Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Commuting from Philly to Seton Hall (newark) possible?  (Read 312 times)

ks2pa

• View Profile
Commuting from Philly to Seton Hall (newark) possible?
« on: February 15, 2007, 12:18:16 AM »
So i am pretty much set on living in philadelphia this fall.  However i have received a very tempting offer from Seton Hall  $27,000k/year.  I am kind of against taking it because i will not live in Newark.  However do you think it would be to much of a strain to commute?  Is it possible to take a train?  Any insight is appreciated.

RUMike

• Sr. Citizen
  • I switched it up with a self tar.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mike101985
    • View Profile
Re: Commuting from Philly to Seton Hall (newark) possible?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 12:41:34 AM »
DO NOT do this. It will easily take a you 90 minutes one way via train. I kno from New Brunswick to Trenton it's 30 minutes and to Newark about 40= 70 min plus whatever time on the SEPTA and transferring at Trenton.

If you're opposed to Newark (and you have every right to be), take a look at Jersey City. It's affordable, up and coming, and 15 minutes to SHU. And 15 minutes to NYC.

ks2pa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 12:53:11 AM »
Damn
Thanks for the honest response.  I am pretty much set to live in Philly so this probably means i will have to look at other schools.  To bad though.

cmickey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 08:23:43 AM »
yeah i am going to second this...

its about 40 minutes from center city philly to trenton on septa, then another hour from trenton to newark...

while this would allow you to read/do work... it would be obnoxious to do daily

////

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 09:42:41 AM »
I don't know about peak times, but trains from NY to Philly that stop in Newark are as short as 75 mins (so possibly 65 to Newark, though this might only be the more expensive trains) - I'd check schedules surrounding the hours you'd likely travel before deciding.

Also - if the money difference is that big - maybe keeping a dorm room in Newark / Jersey City and living in Philly on the weekends could work? Craigslist sometimes has some very unique sharing arrangements possible as well (e.g. weekend / weekday only)

RedWine

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007, 10:37:10 AM »
Monkey, the AMTRAK Acela trains are sooo expensive.  The cost of commuting on one of those (and the inconvenience of being tied to the train schedule -- the Acelas don't run all that often) would practically cancel out the scholarship.  Interesting idea with the Craigslist suggestion, though.