Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Miami...  (Read 14479 times)

rnumiami

• View Profile
Re: Miami...
« Reply #120 on: March 22, 2007, 03:19:33 AM »
Air Tran can be cheap into MIA also.
Emory '10

donvito

• Sr. Citizen
  • Just drifting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 22, 2007, 05:38:04 AM »
i just got my acceptance letter on monday. don't think i will be attending ASW though.  im still waiting to hear back from 12 more schools...although I would place Miami in my top 5.  my parents are brazilian and i want to do some sort of international corporate law so yeah.  it's pretty appealing.  but we'll see.
Mr. Braddock: Would you mind telling me then what those four years of college were for? What was the point of all that hard work?
Ben Braddock: You got me.

Ali

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 22, 2007, 07:54:47 AM »
Donvito,

Congrats

Were you deferred and now accepted?
Or did you just apply?

Still waiting...........

showtime

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 22, 2007, 12:04:47 PM »
I am going to decline Miami. After emailing them several times on possible financial support but receiving nothing in response, I lost my patience. Their metropolitan location intimidates me as well. As other same ranking schools give me $$$$, Miami is now out of scope although it was the first school gave me AD. I am going to write a polite letter though. Hope the withdrawing will open spot for waitlisters....

Really? Did you email the admissions people? I did and got the response that there simply wasn't any more money except for 'Miami Scholars'. This is a bit strange to me though since some declining of $$$ offers must occur which should free up money. Unless they 'over give' to the extent that they believe offers will be declined.

i didn't get any scholarship $$ from miami,
which completely eliminates them from where i'll actually end up.
i guess i could apply earlier next cycle and see what they offer, but if snu comes through with the same scholarship offer next yr i'll be happy with them.

u denver just sent a scholarship offer last week.  no idea why they waited so friggin' long.

Wouldn't you guess they were waiting too see who accepted previous offers? Or maybe, now that they have the majority of the applicant pool (and maybe it sucks) they want to bait LSAT superstars such as yourself with a little money. Hmmm??  ;) :D ;) :D ;) :D
I emailed their AD office twice and the recruiting Dean once but got no response in either case. I guess I am not on their merit-based scholarship list and they choose to totally ignore me. This makes me feel the thing of not being wanted. So why wasting time with persons who donot care you, especially when receiving warm welcome from some other places that are desirable no less than Miami. Money is a big deal...

Reesespbcup

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yay summer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 22, 2007, 12:12:11 PM »
I emailed their AD office twice and the recruiting Dean once but got no response in either case. I guess I am not on their merit-based scholarship list and they choose to totally ignore me. This makes me feel the thing of not being wanted. So why wasting time with persons who donot care you, especially when receiving warm welcome from some other places that are desirable no less than Miami. Money is a big deal...

I totally agree with you and would feel the same way. I'm sorry to hear that happened to you! It's so strange though, since I am certainly not on their "merit-based scholarship list" either.
The hottest chicks go to UMiami

jillibean

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 22, 2007, 07:24:53 PM »
I am going to decline Miami. After emailing them several times on possible financial support but receiving nothing in response, I lost my patience. Their metropolitan location intimidates me as well. As other same ranking schools give me $$$$, Miami is now out of scope although it was the first school gave me AD. I am going to write a polite letter though. Hope the withdrawing will open spot for waitlisters....

Really? Did you email the admissions people? I did and got the response that there simply wasn't any more money except for 'Miami Scholars'. This is a bit strange to me though since some declining of $$$ offers must occur which should free up money. Unless they 'over give' to the extent that they believe offers will be declined.

i didn't get any scholarship $$ from miami,
which completely eliminates them from where i'll actually end up.
i guess i could apply earlier next cycle and see what they offer, but if snu comes through with the same scholarship offer next yr i'll be happy with them.

u denver just sent a scholarship offer last week.  no idea why they waited so friggin' long.

Wouldn't you guess they were waiting too see who accepted previous offers? Or maybe, now that they have the majority of the applicant pool (and maybe it sucks) they want to bait LSAT superstars such as yourself with a little money. Hmmm??  ;) :D ;) :D ;) :D

Try calling- maybe their really busy around this time of year
UMiami c/o 2010

donvito

• Sr. Citizen
  • Just drifting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 22, 2007, 11:32:56 PM »
Donvito,

Congrats

Were you deferred and now accepted?
Or did you just apply?

