Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Which school? (Suffolk, NESL, or WNEC)  (Read 2190 times)

Journeyman

• Sr. Citizen
  • The road to life.
    • View Profile
Re: Which school? (Suffolk, NESL, or WNEC)
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2007, 12:57:54 PM »
Suffolk and NESL are located in better proximity, but WNEC has a whole market (albeit small) to itself...

In the end, no matter which school, if you want the good money to deal with debt, it's going to be largely resume building, networking, and grade making that's going to get you there.

Go where you feel most comfortable...which school could you see yourself at for three years.
IU-B '10

Journeyman, I am dumbfounded as to how you got into IU and W&L with your numbers. 155 LSAT and you applied to Vanderbilt? Honestly?

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2007, 02:01:50 PM »

What kind of law do you want to practice?

Suffolk has a good reputation in the Boston area, but it's a very expensive school.  NESL is less expensive; and, obviously, your scholarship at Western NE makes a difference.

I'm at NESL, and I would advise you to be cautious with some of the advice of the pre-1Ls.  If you do well at NESL, there are definitely employment opportunities. I imagine that it's the same at Western NE. In addition, ultimately, when you are looking for a job, employers who accept resumes from NESL and Suffolk students will consider your grades, experience, writing ability, and personality. Whether or not you went to NESL or Suffolk will likely not be determinative - your abiltities will be.

Speaking for NESL, you can definitely obtain a solid legal education that will prepare you for successful practice.  That said, if your ultimate goal is to work in a big firm in Boston, there are limited opportunities (but there are some opportunities).

I also encourage you to visit the schools and talk to the students/professors. You will be spending three years at one of the schools - it's a good idea to go to a place where you feel comfortable.

I hope this helps.

Please keep in mind that all this is coming from someone who has a vested interest in NESL, and has every reason to want to believe that this is true. Please examine the job placement and alumni statistics for Suffolk vs. WNEC and NESL. WNEC and NESL are not just a "little less marketable", they are VASTLY less marketable. The svailable statistcs bear me out.

I'm not saying the students are stupid or the professors are bad... I'm sure people are very happy there. But you'll need to be in the top 10% just to get a local firm job.

From what I hear, the students and professors are great at the Massachusetts School of Law, too... but that doesn't change the fact that it's not ABA accredited and it's graduates can't practice outside of MA and a couple of other states without some serious luck and some serious finagling.

Don't let self-interested advice blind you to the facts. Suffolk costs more, but it is definitely worth the investment.

iamprov

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2007, 02:27:55 PM »
I live in New England, and would choose Suffolk over any of the other schools you've been accepted to.  As far as network goes, Suffolk is amazing in the RI/Mass area (certainly comparable and maybe even exceeding Northeastern or BU/BC, to a degree).  But outside of the region, you chances might not be so good right off the bat.

Frankly, I can't understand why Suffolk is ranked so low... many prominent judges and politicians in RI & Mass went to Suffolk (including RI's current Attorney Gen).  Most all of RI's General Assembly members are Suffolk grads.  Nothing against NESL, a school which some friends of mine have graduated from, but Suffolk is far better, hands down.

Plus, if you're interested in trial advocacy, Suffolk generally blows away the surrounding schools (including the BIG H) in the regional moot court competitions.  You'll never clerk for the U.S. Supreme Court, but if you want a solid education with good work prospects in New England, I'd def. choose Suffolk.
Albany Law School Class of 2010

hughes

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2007, 03:15:35 PM »

Please keep in mind that all this is coming from someone who has a vested interest in NESL, and has every reason to want to believe that this is true. Please examine the job placement and alumni statistics for Suffolk vs. WNEC and NESL. WNEC and NESL are not just a "little less marketable", they are VASTLY less marketable. The svailable statistcs bear me out.

I'm not saying the students are stupid or the professors are bad... I'm sure people are very happy there. But you'll need to be in the top 10% just to get a local firm job.

From what I hear, the students and professors are great at the Massachusetts School of Law, too... but that doesn't change the fact that it's not ABA accredited and it's graduates can't practice outside of MA and a couple of other states without some serious luck and some serious finagling.

Don't let self-interested advice blind you to the facts. Suffolk costs more, but it is definitely worth the investment.

So, if I attend a school and know some things from personal experience, then I'm offering 'self-interested' advice (i.e., advice that, you say, I have "every reason to want to believe . . . is true.")? Ok.  A quick point: I don't benefit at all if a few additional applicants come to NESL in any given year.  Instead, the information that I offer is based on both my own experiences and the experiences of some of my classmates. Since I have been in law school at a T4 for 1 1/2 years, I actually have some understanding of both law school and job-hunting.

If the original poster wants to contact me with a PM, I would be happy to share specifics.

In addition, let me reiterate that I would encourage the original poster to speak with students (and, if possible, alumni) from Suffolk, WNEC, and NESL if she is serious about attending one of those schools.  

Lil Orphan Annie

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2007, 01:54:03 AM »
Thanks for all your advice.  I was just in Boston last week and had the opportunity to visit Suffolk. Gorgeous school; the facilities definitely impressed me, if nothing else.  And yes, the moot court rooms are very nice as well - very professional looking, like something out of a television show.  Anyway, I was impressed - although I wouldn't have minded less fancy equipment in exchange for a lower tuition rate, but oh well ;-)