Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Black LSAT statistics  (Read 16306 times)

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Black LSAT statistics
« Reply #100 on: March 28, 2007, 09:36:45 PM »
Scores, grades and resumes are heavily influenced by race, gender and background.  These influences and biases can haunt generations.  It is not that simple.

So how long should AA and other policies be used to try and "equalize"?  The system is probably never going to be equal.  Someone somewhere is always going to be disadvantaged.  AA only perpetuates steriotypes and discriminates against others. 

You can't pretend to be thoughtful or informed about this when people are trying to tell you about recent research in the area, and all you can do is respond to the thread title.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 28, 2007, 11:12:03 PM »
Of course I am responding to the thread title-that's why I came to this thread. 

You can't pretend to be thoughtful or informed about this when people are trying to tell you about recent research in the area, and all you can do is respond to the thread title.

There are several studies out there which support both sides, so one study doesn't necessarily prove anything. 

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 28, 2007, 11:16:10 PM »
Of course I am responding to the thread title-that's why I came to this thread. 

There are several studies out there which support both sides, so one study doesn't necessarily prove anything. 

I meant in the "Why Affirmative Action is Justified" thread, where Cal suggested you go when you asked for evidence of racial bias in the admissions process.  Maybe you should just try reading it.  Or you could take another practice test and post your score, either way, really.

I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 28, 2007, 11:29:23 PM »
I could post another practice test score, or I could put some awesome quote.  Or how about I try and find a pic as cool as yours?  There are several things I could do make myself as sweet as Miss P. 

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 28, 2007, 11:32:24 PM »
I could post another practice test score, or I could put some awesome quote.  Or how about I try and find a pic as cool as yours?  There are several things I could do make myself as sweet as Miss P. 

Try reading.

ladi

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 31, 2007, 02:01:58 PM »
Reading some of this I thought I should add that not all blacks born in the United States are African-American. I know many black people who have parents who were both born in Trinidad, or Gayana, while they were born here in the U.S. By saying that only African-Americans should be able to check the box, that closes the door for a lot of other American blacks. Personally I've never noticed the box with the option of only African-American, for me it's always said Black/African American which brought up my question in the first place.

It's difficult to really get on anyone's case about being foreign born and raised, then checking the African-American box when, as shown in the confusion displayed in this topic, there is such a lack-of-clarification, ignorance, and indifference surrounding the requirements for any given box.

That being said, I find it interesting that some surveys go the extra step and tell you if you aren't sure, or are of mixed heritage, to check the box of whichever option you appear closest too.

Interesting discussion. I believe the statistics included all ethnic African descendants, for lack of better words. There are boxes that only say African-American which for me is problematic. Neither do I care for the black/african-american box as to me it is equating the two as one in the same.  I am American of Caribbean descent and also of mixed heritage. I will generally mark "other" and specify, mark or "black" if listed  without African-American. Nothing else. That is what I did for law school and am in at my school of choice.

Hispanic and even some Asian options are listed out by ethnicity.  The same is not done for non-Hispanic people of African descent.

But this is the United States and this country is not necessarily known for ethnic consciousness...

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 01, 2007, 02:41:01 AM »
But this is the United States and this country is not necessarily known for ethnic consciousness...

Last time I checked there weren't any boxes that specifically mentioned my exact make up of European decent-including a drop or two of American Indian blood.  I guess you are right, America is so inconsiderate.