Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Conflict of Interest?  (Read 2381 times)

kirkcameronsgf

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ever since I can remember, I been poppin' my colla
    • View Profile
Re: Conflict of Interest?
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2007, 11:19:01 AM »

Third, if her boyfriend is in fact an adcomm officer, it wouldn't be that big a stretch of the imagination that he would somehow slip in her file before it was complete.

Yeah, I'm thinking this is what he must have done.

The other part of the story is that my bf is kind of a control freak; he wants me to go to the law school he works for. I've kind of had my heart set on another top school, and I think he's worried I'll get in and dump him.

I don't know, I think this is just a move to control me? Then he'll have all this power over me the rest of my life if I go to his school  :-\

He's just trying to love you.

jer

• LSD Obsessed
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2007, 11:20:15 AM »
you guys are gonna scare gretch away and she'll be forced to hang out at tls.

her bf just wants her to put the lotion on the skin so she doesn't get the hose

prelaw200

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2007, 11:22:33 AM »
how "top" is a top law school that'll take someone with a 154/3.5?
Me Go Cornell

kirkcameronsgf

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ever since I can remember, I been poppin' my colla
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2007, 11:23:53 AM »
how "top" is a top law school that'll take someone with a 154/3.5?

Hey now..  it all depends on your point of view.

Johnny Stuffs His Mouth

• LSD Obsessed
  • 1/2 of the Golden Couple
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=johnkorean
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2007, 11:24:25 AM »
I'd have to disagree on that.  Nobody considers Cooley a "top" law school, not even the people that go there.  "Top" law school is not as a subjective term as you make it out to be - people more or less agree.

Think about it, a boyfriend getting someone accepted at law school without the LSAT (your med school friend is separate, especially since it was something merit-based, although I'd doubt the quality of that school on face value of the story) - the whole idea is preposterous.  If it sounds too good to be true...

It's still possible that it's a good school. I was just picking one because honestly, outside the top 30 or so, I don't know what's considered a top school.

And true, the med school in question isn't the greatest, but I understand that for med school, the school name doesn't matter that much. You're still a doctor.

And yes, I'd be just as skeptical as you are if she got in without having to take an LSAT if she had no connections. But if there's one thing I've learned in this process, connections mean everything.
I'll join the cool crowd: 3.23/173
Blinded by the light (Attending): UVA!!! Wahoo 2010!!!
Wrapped up like a feminine hygiene product (Accepted): UVA!! Fordham, Georgetown!!! NYU!!!!!!!!!
Another odor in the night (Rejected): Harvard
Let's go LSAT score! http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=johnkorean

Quail!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2007, 11:25:40 AM »
I'd have to disagree on that.  Nobody considers Cooley a "top" law school, not even the people that go there.  "Top" law school is not as a subjective term as you make it out to be - people more or less agree.

Think about it, a boyfriend getting someone accepted at law school without the LSAT (your med school friend is separate, especially since it was something merit-based, although I'd doubt the quality of that school on face value of the story) - the whole idea is preposterous.  If it sounds too good to be true...

It's still possible that it's a good school. I was just picking one because honestly, outside the top 30 or so, I don't know what's considered a top school.

And true, the med school in question isn't the greatest, but I understand that for med school, the school name doesn't matter that much. You're still a doctor.

And yes, I'd be just as skeptical as you are if she got in without having to take an LSAT if she had no connections. But if there's one thing I've learned in this process, connections mean everything.

IMO, the connections that mean everything are the ones that write fat checks.  Employees don't sound like a meaningful connection - especially an admissions counselor.  A dean on the other hand...

Johnny Stuffs His Mouth

• LSD Obsessed
  • 1/2 of the Golden Couple
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=johnkorean
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2007, 11:26:58 AM »

IMO, the connections that mean everything are the ones that write fat checks.  Employees don't sound like a meaningful connection - especially an admissions counselor.  A dean on the other hand...

Maybe I don't know enough about the admissions process, but I would think someone whose job is to admit people into a school has just as much if not more say in admitting people to a school than the dean.
I'll join the cool crowd: 3.23/173
Blinded by the light (Attending): UVA!!! Wahoo 2010!!!
Wrapped up like a feminine hygiene product (Accepted): UVA!! Fordham, Georgetown!!! NYU!!!!!!!!!
Another odor in the night (Rejected): Harvard
Let's go LSAT score! http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=johnkorean

Quail!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2007, 11:28:20 AM »

Maybe I don't know enough about the admissions process, but I would think someone whose job is to admit people into a school has just as much if not more say in admitting people to a school than the dean.

Except 99.999% chance says that he does not have the power to admit people.  It usually takes review from an admissions committee.  One person can't review the file, say they're in, and bypass everything else.  At least not that I know of...

Yankees Fan

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ask+me
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2007, 11:29:13 AM »

So the guy managed to sneak in his girlfriend, without even taking the LSAT, and no one else in the adcomm is going to notice?  I'm pretty sure ethics are important in an admissions office, and if what has been said happened actually did, her boyfriend would be at quite a risk of losing his job.  He'd also probably screw up his career for such an act.

I could be wrong, people are crazy, but I'm still calling shenanigans on this one.
USD 2010

Gretchen W.

• Currently exercising my secret power
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2007, 11:30:42 AM »
It's a top law school by most people's definitions, not T-14, but a good school.

But I have my heart set on somehwere else. I'm not planning on applying till next year, which is why it was no big deal to delay the LSAT.
Power always has to be kept in check; power exercised in secret, especially under the cloak of national security, is doubly dangerous.

-William Proxmire