Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Black LSAT statistics  (Read 16243 times)

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
Re: Black LSAT statistics
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2007, 05:58:47 PM »
The term black can be used for anyone, but African-American can't be used to describe all blacks.
I feel as though the Black vs. African-American vs. African Heritage vs. Regular Black vs. Caribbean argument could spawn a thread of its own.  Although you may disagree with semantics, for test reporting purposes, and in the eyes of most people looking at statistics, black and African-American are interchangeable.    

Titcr.  I'm definitely not African-American (since I'm not American) but if that was the only option (ie just AA, not AA/Black), I would check that.  I think most people I know who are Black but not American do the same.

I disagree with doing that...it's inaccurate.  Equivalent to a Spaniard checking off hispanic because it's convenient and will benefit them while they do not personally identify with the Hispanic-American experience.  For diversity purposes, check International or Other and include a comment...anything else is unfair, misleading and goes against the spirit of legislation put in place to assist historically disadvantaged AMERICAN people.  But that's a completely different thread.

Umm, who the hell are you to tell me what I should check?  The Italicised is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.  If you want to make a relevant comparison, its equivalent to a Cuban or a Mexican checking the box, even though they do not have the "Hispanic-American" experience.  Oh, wait, they do.  Dumbass.

The term African American is used as a racial category, not a national one.  I agree that statistical forms should use Black or even Black/African American to be more correct, but if they don't it is completely stupid for someone with 2 Black parents and 4 Black grandparents to check Other.  I'm not Other, I'm Black.  If they happen to put African-American, then that's what I will always check.  Deal with it.  There is no international category because they're not trying to record nationality.  They're trying to record 'race' (whatever that means) and for that I can only be Black, African American, Negro or Colored.  Whatever you call it, that's what I am.

;D ;D ;D ;D I MUST HAVE STRUCK A NERVE...No one is telling you what to do, I just stated that as a black person born and bred in this country whose parent suffered through Jim Crow and segregated schools that I disagree with your actions.  I happen to disagree with your actions because personally I do not think that they are in the spirit of the purpose of affirmative action legislation, which I think is to assist disadvantaged Black-Americans.  Granted this is just my personal opinion, I'm no adcom, and the adcom probably doesn't really care either, because to them a spade is a spade. 

To be quite frank, I think that you are taking it so personally because you are not disadvantaged and know little with regard to the Black-American experience, yet you are still taking advantage of the system as if you have suffered by being black.  And if you ceased to defend your actions then that would be an admission of guilt.  But maybe you can relate to the Black-American, because you've lived in the US for most of your life and maybe you have been subjected to its institutionalized racial disparities.  Maybe this is the case.  However based on your reaction, I have an exceedingly strong feeling that you have not been "privy" to the Black-American experience, how could you be you're not a Black-American.  You don't even know what you don't know about the Black-American experience, you're looking out for number one and defending your actions because that's the "natural" thing to do.  I say natural because people generally take actions based upon their own self-interest.

You speak of not denying your race, but are you not denying your country when you put African-American? African-American is defined as " a member of an ethnic group in the United States whose ancestors, usually in predominant part, were indigenous to Sub-Saharan Africa."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_American 

You say that the intent is to survey race and not nationality, whatever helps you sleep at night.  And last but not least, I love it when I get people so mad that they call me out of my name, the sheer eloquence is dumbfounding   :-*

Aww butterz.  Your ignorance is showing again.  You obviously know nothing about me, so why are you trying to tell me about my history, which also includes parents who suffered from discrimination and segregated schools.  You don't know anything about my own personal experiences, yet you continue to make stupid assumptions relating to my past and my experiences.  smh.  Do you somehow own the black experience?  Did someone appoint you as the gatekeeper of blackness? Because that's exactly how you come across and quite frankly its a little annoying.

In addressing other assumptions (which still make you look like an ass), I never deny my country.  On every single application I write that I am Bermudian and my statements also mention my heritage.  Nice try. 