Still waiting...........

i applied late in the cycle.  i only sent in my app like in the beginning of february.
Mr. Braddock: Would you mind telling me then what those four years of college were for? What was the point of all that hard work?
Ben Braddock: You got me.

agent433

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 23, 2007, 01:04:53 AM »
I've been reading in different places that many if not most jobs in Miami require to be bilingual. is this true of the law firms as well? and ive also heard that you're almost better off not knowing English and being fluent in Spanish than vice vera. that *&^% sounds crazy to me. anybody know about this?

keelee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 23, 2007, 01:43:02 AM »
I've been reading in different places that many if not most jobs in Miami require to be bilingual. is this true of the law firms as well? and ive also heard that you're almost better off not knowing English and being fluent in Spanish than vice vera. that sh*t sounds crazy to me. anybody know about this?

A fair amount of jobs do require fluency/proficiency, at least orally, in Spanish. In most cases, Portuguese can substitute for Spanish. This is not most jobs, however. Most jobs do not have a bilingual requirement, though a lot of business is conducted in Spanish regardless of where you go.

While Spanish is not nessecary, it is important. If there is a hypothetical situation where two identical people with identical skills, personalities, qualifications, etc., the difference being one speaks Spanish or Portuguese and the other doesn't, the one that speaks Spanish or Portuguese will get the job.

As I've said before, and I'm sure many others who are familiar with UM and the Miami area will me back up: If you are going to UM, learn how to speak Spanish and/or Portuguese. You don't even need to know how to write well, just learn how to hold a conversation in Spanish or Portuguese (the langauges are so similar, that if you get down the basiscs of one, you can master the other one very, very quickly). It's a valuable skill if you want to live and work in Miami. Buy a "Teach Yourself" book/audio set and study it 30 minutes a day, 4-5 days a week, over the summer (try to get one that is Latin American Spanish, which is spoken in Miami, not the slightly more formal traditional Spanish). Take some Spanish/Portuguese classes if you have time as a 2L or 3L. After a year in Miami, you'll be surprised how much Spanish you will have already learned just by going to UM and living in Miami.

Also, if you want to do immigration law, instead of (or possibly along with) Spanish, you might want to learn French Creole, which is spoken by over 250,000 people in Miami, but by very few people that are not Haitian.
Going to as of now...USC or Fordham.

Reesespbcup

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yay summer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 23, 2007, 09:08:04 AM »
I've been reading in different places that many if not most jobs in Miami require to be bilingual. is this true of the law firms as well? and ive also heard that you're almost better off not knowing English and being fluent in Spanish than vice vera. that sh*t sounds crazy to me. anybody know about this?

A fair amount of jobs do require fluency/proficiency, at least orally, in Spanish. In most cases, Portuguese can substitute for Spanish. This is not most jobs, however. Most jobs do not have a bilingual requirement, though a lot of business is conducted in Spanish regardless of where you go.

While Spanish is not nessecary, it is important. If there is a hypothetical situation where two identical people with identical skills, personalities, qualifications, etc., the difference being one speaks Spanish or Portuguese and the other doesn't, the one that speaks Spanish or Portuguese will get the job.

As I've said before, and I'm sure many others who are familiar with UM and the Miami area will me back up: If you are going to UM, learn how to speak Spanish and/or Portuguese. You don't even need to know how to write well, just learn how to hold a conversation in Spanish or Portuguese (the langauges are so similar, that if you get down the basiscs of one, you can master the other one very, very quickly). It's a valuable skill if you want to live and work in Miami. Buy a "Teach Yourself" book/audio set and study it 30 minutes a day, 4-5 days a week, over the summer (try to get one that is Latin American Spanish, which is spoken in Miami, not the slightly more formal traditional Spanish). Take some Spanish/Portuguese classes if you have time as a 2L or 3L. After a year in Miami, you'll be surprised how much Spanish you will have already learned just by going to UM and living in Miami.

Also, if you want to do immigration law, instead of (or possibly along with) Spanish, you might want to learn French Creole, which is spoken by over 250,000 people in Miami, but by very few people that are not Haitian.

I have some audio CDs by "Berlitz" ("New Basic Spanish") that I got on Amazon for ~$25. Its 6 CDs plus a workbook. I have no idea what the dialect is though...

I was OK with the first CD but the second is unreasonably more difficult!  >:(  I am pretty worried about the need to know Spanish... I think I will be able to understand it eventually but speaking it will be another matter.
The hottest chicks go to UMiami