Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Where do you practice if you go to Notre Dame?  (Read 612 times)

CowboyLawyer

• View Profile
Where do you practice if you go to Notre Dame?
« on: February 15, 2007, 06:41:19 PM »
Just got accepted to Notre Dame today and they offered me some money too. Pretty excited but I'm just wondering what career asperations you can have coming from south bend. There can't be too many BigLaw jobs in the area. Do the go to DC, Chicago? They seem to have good career prospects but I don't understand where. Also, if anybody could compare them to BC in terms of job prospects that would be great.
Spaghetti Westerns (Pending): Cornell, Duke,
The Man with No Name (Attending):
The Good(Accepted): BC $$, George Washington $,Notre Dame $,BU, Washington and Lee $$, William and Mary $$, American
The Bad(Rejected):Georgetown,UPenn,Harvard 
The Ugly(Waitlisted):Vandy, UTexas, Washington U

RUMike

• Sr. Citizen
  • I switched it up with a self tar.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mike101985
    • View Profile
Re: Where do you practice if you go to Notre Dame?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 06:57:38 PM »
According to their website, mostly IL, CA, and NY. This would make them more national than BC. Congrats on your acceptance!

CowboyLawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 08:04:16 PM »
Hey thanks alot. Yeah it seems to be a little more national, but how is it in terms of placing at the BigLaw firms and getting top paying jobs compared to BC? They seem pretty much the same to me. Some people have gone on record saying ND is a little overrated although I have a tough time beleiving that since the name is such a big one.
Spaghetti Westerns (Pending): Cornell, Duke,
The Man with No Name (Attending):
The Good(Accepted): BC $$, George Washington $,Notre Dame $,BU, Washington and Lee $$, William and Mary $$, American
The Bad(Rejected):Georgetown,UPenn,Harvard 
The Ugly(Waitlisted):Vandy, UTexas, Washington U

Lampshade Punk

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Even in the quietest moments."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 08:52:57 PM »
Hey thanks alot. Yeah it seems to be a little more national, but how is it in terms of placing at the BigLaw firms and getting top paying jobs compared to BC? They seem pretty much the same to me. Some people have gone on record saying ND is a little overrated although I have a tough time beleiving that since the name is such a big one.

They regularly place at Skadden, Latham Watkins, Jones Day, and Gibson, Dunn.  As far as how many per class, I am not sure. on their website you can find the hires from 2005 and you can see how many big law firms actually hired. 

Quail!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 08:55:39 PM »
ND grads place VERY well in Chicago.  Their alumni base is also very rabid and loyal.

I would say Chicago is probably the premier placement locale for ND

WhiteyEMSR

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 11:39:31 PM »
I'm a Notre Dame student. Students get jobs everywhere. I'm a transfer student, so I really only know the transfer students, but I think we all have jobs, many BigLaw. The firms (off the top of my head) where transfers are going are Jones Day, Sidley Austin (Chi), Ice Miller (Indy), Dickinson Wright (MI), 2 at NY firms (don't remember the firm names), 1 other Indy firm, a couple more Chicago (huge placement).

Firms come from all over the place. I only interviewed in the midwest and got a lot of callback offers. I know people routinely go to the major Californian cities, New York, Chicago, and Indy. In the midwest, you definitely can't go wrong.

South Bend? Yeah...nobody stays in South Bend.

ProfessorPlum

• Sr. Citizen
  • Georgetown Law 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 11:43:37 PM »
I'm a Notre Dame student. Students get jobs everywhere. I'm working at Jones Day in Chicago this summer along with another student. I'm a transfer student, so I really only know the transfer students, but I think we all have jobs, many BigLaw. The firms (off the top of my head) where transfers are going are Jones Day, Sidley Austin (Chi), Ice Miller (Indy), Dickinson Wright (MI), 2 at NY firms (don't remember the firm names), 1 other Indy firm, a couple more Chicago (huge placement).

Firms come from all over the place. I only interviewed in the midwest and got a lot of callback offers. I know people routinely go to the major Californian cities, New York, Chicago, and Indy. In the midwest, you definitely can't go wrong.

Will you stick around and answer some more questions!?  Or maybe post a "Notre Dame law student taking questions" thread?  I also was accepted today and I'm really excited/curious about ND law.
hoia saxa

whoneedsanABA

• Sr. Citizen
  • praise the basketball gods!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 01:18:41 AM »
please do!  i've heard that nd is primarily white/conservative... will a jaded liberal/minority feel out of place?

I'm a Notre Dame student. Students get jobs everywhere. I'm working at Jones Day in Chicago this summer along with another student. I'm a transfer student, so I really only know the transfer students, but I think we all have jobs, many BigLaw. The firms (off the top of my head) where transfers are going are Jones Day, Sidley Austin (Chi), Ice Miller (Indy), Dickinson Wright (MI), 2 at NY firms (don't remember the firm names), 1 other Indy firm, a couple more Chicago (huge placement).

Will you stick around and answer some more questions!?  Or maybe post a "Notre Dame law student taking questions" thread?  I also was accepted today and I'm really excited/curious about ND law.
it may come down to fordham v. hastings...

WhiteyEMSR

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 04:00:45 PM »
I'll post a "Notre Dame 2l Posting Questions" thread.