Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: TYNs & gifts  (Read 2828 times)

Muppet

• "And we'll pass and be forgotten with the rest..."
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: TYNs & gifts
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2004, 02:39:12 PM »
If I get into Yale, all my recommenders get much more than thank you notes and a heads up about where I'm going.  But I'll start with a note on Yale letterhead :)

TDPook, I may be pretty new to LSD, but I've read your posts about Yale on nearly every thread!  I'm just worried you might be putting too many eggs into one basket.  Granted, I'm sure you have the numbers to get in (or you wouldn't be thinking about it so much), but you've gotta know how fickle HYS can be in admissions...

I will be the first to congratulate you if/when you get in, but just don't set yourself up for the possible huge letdown of not getting past their sometimes seemingly arbitrary red rejection stamps!

Then again, of course, it's perfectly fine to dream. 
Stanford '08.  Fo' shizzle.

lexylit

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2004, 02:54:18 PM »
it's all tongue-in-cheek. pookie does have the numbers but she's also applying far and wide and she's definitely not overconfident about her chances.

absy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2004, 03:40:58 PM »
She has a lot of eggs in one basket, but there are plenty of other eggs and plenty of other baskets in Pookie's world.

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2004, 04:58:07 AM »
Hee hee, thank you all :)

Muppet, I'm half joking most of the time about Yale.  I don't expect to get in, though I will do everything in my power between now and whenever to be a good candidate.  I'm honestly not expecting anything out of them though.  I certainly don't think I'm among the top 200 law school applicants this year, which is what I'd need to be to get in.  But hopefully the admissions committee will think I am.  And if they don't, then that's cool.  I'm sure I'll get into a fine school and be a happy little person come decision time.  I have a feeling I'll be in NY next year, though (Columbia or NYU).  Still a small reach, though much more realistic than any of the top 3.  Worst case scenario, I'll be at USC (which I've talked about in a few of my posts, that it's my safety school).  So I'm certainly aware of my chances and have a very good safety school lined up.  And if I get in nowhere other than USC, then I'll still be at a fine school in a wonderful city, and all will still be good :)

Thank you for your concern though.  Lexy and Absy are right on about me, though.
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

Tom

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2004, 01:41:55 PM »

Muppet, I'm half joking most of the time about Yale.  I don't expect to get in, though I will do everything in my power between now and whenever to be a good candidate.  I'm honestly not expecting anything out of them though.  I certainly don't think I'm among the top 200 law school applicants this year, which is what I'd need to be to get in.  But hopefully the admissions committee will think I am.  And if they don't, then that's cool.  I'm sure I'll get into a fine school and be a happy little person come decision time.  I have a feeling I'll be in NY next year, though (Columbia or NYU).  Still a small reach, though much more realistic than any of the top 3.  Worst case scenario, I'll be at USC (which I've talked about in a few of my posts, that it's my safety school).  So I'm certainly aware of my chances and have a very good safety school lined up.  And if I get in nowhere other than USC, then I'll still be at a fine school in a wonderful city, and all will still be good :)

Thank you for your concern though.  Lexy and Absy are right on about me, though.

Hi Pookie, I think YLS actually accepted something like 220-225 aplicants last year and something like 190 accepted the offer.  Anyway in my opinion you're certainly in the top 220 law school applicants for Yale.

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2004, 03:26:22 PM »

Hi Pookie, I think YLS actually accepted something like 220-225 aplicants last year and something like 190 accepted the offer.  Anyway in my opinion you're certainly in the top 220 law school applicants for Yale.

So if both of us are right, my ranking falls somewhere between 201 and 225?  :)  Thank you very much for your vote of confidence.  You wouldn't think so by reading what I say on this board about Yale in like every other post, but I don't think I'm going to get in, and I'm going to keep telling myself that so I won't be too bummed out when/if I get a rejection letter.  I don't know what I've said that makes you think I'm among the top 225 or so, though I certainly hope I say the same thing in the essays I send to Yale.  However, I know there are a lot of people who deserve to go more than I do, because they went to better schools, got better grades, worked harder, displayed greater leadership skills, have done more significant things since graduating from college, etc.  So if I don't get in, I'm really in no position to whine about it or feel sorry for myself.  But again, we'll see what happens :)
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

absy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2004, 01:24:44 AM »
What a great attitude.  This is my new official philosophy

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2004, 03:06:24 AM »
What a great attitude.  This is my new official philosophy

Thank you very much :)

absy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2004, 03:11:55 AM »
And Pookie is online!

I think it's bad for me to be on the east coast.  I see people still on here and thing "oh, I don't need to go to bed yet."  But it's much earlier on your side of the country.

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2004, 03:18:03 AM »
And Pookie is online!

I think it's bad for me to be on the east coast.  I see people still on here and thing "oh, I don't need to go to bed yet."  But it's much earlier on your side of the country.

And by the way, it's well past my bedtime right now.  Waking up in less than 7 hours :)