Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How does LSAC check for all schools?  (Read 2224 times)

SilentSwirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Summer!
    • View Profile
Re: How does LSAC check for all schools?
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2007, 02:23:19 AM »
During an undergraduate summer, I decided to do a semester at a local college. I did poorly, so I didn't have the credits transferred out. Technically, my bad grades at that particular school won't show up in any transcript.

I know I should report my grades from that college, but I don't feel inclined to. Does the LSAC have some special way (ie a database) of tracing all the schools I have been in?

I guess I'm reading a little too literally into this. You took classes at some local college and did not transfer them in to count for your undergrad degree. Correct? If the courses didn't count for your degree they have no bearing on anything. It is irrelevent if you did well or poorly. You didn't have them transfer over. If you took a summer tennis class at a community college would you feel the need to report that too?

I think a lot of people seem to be expressing a large amount of ~Paranoia~

I wouldn't bother worrying about classes that don't mean anything on your official undergrad transcript. 

This is just wrong.

I took: Psychology, Sociology, News Reporting, Chemistry, Sign Language, Fingerspelling, German, Marketing, Rhetoric, Calculus (and on and on for a few semesters). NONE of these counted for my degree (International Studies). They certainly have a "bearing" in that applications (at least the 25-30 or so I've read) ask for you to report any classes you have taken from any institution.

HTH

schadenfreude

• Coming to a law school near you..in 2008.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2007, 02:57:22 AM »
During an undergraduate summer, I decided to do a semester at a local college. I did poorly, so I didn't have the credits transferred out. Technically, my bad grades at that particular school won't show up in any transcript.

I know I should report my grades from that college, but I don't feel inclined to. Does the LSAC have some special way (ie a database) of tracing all the schools I have been in?

I guess I'm reading a little too literally into this. You took classes at some local college and did not transfer them in to count for your undergrad degree. Correct? If the courses didn't count for your degree they have no bearing on anything. It is irrelevent if you did well or poorly. You didn't have them transfer over. If you took a summer tennis class at a community college would you feel the need to report that too?

I think a lot of people seem to be expressing a large amount of ~Paranoia~

I wouldn't bother worrying about classes that don't mean anything on your official undergrad transcript. 

This is just wrong.

I took: Psychology, Sociology, News Reporting, Chemistry, Sign Language, Fingerspelling, German, Marketing, Rhetoric, Calculus (and on and on for a few semesters). NONE of these counted for my degree (International Studies). They certainly have a "bearing" in that applications (at least the 25-30 or so I've read) ask for you to report any classes you have taken from any institution.

HTH

I'm not sure what you want to reply to you with. Did you take those classes at your undergrad school because you had units/electives to spare or did you take them some other place(s) because you had money and time to spare?

The poster stated that he/she took classes that didn't end up transferring over for credit. They can be viewed in the same light as basket-weaving/action film studies if they don't become transferrable and, hence, important. I'm not saying that one class is worth more, say an elective versus a core. I'm saying that anything that appears on the undergrad school from which a degree was conferred and all units transferred in to meet that degree are all I would worry about in that particular case.

If LSAC takes a cavalier attitude towards graduate study yet they will deem important undergrad classes which ON PAPER come off as frivilous time fillers? LSAC can't read intention into this situation, right?

I should admit, however, that I will be applying for 2008, I haven't applied anywhere yet nor have I seen the wording on any law school app. If the wording is similar to my grad school app than I think my opinion is still valid.
Fall 2007 Application List
Oregon, Miami, Florida State, Florida, USC, UCLA, McGeorge,LSU, Kentucky, USD, Montana, New Mexico, UWashington, Georgetown, South Carolina

Ersatz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2007, 12:13:03 PM »
I'm not sure what you want to reply to you with. Did you take those classes at your undergrad school because you had units/electives to spare or did you take them some other place(s) because you had money and time to spare?

The poster stated that he/she took classes that didn't end up transferring over for credit. They can be viewed in the same light as basket-weaving/action film studies if they don't become transferrable and, hence, important. I'm not saying that one class is worth more, say an elective versus a core. I'm saying that anything that appears on the undergrad school from which a degree was conferred and all units transferred in to meet that degree are all I would worry about in that particular case.

If LSAC takes a cavalier attitude towards graduate study yet they will deem important undergrad classes which ON PAPER come off as frivilous time fillers? LSAC can't read intention into this situation, right?

I should admit, however, that I will be applying for 2008, I haven't applied anywhere yet nor have I seen the wording on any law school app. If the wording is similar to my grad school app than I think my opinion is still valid.

The bolded part is where your message should have started and ended. Stop giving horrible advice, particularly as you've admitted that you have zero idea what you are talking about.

Op: you are basically obligated to report to LSAC every single grade you've received after high school. That's your rule of thumb.

Secant Tangent Cosine Sine 3.14159

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Do you know what happens to a toad..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2007, 02:25:06 PM »
Hello Everyone:

I am not going to get into too much detail about my affiliations, but suffice it to say that I am very knowledgable about these reporting matters (though not specifcally LSAC per se). 

I will tell you this much: almost all enrollment information for all Universities is tracked via the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS).  It is a nationwide database run by the Department of Education.  The primary purpose of this site is to, of course, track student loans.  However, there is also a tab on there where schools report enrollment status (full time, 1/2 time, graduated, withdrawn, dismissed).  Whether or not students take out aid or loans is in most casses irrelevant.  Schools will sent a blanket data cohort for their entire population to NSLDS, so it is quite probable that students have a record there even if they received ZERO federal grants/loans. 

Of course, you can easily check it out yourself at:

http://www.nslds.ed.gov

I would be dollars to donuts that LSAC has access to this site.  Then again, I guess it is possible that they operate strictly on the honor system.  I guess one could always call and ask--it sounds like the kind of thing they would have to disclose.  I would agree with the people so far that have advised against it for the sake of not having to go through an ordeal when it comes time to pass the bar though. 
"I don't care if you think I'm a racist, so long as you think I'm thin." -- Kathy Griffen

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=Tesseract314

GPA: 3.95
LSAT: Jun 07=One-sixtycrap

Applying to: UChi,NW,HLS,UCal-B,Penn,BU,BC,UMinn,GULC,GW,G.Mas.,Loyola,Chi-Ken,DePaul

Ersatz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2007, 06:26:12 PM »
Fantastic user name. 176.

Secant Tangent Cosine Sine 3.14159

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Do you know what happens to a toad..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2007, 12:13:00 PM »
Thanks.  ;)
"I don't care if you think I'm a racist, so long as you think I'm thin." -- Kathy Griffen

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=Tesseract314

GPA: 3.95
LSAT: Jun 07=One-sixtycrap

Applying to: UChi,NW,HLS,UCal-B,Penn,BU,BC,UMinn,GULC,GW,G.Mas.,Loyola,Chi-Ken,DePaul