back to CA, I would be looking at 45% unemployment for new lawyers. I probably would struggle to find a position.  In Nevada, the bar is pretty tough.  He have a passage rate in the mid 60% range.  So, that keeps the populations of lawyers fairly small. The market is decent here.  I don't know anyone with a license that cannot find work.  However, unlicensed recent grads have to work harder to find jobs as law clerks, but those jobs are available for those willing to hustle.  Ultimately, the practice of law is what you make of it.  If you are a good entrepreneur, you can develop a vibrant practice.  Most law school grads, however, are looking for a job where their bosses hand them work.  To succeed in this economy, you have to find work and bring in business.  This means you have to network and creatively market yourself.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version