Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Tim Hardaway, Gay Marriage, Homosexuality, and Theology - Cont'd. from BLSD  (Read 17251 times)

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
This thread is the repository for a discussion about Tim Hardaway's recent anti-gay comments, gay marriage, and other issues pertaining to theology and homosexuality that started on the main BLSD thread.  New posts begin on page 4.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Under construction - please do not post here.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 03:44:32 PM »
'I hate gay people,' former Heat star Tim Hardaway declares

By Ira Winderman
South Florida Sun-Sentinel

February 15, 2007

A week after retired center John Amaechi became the first active or former NBA player to publicly acknowledge he was gay, one of the most popular players in Heat franchise history offered a blunt view on homosexuality Wednesday during a radio interview.

Former Heat guard Tim Hardaway, who had been making public appearances for the NBA, said on Miami-based 790 The Ticket he would not have tolerated a gay player on his team and would have asked to have been traded in such a situation or would have asked to have the gay teammate be traded.

"Well, you know, I hate gay people," Hardaway said near the close of an interview that mostly focused on his tenure with the Heat and the team's current state. "I let it be known, I don't like gay people. I don't like to be around gay people.

"Yeah, I'm homophobic. I don't like it. It shouldn't be in the world for that or in the United States for that. So, yeah, I don't like it."

After the NBA learned of Hardaway's comments, a league spokesman said Hardaway had been removed from further league-related appearances.

"It is inappropriate for him to be representing us given the disparity between his views and ours," NBA Commissioner David Stern said in a statement to the Sun-Sentinel.

Hardaway was listed Tuesday as an "NBA Legend" when the league launched its NBA FIT program at the YMCA of Southern Nevada and had been part of the NBA's Community Caravan leading up to Sunday's All-Star Game in Las Vegas.

Hardaway played for the Heat from 1996 to 2001.

Shortly after arriving in Las Vegas, agent Henry Thomas, who also represents Heat guard Dwyane Wade, issued a statement through his office from Hardaway that read, "I want to apologize for my comments yesterday regarding gays. My comments were offensive and I regret making them. I'm sorry to anyone I have offended."

However, when contacted by Channel 4 before that statement was issued, Hardaway reiterated the comments he made in the radio interview.

"I don't condone it. And if people got problems with it, I'm sorry. I'm saying I can't stand being around that person, knowing that they sleep with somebody of the same sex," he told the television station, adding he would not talk to a gay family member.

When asked in the radio interview about how he would have dealt with a gay teammate, Hardaway responded, "First of all, I wouldn't want him on my team. And second of all, if he was on my team, you know, I would really distance myself from him because I don't think that is right."

I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 03:45:57 PM »
Irrespective of his personal views on homosexuality, his comments are incredibly insensitive and inappropriate. He should know better, and as a person living in the public eye, he should do better.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 03:46:17 PM »

Irrespective of his personal views on homosexuality, his comments are incredibly insensitive and inappropriate. He should know better, and as a person living in the public eye, he should do better.

???

Nah uh.  He should be better...period.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 03:46:34 PM »

???

titcr

fwiw, i always feel that ppl who are so vehemnt against homosexuality are overcompensating for their own homosexual tendencies.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 03:47:02 PM »

???

You're probably right on that one.  And yet he is who he is.  But even if he objects to homosexuality, which is entirely and well within his right to do so, he still has a responsibility to be decent and civil with respect to the issue.  So, I find myself back where I started...this is something that he should already know and, therefore, put into practice.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007, 03:47:27 PM »

???

You're probably right on that one.  And yet he is who he is.  So even if he objects to homosexuality, which is entirely and well within his right to do so, he still has a responsibility to be decent and civil with respect to the issue.  So, I find myself back where I started...this is something that he should already know and, thus, put into practice.

Nope...no one has a *right* to object to the expression/existence of an entire group of people based on one arbitrary factor...

To object to a gay person for a particular reason is one thing...to object to all gay people based on that one factor (sexuality) and no other is problematic...

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 03:47:49 PM »
Nope...no one has a *right* to object to the expression/existence of an entire group of people based on one arbitrary factor...

To object to a gay person for a particular reason is one thing...to object to all gay people based on that one factor (sexuality) and no other is problematic...

Sure they do; it's not illegal.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2007, 03:48:16 PM »

???

You're probably right on that one.  And yet he is who he is.  So even if he objects to homosexuality, which is entirely and well within his right to do so, he still has a responsibility to be decent and civil with respect to the issue.  So, I find myself back where I started...this is something that he should already know and, thus, put into practice.

Again, I do not think we are in disagreement on this issue.  Notice that I said "irrespective of his views on homosexuality", he should know better.  I stand by the truth of this statement.   I did not condone his view of homosexual people; in fact, this is where I think his comments crossed the line.  To "hate" a group of people is inexcusable.  My point is, even if this is the sentiment coursing through his own heart, he is not at liberty to blast an entire class of people in a public forum.  I feel the same way about Kramer's recent tirade.  Fact is, people will harbor all sorts of disgusting views in their hearts.  And yet they must be socially responsible and cognizant of the way they express their views, perhaps all the moreso when they are public figures. 

So, in a nutshell, it is entirely possible to be within one's right of disapproving of a homosexual lifestyle and yet out of line by mistreating or discriminating against homosexual people.  Instead, I believe that we should have the attitude that God has toward us.  Speaking from experience, God is an expert at dealing with my rotten behavior without allowing it to diminish in the least His perfect love toward me.  This is the model He has given us in our dealings with one another.  And so, as I said before, Tim Hardaway--regardless of his personal views on the issue--ought to know and do better when it comes to the personal side of the matter.   

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2007, 03:48:46 PM »
My definition of *a right* with regard to this discussion comes from within the moral framework...which, given what I've read of Nat's posts, is where it needs to be...

While the law certainly is prescriptive, you'd agree that it falls short of being a true code of ethics...so yeah, in that context, bigotry is cool...

Sure they do; it's not illegal.