Law School Discussion

which stage is most stressful?

lexylit

which stage is most stressful?
« on: September 10, 2004, 12:42:25 PM »
right before the lsat, or after it waiting for your score? doing applications, or sitting around waiting for decisions?  :-\

i have not been sleeping, and for no good reason. i can't figure out why, b/c my lsats are long taken and apps aren't even out yet so it's not like i can start checking the mail and waiting to get my heart broken. i'm not consciously stressing about apps, b/c theyre coming together fine. so-- will it get worse when they go out, or better?

desmo

• View Profile
Re: which stage is most stressful?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2004, 12:44:29 PM »
Before the test I had something to focus on and spend time on.
After the test I focused on the app, the ps, etc.
Since I've submitted my app, I'm stressing out because there's nothing to do but WAIT.

dr_draino

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2004, 01:03:43 PM »
When I applied to grad school the first time around, I applied to 6 schools.  Once all the apps were off I slept a little better.  The first rejection came a little earlier than I expected...it was from a school that I wasn't certain I'd get in, but was confident about.  I stopped sleeping so well then.  About 1.5 months went by (pretty late in the "acceptance" cycle) and I got my second rejection letter...from a school I expected to get into.  At that stage I not only didn't sleep but I didn't eat for a week as I tried to figure out what the heck I was gonna do since I'd pinned all my plans on being in grads school the following year...

...then I drank for a week straight and everything seemed much better...I was even able to chuckle at the other 4 rejection letters.

I don't expect to sleep well again until I receive the first acceptance letter...my paranoia may even have me apply to Cooley this year just to make sure...

dgatl

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2004, 01:05:17 PM »
or sitting around waiting for decisions?

that's the one

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2004, 01:44:37 PM »
Well, it was annoying at best to wait for LSAT scores, but nothing can compare to the stress leading up to.  I think this is a slightly different situation, since it's easier (at least for me, I think) to put together a decent statement(s) and fill in some random blanks.  So I think it'll be a little more excruciating waiting for acceptance or rejection letters.  But it'll also be like the LSAT in a way... I'll just be glad to have all the files complete, all the apps. in the mail, and to be done with the whole process.  That I will not miss.

Then, I'll have to start stressing over financial aid.  For me, that'll be huge, I think.

ZAP

lexylit

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2004, 01:47:36 PM »

dgatl

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2004, 01:53:14 PM »
oy  ::) it gets worse?

you bet your ass it gets worse.  you have total control over the LSAT, your LOR's and your application itself.  the decision process is where you lose control.  last year in november, i was literally crying to a friend that i was going to graduate without a job and without any chances to go to a (good) law school - i already had been admitted to Illinois but I wanted more.  Then the decisions started rolling in and I started getting 2nd interviews for jobs.

By the time i got rejections from my last few schools, i just let the envelopes sit on the floor of my car for a few days, as I got supremely uninterested in what they had to say.  But that was in March, when I knew that I was going to be coming up to Emory.

And then I got a job in Miami and I had to do a *&^% load of soul searching to figure out what I really wanted to do with my life.  But it worked out.  Happy Jewish New Year.  Mazeltov.

lexylit

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2004, 01:55:00 PM »
thanks! im going home for the high holy days  :D where my mom will say, i hope you dont get into penn or stanford so you can go to BC

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2004, 01:56:38 PM »
Does high holy days have anything to do with smoking weed?

ZAP

thanks! im going home for the high holy days  :D where my mom will say, i hope you dont get into penn or stanford so you can go to BC

lexylit

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2004, 02:00:05 PM »
quite the contrary-- we repent for our sins. rosh hashanah is first and yom kippur is second; the former is the new year and the latter is the day of atonement. just, uhh, a little education for ya  :-*