Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Black LSAT statistics  (Read 16537 times)

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
Re: Black LSAT statistics
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2007, 09:52:41 AM »
live #%@!
Look to the left -- Look to the right

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2007, 09:53:58 AM »
Columbia 3L

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2007, 09:55:14 AM »
This last page made me laugh.  Minus the wise words from RBG, of course.

And yes, I put RBG just to irritate you.   :P
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2007, 09:57:13 AM »
 >:(

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2007, 09:57:55 AM »
 :-*
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

Stand under my Umbrella ella ella, aye!!

• Sr. Citizen
  • Exhibiting the discipline necessary for Law School
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2007, 10:28:11 AM »
don't applications have several different options for hispanic?  i.e. Mexican American, Cuban, hispanic non white, hispanic white etc etc... Like I said earlier, I think schools lump all blacks (international/domestic) into a pile in order to help their odds of getting high scoring blacks, and be able to report a certain percentage of blacks.  The intent behind it seems a bit disingenuous.  If they reported hispanics the same way, with no regard to nationality, then I would think differently.  However, schools don't.  I think this is problematic because it allows innercity American schools to be further ignored.  If schools were unable to lump Africans, Carribeans etc into the group with African Americans then they would be forced to face the harsh reality that African Americans are not being prepared for higher education.  I mean it's already pretty obvious, but the presence of black faces, and the ability to tout a certain percentage of black/african americans allows them to cover it up a bit. 

but whatever, if I was African or Carribean I would do the same thing.  The option is there for a reason. One would be a fool not to take advantage of it.  It does say African American/Black, after all.  There is an international option, but if a black person identifies more with race in this country than their nation of origin I can't say I blame them.  This country is pretty damned racist. 

I even read an article once about dark and light skinned Cubans who knew each other in cuba and also migrated here.  Eventually race relations were such that they would separate and one would generally befreind whites or lighter peoples, and the other would befreind blacks.  that was one case where race trumps nationality, and even old freindships.  I actually understand both sides of the argument, but I think you are barking up the wrong tree butterz.  I think your issue is with the system of reporting, not with individual applicants.         
The Tragicomic: Itís embodied in the blues, jazz, (HIP HOP, CORNELL <<one slight deserves another!!!!<< REALLY MISSED THE BOAT ON THAT ONE!!!) and the African experience in the New World -- the ability to withstand terrorism, embrace oneís worst enemies lovingly and bear the unbearable in song.

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
  • you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2007, 10:34:32 AM »
I find the argument "they are taking our spots" as offensive coming from a black person as a white person, but maybe thats just me.

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2007, 10:35:50 AM »
 :D

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2007, 10:36:01 AM »
I find the argument "they are taking our spots" as offensive coming from a black person as a white person, but maybe thats just me.

not just you
Columbia 3L

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2007, 10:37:49 AM »
don't applications have several different options for hispanic?  i.e. Mexican American, Cuban, hispanic non white, hispanic white etc etc... Like I said earlier, I think schools lump all blacks (international/domestic) into a pile in order to help their odds of getting high scoring blacks, and be able to report a certain percentage of blacks.  The intent behind it seems a bit disingenuous.  If they reported hispanics the same way, with no regard to nationality, then I would think differently.  However, schools don't.  I think this is problematic because it allows innercity American schools to be further ignored.  If schools were unable to lump Africans, Carribeans etc into the group with African Americans then they would be forced to face the harsh reality that African Americans are not being prepared for higher education.  I mean it's already pretty obvious, but the presence of black faces, and the ability to tout a certain percentage of black/african americans allows them to cover it up a bit. 

but whatever, if I was African or Carribean I would do the same thing.  The option is there for a reason. One would be a fool not to take advantage of it.  It does say African American/Black, after all.  There is an international option, but if a black person identifies more with race in this country than their nation of origin I can't say I blame them.  This country is pretty damned racist. 

I even read an article once about dark and light skinned Cubans who knew each other in cuba and also migrated here.  Eventually race relations were such that they would separate and one would generally befreind whites or lighter peoples, and the other would befreind blacks.  that was one case where race trumps nationality, and even old freindships.  I actually understand both sides of the argument, but I think you are barking up the wrong tree butterz.  I think your issue is with the system of reporting, not with individual applicants.         

Another person who writes before checking the facts.  ::)   There is NOT an international option under racial/ethnic identitity, at least not for any of the 20 or so apps that I filled out (didn't send them all).  The nationality question is completely seperate from your racial background, which is why it is entirely possible to identify with both.

As for Hispanics, it varies by application.  Some just have a Hispanic category, some seperate out Mexicans or Puerto Ricans, but that still has to do with "ethnic" or national background, not current nationality.  They don't distinguish between Mexicans from Mexico and Americans of Mexican heritage.

The racial/ethnic question looks at heritage, in terms of nationality, race, and ethnicity, which is why an Asian from China is treated the same as an Asian from California.  This is across the board.  If an applicant feels that their race/ethnicity them or makes them unique, either as an American or not, then it is their responsibility to demonstrate it in their application.

lsn