Maybe we just aren't filling out the same application forms, but when my applications call for me to identify the racial or ethnic group that I most identify with, that is Black or African American.  When they ask about my nationality, that is Bermudian.  That is the reality.  I'm sorry it hurts your feelings, but that's the way it is.  Cry me a river.

As for the purpose of AA, that's the most laughable argument to bring.  Law schools themselves can't agree on the purpose of AA, but somehow you are the definitive source!  Is it to redress historical wrongs?  Is it to increase diversity? Is it to increase represesentation in the legal profession?  Ask three different people and you're liable to get three different answers, so I'll feel free to disregard yours.

In the future, personal attacks aren't the way to go if you want to disagree with someone.  If you had just said "I disagree, because I think African American is a category that should be reserved for African Americans" then that's fine; you're stating your opinion.  But to tell me that I am wrong and dishonest and telling me what to check based on your personal opinion isn't on.  Be prepared to be very upset throughout your life, because there are lots of people like me, black immigrants and children of immigrants, who are doing big things.  There are a number of them on this board and you will encounter even more of them in law school and beyond.  Try not to let it upset you too much, because we certainly won't.  ::)

At the end of the day, no one is 'entitled' to AA.  Law schools choose students that they like, based on the whole person.  I presented myself fairly and accurately. I felt that I am an interesting applicant because of who I am, which includes being a Black Bermudian, and my applications reflected this.  Obviously the schools that I applied to also like who I am.  If you feel that I got some unfair advantage or that I "stole" something from you, then the onus is on you to present yourself as the best applicant possible.  If you feel that you have a unique experience as a Black American, then share that unique experience.  And if you can't then it makes no sense to complain over a message board about me.
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

SBToLaw

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2007, 11:11:50 PM »
Everybody dance....now?

*crickets*

butterz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2007, 09:16:30 AM »
The term black can be used for anyone, but African-American can't be used to describe all blacks.
I feel as though the Black vs. African-American vs. African Heritage vs. Regular Black vs. Caribbean argument could spawn a thread of its own.  Although you may disagree with semantics, for test reporting purposes, and in the eyes of most people looking at statistics, black and African-American are interchangeable.    

Titcr.  I'm definitely not African-American (since I'm not American) but if that was the only option (ie just AA, not AA/Black), I would check that.  I think most people I know who are Black but not American do the same.

I disagree with doing that...it's inaccurate.  Equivalent to a Spaniard checking off hispanic because it's convenient and will benefit them while they do not personally identify with the Hispanic-American experience.  For diversity purposes, check International or Other and include a comment...anything else is unfair, misleading and goes against the spirit of legislation put in place to assist historically disadvantaged AMERICAN people.  But that's a completely different thread.

Umm, who the hell are you to tell me what I should check?  The Italicised is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.  If you want to make a relevant comparison, its equivalent to a Cuban or a Mexican checking the box, even though they do not have the "Hispanic-American" experience.  Oh, wait, they do.  Dumbass.

The term African American is used as a racial category, not a national one.  I agree that statistical forms should use Black or even Black/African American to be more correct, but if they don't it is completely stupid for someone with 2 Black parents and 4 Black grandparents to check Other.  I'm not Other, I'm Black.  If they happen to put African-American, then that's what I will always check.  Deal with it.  There is no international category because they're not trying to record nationality.  They're trying to record 'race' (whatever that means) and for that I can only be Black, African American, Negro or Colored.  Whatever you call it, that's what I am.

;D ;D ;D ;D I MUST HAVE STRUCK A NERVE...No one is telling you what to do, I just stated that as a black person born and bred in this country whose parent suffered through Jim Crow and segregated schools that I disagree with your actions.  I happen to disagree with your actions because personally I do not think that they are in the spirit of the purpose of affirmative action legislation, which I think is to assist disadvantaged Black-Americans.  Granted this is just my personal opinion, I'm no adcom, and the adcom probably doesn't really care either, because to them a spade is a spade. 

