Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Ann Arbor Summer Sublets?  (Read 487 times)

nowitzski

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Ann Arbor Summer Sublets?
« on: February 15, 2007, 07:06:31 PM »
Hey,

I'm wondering what I should expect to pay for a summer sublet (per month) as a UM summer starter.  (Sorry if this has been covered thoroughly in other boards)

Option 1: Within 5 minutes of Law Quad, basic one bedroom, one bath, one "living space" apartment

Option 2: Around 10 minutes from LQ, same quality

Option 3: 15 minutes away from LQ/boarderline must drive car to class, same quality.

Thanks for the help!

nowitzski

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Arbor Summer Sublets?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 07:13:12 PM »
I should add that I've heard crazy things, like $300 for an entire summer. 

pixiepie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 11:32:13 PM »
Summer in Ann Arbor is really nice, not only because the weather is beautiful, but because the campus gets really empty and chill. It's the only time of year when you can reliably find parking, for example. That said, I've never heard of a sublet going for 300 dollars for the summer. Routinely, they go for 200-300/month. I got mine for 250 and it was about 2 blocks away from the law school, but it was a room in a house. If you want an apartment to yourself and you want it to be somewhat nice, I'd say you're looking more to the 350 (before haggling). There are a lot more people looking to lease than rent though, so you might get a really great bargain. The area right around the law quad is bordered by the main campus to the north, the business school and dorms to the east and the union and more dorms to the west, so there's not a huge amount of apartments that are actually 5 minutes from the law quad (I lived off Thompson near the Union). There's tons that are 10 minutes though. I guess just check craigslist, marketplace.umich.edu and the sublet section of the UM housing website. And haggle a lot. If you live on North Campus, apartments are a lot nicer and cheaper and there's a bus that will drop you right at the law quad (well, across the street)... but you'd be living on North Campus. And that's just no fun.

Data

• Sr. Citizen
  • They call me Data.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 12:53:15 AM »
Summer in Ann Arbor is really nice, not only because the weather is beautiful, but because the campus gets really empty and chill. It's the only time of year when you can reliably find parking, for example. That said, I've never heard of a sublet going for 300 dollars for the summer. Routinely, they go for 200-300/month. I got mine for 250 and it was about 2 blocks away from the law school, but it was a room in a house. If you want an apartment to yourself and you want it to be somewhat nice, I'd say you're looking more to the 350 (before haggling). There are a lot more people looking to lease than rent though, so you might get a really great bargain. The area right around the law quad is bordered by the main campus to the north, the business school and dorms to the east and the union and more dorms to the west, so there's not a huge amount of apartments that are actually 5 minutes from the law quad (I lived off Thompson near the Union). There's tons that are 10 minutes though. I guess just check craigslist, marketplace.umich.edu and the sublet section of the UM housing website. And haggle a lot. If you live on North Campus, apartments are a lot nicer and cheaper and there's a bus that will drop you right at the law quad (well, across the street)... but you'd be living on North Campus. And that's just no fun.

North Campus is a barren wasteland with absolutely no personality (I mean c'mon it's chalk full of engineer/architectural students) in an isolated location from anywhere near U of M Central Campus which IS the University.  North campus feels like a red-headed step kid U of M satellite campus or something.  But hey, that may be your thing... It really just depends on what atmosphere you want to be in.  I'm assuming you'd like to experience the school in its entirety so I suggest finding one of the many apartments scattered along Dexter/Washtenaw streets.  Or, if you want to be even closer to the law school, it is possible to find them just off of Central Campus- but they will most certainly be more expensive.
Yale 2010