Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Miami Vist...need help!  (Read 585 times)

freakoutgirl

• View Profile
Miami Vist...need help!
« on: February 16, 2007, 10:13:03 AM »
Hi Everyone :-)

I am going on a cruise for spring break that departs from Miami.  Lucky for me, Miami is one of my top selections for law school next fall.  I have already called and scheduled a visit, but the problem is that I'm going down earlier than my friends and I am going to have to stay in a hotel near the University for one night alone. 

Does anyone that's familiar with Miami's campus have any recommendations?  I've heard that some areas of Coral Gables/South Miami can get a little sketchy. 

Would you recommend staying in a hotel near the airport or near the actual university. 

Any help would be appreciated :-)

THANKS!
Major: Psychology & Political Science
GPA: 3.5
EC's: SGA Senator, Development Council VP, College of Arts & Sciences Ambassador, University Appeals Board, Freshman Orientation Teacher, College Dems, Studying abroad in France
Dec '06: too embarassed to post
Feb '07: hoping for above a 160

knicksfan0323

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Miami Vist...need help!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 11:29:05 AM »

smile

• 168/3.5
    • View Profile
    • For the love of God, someone accept me!
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 11:39:56 AM »
If you're going by yourself and its only for one night, you might as well try to get a room at the University Holiday Inn.  Its right across the street from campus and isn't sketchy at all.  If you want to go out, look into the coconut grove hotels listed in that link.

danielle83

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 11:52:55 AM »
Agreed.  I went to visit and I stayed at the Holiday Inn right near campus.  The hotel was fine, it was like 15 mins from the airport and across the street from the shuttle that takes you around campus.  Tell them you are visiting the school and you get a discount rate.

keelee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 05:28:11 PM »

Does anyone that's familiar with Miami's campus have any recommendations?  I've heard that some areas of Coral Gables/South Miami can get a little sketchy. 

Coral Gables residents have an average household income of over $100,000. It is home to the country's highest volume Ferrari dealer, and the downtown area features a Nordstorm's, Burberry, Gucci, and Neiman Marcus, among others. It is to Miami what Beverly Hills is to Los Angeles. Trust me, there is nothing "sketchy" about Coral Gables, but brush up on the local langauge (Spanish).

As suggested, stay at the Holiday Inn University, for convience sakes, but any hotel in Coral Gables will do. If you want to stay in a fun area, stay in Coconut Grove, which is the hang-out/tourist area and close to UM.
Going to as of now...USC or Fordham.

freakoutgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 10:04:21 PM »
Thanks guys.  This information really helps out a  lot.  I was originally thinking of staying in the Biltmore since I am just staying for one night.  Would anyone happen to know if the Biltmore is pretty close to UM's campus?
Major: Psychology & Political Science
GPA: 3.5
EC's: SGA Senator, Development Council VP, College of Arts & Sciences Ambassador, University Appeals Board, Freshman Orientation Teacher, College Dems, Studying abroad in France
Dec '06: too embarassed to post
Feb '07: hoping for above a 160

smile

• 168/3.5
    • View Profile
    • For the love of God, someone accept me!
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2007, 03:12:19 PM »
The Biltmore is probably about a mile away, maybe two.  Its a very nice hotel and supposedly haunted!  Its also out in a residential area, so don't be expecting to walk anywhere if you stay there.