Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: TYNs & gifts  (Read 2721 times)

lexylit

TYNs & gifts
« on: September 10, 2004, 03:58:10 PM »
standard operating procedure is what, send a nice thank-you note when the rec is in, and then follow up and send flowers or something when you actually get accepted?

desmo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: TYNs & gifts
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2004, 03:59:40 PM »
thank you note and then to hell with them - you're already in

mukhia

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2004, 04:06:52 PM »
follow up and send flowers or something when you actually get accepted?

Good God - applying to LS really is expensive.  Does the TY have to correspond with the quality of school you get into?  i.e. a big fat bouquet for HYS and a Whitman's sampler for the rest?

lexylit

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2004, 04:35:03 PM »
Good God - applying to LS really is expensive.  Does the TY have to correspond with the quality of school you get into?  i.e. a big fat bouquet for HYS and a Whitman's sampler for the rest?

if you only get into safeties, no flowers

Bruner

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2004, 05:11:30 PM »
i purchased one of my professors an egg-cream kit from NY and bought the other professor a $75 gift card for clothing.  Then, I purchased both a $50 gift card to Bahama Breeze to booze it up.
Weightlifting Commentator:  "This is Gregoriava from Bulgaria.  I saw her snatch this morning during her warm up and it was amazing." <---NBC

Tennis Commentator:  "One of the reasons Andy is playing so well is that, before the final round, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them."<--NBC

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2004, 04:27:57 PM »
I just sent thank you cards, and then when I get in somewhere, maybe I'll pick up something with the school logo on it and pass it on to each of them.

foxnewssucks

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2004, 04:30:52 PM »
I plan on just sending thank you cards and just letting them know where I end up.  You do not need to buy gifts. 

dr_draino

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2004, 05:16:46 PM »
Thank you, and a notification when accepted and where you decide to go, particularly if you might need a letter from them in the future...the person wrote you a letter and is probably at least a little curious as to what you're gonna do with your life, so you owe them that much.

Gifts, of any type would probably be a bit much.  Maybe a round of drinks or something, if you're that comfortable with them.

Annie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do a little dance
    • AOL Instant Messenger - RiotGirl84
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2004, 02:44:51 PM »
Cufflinks for the extra-fabulous rec.

Cufflinks never fail, unless they're ugly. Don't buy ugly cufflinks.
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
- Robert Frost.

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2004, 02:59:48 PM »
If I get into Yale, all my recommenders get much more than thank you notes and a heads up about where I'm going.  But I'll start with a note on Yale letterhead :)
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?