Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Too late to matter, but I'm asking anyways (about JD/MBA)  (Read 249 times)

marlinspike

• Sr. Citizen
  • Why yes, I am the one who took my avatar photo.
    • View Profile
    • Richard's Photos
Too late to matter, but I'm asking anyways (about JD/MBA)
« on: February 15, 2007, 10:06:11 PM »
If I wanted to do a JD/MBA program, is it too late to apply (i.e. did I have to apply when I applied to law school), or can I apply after I'm there?
Gas: UMD, W&M ($$), Wake Forest, Emory, GW, GMU
Clutch: Michigan, Notre Dame, UVA, AU (yield protect?), Duke, BC (Michigan told me no on 6/13 - Thank you MI for being courteous and letting me know)
Brakes: Gtown.
(3.23 169)

knicksfan0323

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Too late to matter, but I'm asking anyways (about JD/MBA)
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 11:13:10 PM »
If I wanted to do a JD/MBA program, is it too late to apply (i.e. did I have to apply when I applied to law school), or can I apply after I'm there?

Some let you apply later on... You do the business part the second year so its not like you'd be missing out right. I am considering this also but I have mostly negative things about it from a wide variety of people, so I was going to ask about it at some of the admitted student weekends to get a feel for what a jd/mba will do for you. Good luck!

Nart

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 03:58:53 AM »
Well I know some schools only let you apply after your first year of law school.  Also, some have a GPA requirement as a prereq to get a second degree.  Check the school website, they should have something on it.

Pike#11

• Sr. Citizen
  • I wish I was here...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 08:58:26 AM »
If you don't have a business undergrad or any business/management experience in the real world, you'll get a good (depending on the school) education on business.  I've talked to lawyers who are completely incompetent when it comes to understanding how business works.  If you want to work for a big firm, you probably don't really need an MBA.  If you want to eventually work in management, run your own firm, or maybe even General Counsel, then the MBA might be beneficial to you.
Attending:  Florida
Accepted:  American, Florida, Florida State, Temple ($36K), Miami ($69K), Baylor
Waitlist:  UNC
Rejected:  Berkeley, Georgetown, George Mason, Duke