Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Miami...  (Read 14478 times)

keelee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Miami...
« Reply #90 on: March 20, 2007, 03:29:23 AM »
Are you going to ASW?

I don't think so actually.  :-\  I really wanted to wait until I hear from every school I applied to before I start flying out to schools to check them out. I figure once I know 100% I am going there, I will meet people and find out everything I need to know at orientation. Hell, i still haven't even heard back from half the schools I applied to yet.  Also, do you know if it is difficult to get financial aid from Miami? Right now I am a "dependant" of my parents meaning they declare me on their taxes because I don't work enough to have to pay my own, and I also have no credit of my own.  What do you think the best way to go about doing this is? Should I have my parents start to put me down as an independant? 

Also, do you think it will be possible to find a shared rental house in coral gables? I really don't want to live by myself, and I don't like apartments at all, I was hoping to find like a 4 bedroom house or something and live with some other students. 

Doubt it. Coral Gables is the Bel Air of Miami. Houses aren't cheap, and I doubt any student can afford to rent one. They exist, but at high costs.
Going to as of now...USC or Fordham.

rnumiami

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 20, 2007, 03:35:41 AM »
I know a lot of undergrads who do it but the homes I have been to were all associated with the fraternaties and someone who owned it had been renting it to students for years.  I wouldnt say its impossible but you would definitley need to meet people and that could make it difficult.  Most people get apartments nearby and there is also a new student housing area called university village but I wouldnt recommend it because its mostly undergrads.  There are homes listed on the schols website but finding 4 people to rent a home may be difficult and may also become a nuissance after awhile.  I have my own apartment 2 miles off campus and its around 980/month without utlilities.  There are tons of 2 bdrms that you can find in the 1200-1500 range which wouldnt be bad to split.
Emory '10

my 2 cents

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 20, 2007, 12:19:22 PM »
While I agree that speaking Spanish is important, my opinion is that you are going overboard about its difference in job prospects. Obviously between 2 people with similar credentials speaking Spanish may tip the balance in his or her favor.

However, based on personal exeperience I have 4 friends that started jobs in Miami right out of law school within the last two years. 3 went to UM and 1 went to UF. The 3 at Miami all started biglaw jobs making over 120K. The one at UF started in a small boutique firm making 110k. Not one of them can speak a word of Spanish.

Obviously this may not be indicative of the legal market as a whole, however to me it shows speaking Spanish isn't a necessary requirement in getting a job in Miami. Most people actually speak English as well believe it or not especially in the corporate world.

I would say speaking Spanish becomes more important in smaller firms when there is more client interaction as well as the type of law you are practicing.

In all though my friends did quite well without speaking Spanish.

I never said that Spanish would hurt you getting your first job, and sorry if I implied that, I didn't mean to. I meant that Spanish would hurt you in advancing further in your career in Miami. Spanish is not just important at smaller firms, that is a ridiculous thing to say. Spanish is the language spoken in Miami's business world. Yes, you can be part of it not speaking a word of it. Chances are, though, you will have a much more difficult time climbing up the ladder, because the higher you go, the more important speaking Spanish or Portuguese becomes.

Before you attack my statement you should read it clearer next time. I did not say Spanish is just important at smaller firms. I said based on my friends experience speaking Spanish was more important to smaller firms when interviewing. Their opinion was that they would have much more client interaction at small firms where the need to speak Spanish might arise then at biglaw jobs where they are doing mostly research and writing and doing complex work that most small firms aren't able to get.

While I agree with most of where you are coming from and the importance of Spanish I made no representations about one's career moving up the ladder. I was strictly talking about my friends successful experience getting their first jobs and that they are unable to speak any Spanish.

With that being said I also know a couple of partners at large firms in Miami and they also do not speak any Spanish. They have told me that it is a problem every once in a while but for the most part it is not a problem. For example, one lawyer told me sometimes the opposition might start conversing in Spanish and he doesn't know what they are saying and he says he doesn't want to miss out on somthing important.

In all I agree with you and I think learning and speaking Spanish for people who want to work in Miami is a great thing to do. However, if you don't it is not career suicide either.

showtime

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 20, 2007, 01:04:02 PM »
I am going to decline Miami. After emailing them several times on possible financial support but receiving nothing in response, I lost my patience. Their metropolitan location intimidates me as well. As other same ranking schools give me $$$$, Miami is now out of scope although it was the first school gave me AD. I am going to write a polite letter though. Hope the withdrawing will open spot for waitlisters....

umass22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 20, 2007, 01:13:05 PM »
Are you going to ASW?

I don't think so actually.  :-\  I really wanted to wait until I hear from every school I applied to before I start flying out to schools to check them out. I figure once I know 100% I am going there, I will meet people and find out everything I need to know at orientation. Hell, i still haven't even heard back from half the schools I applied to yet.  Also, do you know if it is difficult to get financial aid from Miami? Right now I am a "dependant" of my parents meaning they declare me on their taxes because I don't work enough to have to pay my own, and I also have no credit of my own.  What do you think the best way to go about doing this is? Should I have my parents start to put me down as an independant? 

Also, do you think it will be possible to find a shared rental house in coral gables? I really don't want to live by myself, and I don't like apartments at all, I was hoping to find like a 4 bedroom house or something and live with some other students. 

Doubt it. Coral Gables is the Bel Air of Miami. Houses aren't cheap, and I doubt any student can afford to rent one. They exist, but at high costs.

so where should I start looking to live if i don't get into the on campus housing?

Yankees Fan

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ask+me
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 20, 2007, 01:21:31 PM »
Are you going to ASW?

so where should I start looking to live if i don't get into the on campus housing?

Are you going to the ASD and housing tour?

I hear renting apartments in Coral Gables is pretty affordable.  Guess I'll find out more next week.
USD 2010

nfire1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 20, 2007, 03:57:56 PM »
Just want to peek in here and say hello.  I can't make ASW, but I'm really seriously considering Miami, so I'll be paying close attention to what you guys say after the weekend.  I, too, am looking for cheaper housing.  If anybody is looking for a roomie let me know, as I'll need a roommate if I move down there!
DU '10

rnumiami

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 20, 2007, 08:01:20 PM »
There are a bunch of apartments near Dadeland which is a few miles south of the school.  I specifically know of Dadeland Vista and Dadeland Towers.  South Miami is also a separate city which is very close as well.  I would try to find something close to US1 which is where the school is located.  There are a bunch of condos on Brickell Ave in downtown which are amazing but more expensive.  The traffic may be a problem from there but I think its worth it for the views you can have.
Emory '10

bsl241

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 20, 2007, 10:52:52 PM »
I will be attending their ASW and I am really excited to see what the people are like.  I've been to Miami many times and I go to NYU so I know what city life is like.  I am going to look for apartments that are Coconut Grove, that area is absolutely gorgeous and i'm looking for a roommate as well...

Reesespbcup

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yay summer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 21, 2007, 08:49:16 AM »
I am going to decline Miami. After emailing them several times on possible financial support but receiving nothing in response, I lost my patience. Their metropolitan location intimidates me as well. As other same ranking schools give me $$$$, Miami is now out of scope although it was the first school gave me AD. I am going to write a polite letter though. Hope the withdrawing will open spot for waitlisters....

Really? Did you email the admissions people? I did and got the response that there simply wasn't any more money except for 'Miami Scholars'. This is a bit strange to me though since some declining of $$$ offers must occur which should free up money. Unless they 'over give' to the extent that they believe offers will be declined.
The hottest chicks go to UMiami