Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Black LSAT statistics  (Read 16848 times)

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Black LSAT statistics
« Reply #90 on: March 28, 2007, 04:40:31 PM »
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Mr. Bitterness

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 28, 2007, 05:21:43 PM »
First of all, saying that white people are "very tolerant and understanding, probably more so than most minorities" is not a racist statement.  It is an observation I have made having grown up in a majority white suburb-then living in Newark, NJ where there were more blacks and hispanics than whites.  Seeing blacks attack hispanics because many are illegal and carry a lot of cash on them, and hearing many hispanics refer to blacks in horribly racist terms was quite common.  In addition, white people (including myself) have been told that we are such a horrible bunch of people for white people did in the past (not even my ancestors).  I have had "tolerance" crammed down my throat from the first day of school.  Me, and many of my classmates, openly accepted this-which is why I was shocked at what I saw when I lived in Newark.

It's racist because it's making a big, negative blanket statement about race (minorities are probably more intolerant and less understanding than whites) based on the few you've met in Newark. Now unless every single minority lives in Newark, or unless Newark minorities were exactly analogous to every other minority that lives in any other region of the country, that statement is foolish and racist. That's like me saying that, since I grew up in Ohio and most white Ohioans where I'm from are good farmers and the black folk don't farm at all, than white folks are generally better farmers than any other race. It's just deeply illogical.

In response to "institutional racism"-so when whites are the minority and are in a position to be hurt by the impelmenting of institutional racism, will there by policies for their protection?

Should that day ever come, and should minorities actually sieze the opportunity to discriminate against white people, then yes, policies should be put into place for their protection.

While there might be institutional racism at the career level, colleges are WELL past this point.

Colleges are well past this point? That's a bold statement. Where's your proof of this?

People want AA because it gives them an advantage-not because they feel that it is morally justified.  It is the embodiment of racism-using race to benefit one group over another. 

People want AA for themselves for advantage reasons, yes. But policy-makers, the ones who institute AA, want it because it's "morally justified". Or at least it's more morally justified than the alternative of letting URMs continue to be an uneducated underclass.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 28, 2007, 05:59:51 PM »
Wrong.  Policy makers want it because it gets votes. 

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
  • you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 28, 2007, 06:04:22 PM »
Dear moderators,

can we move this entire thread or the parts of this thread implicated to the more appropriate Affirmative Action childboard?

Thanks.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 28, 2007, 06:09:07 PM »
Wrong.  Policy makers want it because it gets votes. 

In those elections for university regents and admissions committees?  What are you talking about?  And how does it "get votes" if you believe that only people who benefit directly from affirmative action, who are, by definition, minorities, could possibly support it?

I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 28, 2007, 06:09:26 PM »
Dear moderators,

can we move this entire thread or the parts of this thread implicated to the more appropriate Affirmative Action childboard?

Thanks.

Hear, hear.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 28, 2007, 06:12:40 PM »
First of all, saying that white people are "very tolerant and understanding, probably more so than most minorities" is not a racist statement.  It is an observation I have made having grown up in a majority white suburb-then living in Newark, NJ where there were more blacks and hispanics than whites.  Seeing blacks attack hispanics because many are illegal and carry a lot of cash on them, and hearing many hispanics refer to blacks in horribly racist terms was quite common.  In addition, white people (including myself) have been told that we are such a horrible bunch of people for white people did in the past (not even my ancestors).  I have had "tolerance" crammed down my throat from the first day of school.  Me, and many of my classmates, openly accepted this-which is why I was shocked at what I saw when I lived in Newark.

It's racist because it's making a big, negative blanket statement about race (minorities are probably more intolerant and less understanding than whites) based on the few you've met in Newark. Now unless every single minority lives in Newark, or unless Newark minorities were exactly analogous to every other minority that lives in any other region of the country, that statement is foolish and racist. That's like me saying that, since I grew up in Ohio and most white Ohioans where I'm from are good farmers and the black folk don't farm at all, than white folks are generally better farmers than any other race. It's just deeply illogical.

First of all it is an observation-what I have seen and experienced.  I don't think that every minority I meet is less tolerant than white people.  So yes, it is illogical, as most observations are, but it is what I have seen. 

You calling my statement racist is a cheap way of getting out of having to make a valid argument for yourself as to why you disagree with my observation.  Blanket beliefs are racist, not an observation. 

As for having proof that institutional racism doesn't exist in higher education, I don't have to have any.  Unless it can be proven that it still exists, then AA should be done away with.  If institutional racism doesn't exist and AA is still being used, then it is a racist program. 

My whole point is that student gender and race shouldn't be taken into account in the admissions process.  Scores, grades, resumes are what acceptance should be based on. 

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 28, 2007, 06:14:59 PM »
Dear moderators,

Thanks.

Sounds good.

Bridge83

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 28, 2007, 06:20:00 PM »
My whole point is that student gender and race shouldn't be taken into account in the admissions process.  Scores, grades, resumes are what acceptance should be based on.

Scores, grades and resumes are heavily influenced by race, gender and background.  These influences and biases can haunt generations.  It is not that simple.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 28, 2007, 08:02:52 PM »
Scores, grades and resumes are heavily influenced by race, gender and background.  These influences and biases can haunt generations.  It is not that simple.

So how long should AA and other policies be used to try and "equalize"?  The system is probably never going to be equal.  Someone somewhere is always going to be disadvantaged.  AA only perpetuates steriotypes and discriminates against others.