Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: HELP!m I need to retake and want to know about the best way to study  (Read 1189 times)

martia218

• View Profile
    • Email
Basically I took the LSAT extreme course last June and took the LSAT in September....to be honest I only went to the three month course for about a month and really didnt take the LSAT prepared...hence why I ended up with a 145 and no acceptances this term!

I know I have to take the LSAT again and I am serious now. I graduate in May and plan to register to retake in Sept again so I have plenty of time to prepare without having to be in school full time.

Should I take another prep course? Should I self-study? Both? and if I take a course should I retake with Kaplan b/c im pretty sure i'll get a discount the second time around....HELP!

randymarsh

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mmmm. Breakfast.
    • View Profile
Re: HELP!m I need to retake and want to know about the best way to study
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 09:40:23 PM »
Milton makes a good point. If you have any room to fit it in, I suggest taking an introductory course in logic (in your UG's philosophy department). However you decide to study, a logic background will help you maximize your improvement and get the most out of your study efforts. (If this isn't possible, then this probaly isn't very helpful, but I thought i'd throw it out there.) Good luck!

LatherRinseRepeat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 09:41:00 PM »
Basically I took the LSAT extreme course last June and took the LSAT in September....to be honest I only went to the three month course for about a month and really didnt take the LSAT prepared...hence why I ended up with a 145 and no acceptances this term!

I know I have to take the LSAT again and I am serious now. I graduate in May and plan to register to retake in Sept again so I have plenty of time to prepare without having to be in school full time.

Should I take another prep course? Should I self-study? Both? and if I take a course should I retake with Kaplan b/c im pretty sure i'll get a discount the second time around....HELP!

first....you need to breathe!!!  it's okay. 

second....where are you trying to go to law school?  and what is score range o the schools you're trying to get accepted to?

third....as the numerous posts and polls and blah blah blah have shown on LSD....the way to go is with TestMasters or Powerscore.  Unfortunately, they're really the only ones who've taken apart the LSAT and teach you the fundamentals beneath the test.  SOME have had great Kaplan and Princeton Review teachers.  And you may be LUCKY to land one.  But if you want to take the safe route and really really really learn the logic behind the LSATs, I recommend TestMasters or PowerScore.  (my personal bias is towards TestMasters  ;))
I respectfully disagree!!

LatherRinseRepeat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 09:44:51 PM »
and to clarify the choices would be

A) Self study
B) Self study + Prep Course

The self study is indispensible to scoring well on the LSATs.  You can't just take a course and expect it to do the work for you.  And...I also suggest...should you take a course, tailor it to your needs.  If you're reading comp. strategy rocks, no need to change it just cause the course teaches a different technique.  You need to doctor yourself throughout the process.

LSATie

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 09:49:17 PM »
Hmm, I'm fairly certain I could take two sections of the LSAT and get a 148...

...but don't despair!  there's good news! I'm starting tutoring.  Flexible payment plans are available.  Be the first to experience the difference I can make.

Available only to students near my Cambridge apartment.

molaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • it rubs the lotion on its skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2007, 09:55:07 PM »
Hmm, I'm fairly certain I could take two sections of the LSAT and get a 148...

...but don't despair!  there's good news! I'm starting tutoring.  Flexible payment plans are available.  Be the first to experience the difference I can make.

Available only to students near my Cambridge apartment.

troll
MSU 2010

coffee girl

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2007, 09:56:13 PM »
 ::)

LatherRinseRepeat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2007, 10:04:06 PM »
now now milton, don't you think we should be the bigger person and give her the benefit of doubt before we JUMP TO CONCLUSIONS on the jump to conclusions mat??

you know, it's funny.....it's interesting how gender differences can come across in posts.  is it wrong of me to say that it's usually the women who write the long posts with a sense of desperation in them.  i dont' recall whether the OP has expressed his or her gender in the post, but ironically.....it's so obvious...it's a woman.

LatherRinseRepeat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2007, 10:06:02 PM »
i guess if it were a guy, he would have replied to milton's first post by saying something to the effect of "what the hell do you know, dips*t, go *$#, and #*#@($#*&**^%^$%#$%#&^*()*)(*(&*&^%^^&%^%^%$@#$@$@$#%^%&*^*(&(!!!!!!!!!!!!

and people think women are insecure?   ::) ::) ::) ::)

randymarsh

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mmmm. Breakfast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2007, 10:07:56 PM »
i guess if it were a guy, he would have replied to milton's first post by saying something to the effect of "what the hell do you know, dips*t, go *$#, and #*#@($#*&**^%^$%#$%#&^*()*)(*(&*&^%^^&%^%^%$@#$@$@$#%^%&*^*(&(!!!!!!!!!!!!

and people think women are insecure?   ::) ::) ::) ::)

Aren't we entertaining at least?