Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Miami...  (Read 14370 times)

jer

• LSD Obsessed
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
Re: Miami...
« Reply #100 on: March 21, 2007, 09:15:31 AM »
I am going to decline Miami. After emailing them several times on possible financial support but receiving nothing in response, I lost my patience. Their metropolitan location intimidates me as well. As other same ranking schools give me $$$$, Miami is now out of scope although it was the first school gave me AD. I am going to write a polite letter though. Hope the withdrawing will open spot for waitlisters....

Really? Did you email the admissions people? I did and got the response that there simply wasn't any more money except for 'Miami Scholars'. This is a bit strange to me though since some declining of $$$ offers must occur which should free up money. Unless they 'over give' to the extent that they believe offers will be declined.

i didn't get any scholarship $$ from miami,
which completely eliminates them from where i'll actually end up.
i guess i could apply earlier next cycle and see what they offer, but if snu comes through with the same scholarship offer next yr i'll be happy with them.

u denver just sent a scholarship offer last week.  no idea why they waited so friggin' long.

Reesespbcup

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yay summer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 21, 2007, 09:44:17 AM »
I am going to decline Miami. After emailing them several times on possible financial support but receiving nothing in response, I lost my patience. Their metropolitan location intimidates me as well. As other same ranking schools give me $$$$, Miami is now out of scope although it was the first school gave me AD. I am going to write a polite letter though. Hope the withdrawing will open spot for waitlisters....

Really? Did you email the admissions people? I did and got the response that there simply wasn't any more money except for 'Miami Scholars'. This is a bit strange to me though since some declining of $$$ offers must occur which should free up money. Unless they 'over give' to the extent that they believe offers will be declined.

i guess i could apply earlier next cycle and see what they offer, but if snu comes through with the same scholarship offer next yr i'll be happy with them.

u denver just sent a scholarship offer last week.  no idea why they waited so friggin' long.

Wouldn't you guess they were waiting too see who accepted previous offers? Or maybe, now that they have the majority of the applicant pool (and maybe it sucks) they want to bait LSAT superstars such as yourself with a little money. Hmmm??  ;) :D ;) :D ;) :D
The hottest chicks go to UMiami

jer

• LSD Obsessed
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 21, 2007, 10:20:47 AM »

u denver just sent a scholarship offer last week. no idea why they waited so friggin' long.

Wouldn't you guess they were waiting too see who accepted previous offers? Or maybe, now that they have the majority of the applicant pool (and maybe it sucks) they want to bait LSAT superstars such as yourself with a little money. Hmmm?? ;) :D ;) :D ;) :D

doubtful.  their offer still wasn't as good as smu's.
though i think i'd love the climate there, if not the job prospects out of law school

Reesespbcup

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yay summer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 21, 2007, 11:13:53 AM »

doubtful.  their offer still wasn't as good as smu's.
though i think i'd love the climate there, if not the job prospects out of law school

Studying on the beach, anyone? Just apply earlier next year, I'm pretty sure they have apriority deadline for $$$.

Yankees Fan

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ask+me
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 21, 2007, 11:16:01 AM »
jer, why are you taking another year?
USD 2010

calcio103

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 21, 2007, 11:49:33 AM »
Anyone seriously considering Miami from the Northeast (NJ, NYC, Philly) and somewhat worried about the potential of not being able to come back to the area for a while?
Free Parking(A): Tulane, Miami, Florida, Florida State, Pacific($$), Baylor, Rutgers-N
Go Directly to Jail(R):
Chance (Waitlisted): American, Brooklyn

nfire1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 21, 2007, 01:12:01 PM »
Anyone seriously considering Miami from the Northeast (NJ, NYC, Philly) and somewhat worried about the potential of not being able to come back to the area for a while?

I've heard it said that NY firms actually recruit from Miami b/c there are so many students from northern states who go there.

Also, can anybody shed any light on the public transportation system in Miami?

Lastly, if anybody is planning on going for a summer visit and may want to meet up so they aren't the only one asking questions/running around looking like an idiot, let me know.  My weekends are flexible and I want to check the school and area out before I make any final decisions.  Can't make the ASW though.
DU '10

keelee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 21, 2007, 02:56:07 PM »

I've heard it said that NY firms actually recruit from Miami b/c there are so many students from northern states who go there.

Lastly, if anybody is planning on going for a summer visit and may want to meet up so they aren't the only one asking questions/running around looking like an idiot, let me know.  My weekends are flexible and I want to check the school and area out before I make any final decisions.  Can't make the ASW though.

Correct about NYC firms. A decent amount of NYC firms recruit at Miami because so many kids form the Northeast, especially NYC/Long Island, go there. I believe UM sends more kids to NYC, and then DC, than any other city outside South Florida, even more than they send to Tampa and Orlando. Don't go to UM if you aren't willing to live in SoFla for a while, but the oppurtunity to go straight back to the Northeast exists.

Miami's public transportation system is extensive, but not the most reliable. There is an elevated "El" train that runs north/south, and has a stop at UM's campus. It will get you downtown and take you south to the malls/hangout spots (Merrick Park, Sunset Place, and Dadeland), but not much else. Downtown there is also a monorail system (that's free) that runs around the downtown area. It connects to the main train. The bus system is extensive, but I've never used it. A car is a good idea if you can afford it. Public transit can get you anywhere you need to go, but not quickly. It is cheap though. They just recently raised it to $1.50, used to be $1.25.

Going to as of now...USC or Fordham.

Reesespbcup

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yay summer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 21, 2007, 02:58:25 PM »

Correct about NYC firms. A decent amount of NYC firms recruit at Miami because so many kids form the Northeast, especially NYC/Long Island, go there. I believe UM sends more kids to NYC, and then DC, than any other city outside South Florida, even more than they send to Tampa and Orlando. Don't go to UM if you aren't willing to live in SoFla for a while, but the oppurtunity to go straight back to the Northeast exists.

Miami's public transportation system is extensive, but not the most reliable. There is an elevated "El" train that runs north/south, and has a stop at UM's campus. It will get you downtown and take you south to the malls/hangout spots (Merrick Park, Sunset Place, and Dadeland), but not much else. Downtown there is also a monorail system (that's free) that runs around the downtown area. It connects to the main train. The bus system is extensive, but I've never used it. A car is a good idea if you can afford it. Public transit can get you anywhere you need to go, but not quickly. It is cheap though. They just recently raised it to $1.50, used to be $1.25.

Do either run at night? And are they safe (at night or otherwise)?

keelee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 21, 2007, 03:01:11 PM »

Do either run at night? And are they safe (at night or otherwise)?

Public transport is safe. Miami has an extensive 24-hour transportation system. The trains used to run 24 hours, but don't anymore. They run from approx. 4.30AM to approx. 1.30AM, so it is pretty close to 24 hours. Between 1.30AM and 4.30AM, a bus runs along the route that the trains would take, so there is 24 hour service along the route. All the major bus routes are 24 hours. The monorail runs 5AM-12AM.

Going to as of now...USC or Fordham.