To be quite frank, I think that you are taking it so personally because you are not disadvantaged and know little with regard to the Black-American experience, yet you are still taking advantage of the system as if you have suffered by being black.  And if you ceased to defend your actions then that would be an admission of guilt.  But maybe you can relate to the Black-American, because you've lived in the US for most of your life and maybe you have been subjected to its institutionalized racial disparities.  Maybe this is the case.  However based on your reaction, I have an exceedingly strong feeling that you have not been "privy" to the Black-American experience, how could you be you're not a Black-American.  You don't even know what you don't know about the Black-American experience, you're looking out for number one and defending your actions because that's the "natural" thing to do.  I say natural because people generally take actions based upon their own self-interest.

You speak of not denying your race, but are you not denying your country when you put African-American? African-American is defined as " a member of an ethnic group in the United States whose ancestors, usually in predominant part, were indigenous to Sub-Saharan Africa."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_American 

You say that the intent is to survey race and not nationality, whatever helps you sleep at night.  And last but not least, I love it when I get people so mad that they call me out of my name, the sheer eloquence is dumbfounding   :-*

Aww butterz.  Your ignorance is showing again. HERE WE GO AGAIN WITH THE PERSONAL ATTACKS You obviously know nothing about me, so why are you trying to tell me about my history, I KNOW THAT ON ANOTHER BOARD YOU SAID THAT YOU WERE RICH which also includes parents who suffered from discrimination and segregated schools.  You don't know anything about my own personal experiences, yet you continue to make stupid assumptions relating to my past and my experiences. NEVER MADE ASSUMPTIONS ABOUT YOUR PERSONAL EXPERIENCE  smh.  Do you somehow own the black experience? NO, AND I NEVER CLAIMED TO  Did someone appoint you as the gatekeeper of blackness? NO, AND YOUR LINE OF QUESTIONING IS IRRELEVANT Because that's exactly how you come across and quite frankly its a little annoying.  OH, HOW I LOVE TO ANNOY YOU AND CONSIDER IT A PRIVILEGE

In addressing other assumptions (which still make you look like an ass), OOH THAT HURTS  ;)I never deny my country.  YOU ONLY CHECK OFF BLACK-AMERICAN WHEN IT'S CONVENIENT...JUST TO MAKE SURE YOU GET IN THE RIGHT PILE On every single application I write that I am Bermudian and my statements also mention my heritage.  Nice try.  THANK YOU, I TREASURE YOUR COMPLIMENTS

Maybe we just aren't filling out the same application forms, but when my applications call for me to identify the racial or ethnic group that I most identify with, that is Black or African American.   LAST TIME I CHECKED BERMUDA WAS 54.8% BLACK, I'M SURE YOU CONSTANTLY FEEL MARGINALIZED When they ask about my nationality, that is Bermudian.  That is the reality.  I'm sorry it hurts your feelings, SORRY TO DISAPPOINT, BUT THEIR NOT but that's the way it is.  Cry me a river. SOUNDS LIKE YOU'RE THE ONE CRYING

As for the purpose of AA, that's the most laughable argument to bring.  Law schools themselves can't agree on the purpose of AA, but somehow you are the definitive source! NEVER CLAIMED TO BE  Is it to redress historical wrongs?  Is it to increase diversity? Is it to increase represesentation in the legal profession?  Ask three different people and you're liable to get three different answers, so I'll feel free to disregard yours.  OBVIOUSLY YOU HAVEN'T, IT APPEARS THAT YOU HAVE PONDERED ON IT QUITE A BIT

