Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: T19-T27 Battle Royal  (Read 1878 times)

CowboyLawyer

• View Profile
T19-T27 Battle Royal
« on: February 16, 2007, 12:11:22 AM »
So I've gotten into BC, BU, Notre Dame $, Washington and Lee $$, William and Mary $$, and George Washington. I'm not really locked into any one school and I'm not really set on any one place to practice, and I'm open to living anywhere, but I am really interested in trying to get the best possible job out of Law School and keeping my expenses down. I know, It's not exactly the noblest thing ever...
So where do you think?
Spaghetti Westerns (Pending): Cornell, Duke,
The Man with No Name (Attending):
The Good(Accepted): BC $$, George Washington $,Notre Dame $,BU, Washington and Lee $$, William and Mary $$, American
The Bad(Rejected):Georgetown,UPenn,Harvard 
The Ugly(Waitlisted):Vandy, UTexas, Washington U

Pelikan2

• View Profile
Re: T19-T27 Battle Royal
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 01:17:21 AM »
I'm in much the same positions, with only Vandy added to your list, so I'll be interested to read responses. 

Personally, I'm drawn toward W&L due to both a great scholarship offer and the fact that their students seem to be very pleased with the school and surroundings.  For best employment prospects though, it sounds like GW is king of your list, followed by BU and BC.  My only reservation regarding W&L are their employment numbers - showing lower salaries and not a lot of geographical disbursement of alums. 

If I don't get into my any reach schools, it'll come down to W&L and Vandy, I think. 

Cornell Law 2010

GothamBaller22

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 01:22:26 AM »
Man, do you realize how fortunate you are to have recieved 80,000 frickin usa dollars from Washington and Lee. I wont kid you, the school is not sexy, but the idea of getting a great education at that price is ridiculous.

Lenny

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 08:06:32 AM »
I have discussed the average starting salary figures elsewhere on this board and why you should not even look at them when choosing any school - if you do a search of my posts, you should come across it.  But suffice to say that the average starting salary statistic is a horrible indicator for any school.  Pay attention to whatever else you want when picking schools, but please do not make the mistake of basing your decision in any way on the average starting salary statistic.

CowboyLawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 10:09:09 AM »
thanks, I don't plan on it. I know that statistic is very misleading and a poor indicator of real employment opportunities. It seems that some of the schools have an advantage in a respective job market due to location and alumni network however. This is something that I will probably pay more attention to. I think for me the top schools are BC, Notre Dame, and GW with W&L not far behind.
Spaghetti Westerns (Pending): Cornell, Duke,
The Man with No Name (Attending):
The Good(Accepted): BC $$, George Washington $,Notre Dame $,BU, Washington and Lee $$, William and Mary $$, American
The Bad(Rejected):Georgetown,UPenn,Harvard 
The Ugly(Waitlisted):Vandy, UTexas, Washington U

prelaw200

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 10:12:15 AM »
Vandy has the best firm placement of these schools, followed by BC and GW.
Me Go Cornell

SugarJ

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 02:47:55 PM »
tag because I'm in your boat (with Vandy and a few others added). I feel like Vandy, followed by GW, would be your best bet in terms of employment prospects across the country. These schools are all great, but not all nationally-known...
Cornell Class of 2011 (deferring for a year!)

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=30secondstolaw

RUMike

• Sr. Citizen
  • I switched it up with a self tar.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mike101985
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2007, 04:12:18 PM »
Notre Dame...it's the most national and they're giving you $$$!

Pelikan2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2007, 04:24:23 PM »
I agree that Vandy is probably the best for employment prospects (didn't include it earlier because he hasn't been accepted there). 

Lenny - I read your earlier post, and I'm comforted by your point.  I'm sure that W&L suffers on those measures for its size and relative success at placing in clerkships.   More than money though, I worry about geographic placement (in general and not specifically with regard to W&L).

Anyone know how generous Vandy is with merit money?  I was disappointed to find I was just on the bad side of that line at GW. 
Cornell Law 2010

gratif

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.7/167
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007, 08:57:04 PM »
Despite the slight drop in the US News rankings this year, I'd still think you'd be best off at Notre Dame.  It's a stones throw from chicago and has the most recognized name on your list.  ... could be biased though, I'm from near chi-town.