Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Best books for choosing law schools?  (Read 755 times)

Miltra

• Sr. Citizen
  • Grrrr! I am a she beast.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Best books for choosing law schools?
« on: March 03, 2004, 11:12:17 AM »
Hi everyone-
I am wondering what everyone thinks are the best books to help you pick which law schools to apply to for admission.  I have looked at a number of books, and they all seem to spit out the same information about class size, median GPA/LSAT, degree opporunities, etc.  I am looking for a book that tells me what students who are actually there think about their school.  I also want to know what type of law each school is known for, or, alternatively, which programs stink at which schools. 

Any thoughts? 
Amy

dsds3581

• View Profile
Re: Best books for choosing law schools?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2004, 08:28:28 PM »
I'm not sure there are any books that go into that much detail about schools. Ummm...I think Princeton Review used to publish a book that gave student accounts, and it might still publish it...you might want to check review.com and see if they do. USNews just publishes some specialties and, like, the top 10 schools in those programs.

I'd suggest, for details on types of law and the schools that are good/bunk for certain specialties, do research on the internet using search engines. I found the top schools in entertainment law by typing in "entertainment law rankings."

For getting student accounts of schools, check epinions.com...and maybe also just go to each school's website and e-mail different students. For e-mailing students, you might want to go about that by checking out organizations/activities pages. Some schools also have students represent them during law school fairs--there might be a page that links to those students who would probably be happy to answer questions (though, of course, they will be biased).

Also, for information from students about schools...message boards are a great source. Just about any message board pertaining to law schools has students in law school on them. Just post a message that you want to talk to current students at X school about it on various message boards, and someone will likely answer back on, at least, one of them! Every time I've asked students about their law school, no matter what method I used, they've been very helpful and informative.

You really don't need any books--you've got everything you need on the internet. All you need to do is use it.