In the future, personal attacks aren't the way to go if you want to disagree with someone. SOUNDS LIKE SOMEONE HAS FINALLY LOOKED IN THE MIRROR If you had just said "I disagree, because I think African American is a category that should be reserved for African Americans" then that's fine; you're stating your opinion. ESSENTIALLY THIS IS WHAT I DID, SOMEONE DECIDED TO TAKE IT PERSONALLY But to tell me that I am wrong and dishonest and telling me what to check based on your personal opinion isn't on. SORRY IF I WAS UNCLEAR, I'M NOT JUDGING YOU, I COULD NOT CARE LESS ABOUT YOU I DO NOT KNOW YOU, I'M JUDGING THE ACTIONS OF FOREIGN BORN BLACKS WHO CHECK OFF AMERICAN.   Be prepared to be very upset throughout your life, because there are lots of people like me, black immigrants and children of immigrants, who are doing big things. WHY WOULD THIS UPSET ME??? I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR "BIG THINGS", AS LONG THEY ARE ACQUIRED HONESTLY There are a number of them on this board and you will encounter even more of them in law school and beyond.  Try not to let it upset you too much, because we certainly won't.  ::) BUT I'M NOT UPSET, YOU ARE

At the end of the day, no one is 'entitled' to AA.  SO IS THAT WHY YOU MAKE SURE YOU CHECK OFF THE BLACK-AMERICAN BOX? Law schools choose students that they like, based on the whole person.  I presented myself fairly and accurately. I felt that I am an interesting applicant because of who I am, which includes being a Black Bermudian, EXACTLY, NOT A BLACK-AMERICAN and my applications reflected this.  Obviously the schools that I applied to also like who I am.  If you feel that I got some unfair advantage or that I "stole" something from you, YOU DON'T HAVE THE CAPACITY then the onus is on you to present yourself as the best applicant possible.  If you feel that you have a unique experience as a Black American, then share that unique experience. I DO, AND I HAVE And if you can't then it makes no sense to complain over a message board about me.
  MY DEAR, DON'T TAKE THINGS SO PERSONALLY, SORRY TO BREAK IT TO YOU BUT YOU'RE NOT THAT IMPORTANT
:-) WUSTL($$), W&L ($$), UNC-Chapel Hill($$), Fordham PT, Wake Forest, Miami($$), IU-B($$), Pacific-McGeorge ($$$$), Hofstra ($$$$), GMU PT ($$), GW
:-| BC, Cornell, NU, Penn
:-O It Just Wasn't Meant to Be: GULC PT, Boalt, UCLA

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2007, 09:19:21 AM »
  NO ONE IS COMPLAINING ABOUT YOU MY DEAR, YOU THINK WAY TOO MUCH OF YOURSELF

Hmm, your posts on this thread contradict you.  ::)
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2007, 09:21:19 AM »
Man, Butterz aren't you a non-trad?  If so, are you really trying to have this type of trivial argument with a younger applicant? No bueno.

Furthermore, IIRC most boxes say Black or African-American. MoniLi is clearly black, so she is entitled to check the box.  You have ppl who are wondering whether the fact that their great great great great grandfather was blk makes them entitled to click the box and you are arguing that MoniLi shouldn't?  Ridiculous.
Columbia 3L

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2007, 09:38:49 AM »
Yes, the boxes say Black or African-American. These schools are completely aware of the fact that black people do exist otherwise in the world, and if that mattered to them, they would create another category for non-American Negro, Darky or whatever we are being called at the time. They don't. If you resent blacks that haven't faced American discrimination are getting boosts, I hope you join me in not particularly liking the fact that the top schools are filled with black kids that come from upper-middle class to rich families. I say this as one of those black kids. The *&^% is mad annoying, but hey.
Look to the left -- Look to the right

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2007, 09:42:59 AM »
Yes, the boxes say Black or African-American. These schools are completely aware of the fact that black people do exist otherwise in the world, and if that mattered to them, they would create another category for non-American Negro, Darky or whatever we are being called at the time. They don't. If you resent blacks that haven't faced American discrimination are getting boosts, I hope you join me in not particularly liking the fact that the top schools are filled with black kids that come from upper-middle class to rich families. I say this as one of those black kids. The *&^% is mad annoying, but hey.

every blue moon, you grace BLSD with your wisdom.  Bravo  :-*
Columbia 3L

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2007, 09:44:08 AM »
die #%@!
Look to the left -- Look to the right

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed