Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why do schools put so many on the waitlist?  (Read 1437 times)

tagore

• View Profile
Why do schools put so many on the waitlist?
« on: February 18, 2007, 04:34:02 AM »
Hey all, I've been waitlisted to a few of my top choices (i.e, UCLA) and it seems like many of these school have waitlist from 300-500. Any idea why they keep a waitlist 10 times what they normally accept?

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Why do schools put so many on the waitlist?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 08:30:14 AM »
They probably want to have enough people to fill in any demographic holes they get when they figure out what their class is going to look like. Still, I agree that it's ridiculous to have 3 levels of waitlist or 800 people on a waitlist for a 250-person class, but I think that many schools also feel bad rejecting people so they just put them on a waitlist instead. W&M tends to do that both at the LS and UG levels.

h2xblive

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 09:15:57 AM »
They probably want to have enough people to fill in any demographic holes they get when they figure out what their class is going to look like. Still, I agree that it's ridiculous to have 3 levels of waitlist or 800 people on a waitlist for a 250-person class, but I think that many schools also feel bad rejecting people so they just put them on a waitlist instead. W&M tends to do that both at the LS and UG levels.

Who does that?

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 09:18:22 AM »

Who does that?

Georgetown has a 2-level preferred waitlist last year as well as a regular waitlist, and Northwestern's was around 800 last year that it cut to 200-300 by the summer.

SilentSwirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Summer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 12:45:32 PM »

Really? I Would have just thought it all in the nature of the process. Not everyone can get in. Maybe there are a few here and there that really spark an ad comm's heart, but I kinda think that's a rarity. Pure speculation on my part.

h2xblive

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 12:47:22 PM »

Really? I Would have just thought it all in the nature of the process. Not everyone can get in. Maybe there are a few here and there that really spark an ad comm's heart, but I kinda think that's a rarity. Pure speculation on my part.

Oh to be a fly on a wall in the admissions office...

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 01:08:22 AM »
schadenfreude?
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

h2xblive

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 09:05:24 AM »