Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How does LSAC check for all schools?  (Read 2225 times)

thesis200

• View Profile
    • Email
How does LSAC check for all schools?
« on: February 14, 2007, 10:26:39 PM »
During an undergraduate summer, I decided to do a semester at a local college. I did poorly, so I didn't have the credits transferred out. Technically, my bad grades at that particular school won't show up in any transcript.

I know I should report my grades from that college, but I don't feel inclined to. Does the LSAC have some special way (ie a database) of tracing all the schools I have been in?

knicksfan0323

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How does LSAC check for all schools?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 10:28:44 PM »
During an undergraduate summer, I decided to do a semester at a local college. I did poorly, so I didn't have the credits transferred out. Technically, my bad grades at that particular school won't show up in any transcript.

I know I should report my grades from that college, but I don't feel inclined to. Does the LSAC have some special way (ie a database) of tracing all the schools I have been in?

I'm pretty sure every school and LSAC want you to submit a copy of transcripts of all college/universities attended...Usually the applications state this verbatim. And with everything law school, you should err on the side of disclosure...This may come back to haunt you.

thesis200

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 10:33:17 PM »
And with everything law school, you should err on the side of disclosure...This may come back to haunt you.

I am aware of that.  The questions are: how one gets caught and what are the chances.

knicksfan0323

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 10:39:11 PM »
And with everything law school, you should err on the side of disclosure...This may come back to haunt you.

I am aware of that.  The questions are: how one gets caught and what are the chances.

Its a chance I would not be willing to take. But thats just me. Good luck!

yanksfan2

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 10:25:57 AM »
I have heard that the bar association can find this sort of thing out (if you don't send in all transcripts).  I would not risk it, imagine 3 years of hard work only to not be admitted to the bar because you didn't send in a transcript....

jbd734

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 04:28:58 AM »
if you have to ask, you probably can't make it happen.

does the cc report to a clearinghouse?
did you take out any student loans to pay for the community college?
did you submit proof of enrollment to anyone - to defer other loans? health insurance?
did you - or someone else paying tuition - claim a tax credit?

iatpts

TrashCat

• Sr. Citizen
  • My job requires a certain... moral flexibility.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 01:51:01 PM »
if you have to ask, you probably can't make it happen.

does the cc report to a clearinghouse?
did you take out any student loans to pay for the community college?
did you submit proof of enrollment to anyone - to defer other loans? health insurance?
did you - or someone else paying tuition - claim a tax credit?

iatpts

A shot in the dark is you are fine as long as you didnt give them your SSN, real name, address, paid in cash and never ever told anyone. I mean but who really gives out that stuff on undergrad apps.

Ersatz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2007, 10:54:47 PM »
Disclose, disclose, disclose. This will come back and bite you in the ass for "Character and fitness" as part of your bar application. The C&F is fairly lenient with what they allow people to get away with (e.g., if you have DUIs or other youthful indiscretions, they'll still pass you, so long as you disclose everything), but there are two big things that they will not let slip by: financial malfeasance and dishonesty. The first is really for practical reasons - the attorneys that are disciplined / disbarred are most frequently disciplined for financial irregularities, dipping into the attorney-client trust fund, etc., and the bar will not admit a person who is likely to do that. The second is more encompassing, but it's the same basic idea - if you are trying to get away with stuff like this before going to law school, there's a pretty good chance that you'll continue to do the same as an attorney.

greyhame

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 09:48:48 PM »

Here is the real risk you are taking.

You can fool LSAC.  Graduate from law school.  But when you apply for the BAR, they do a very thorough search.  If you lie on your law school apps, even a lie of ommission, you can be prevented from taking the BAR.

Is that worth it?

schadenfreude

• Coming to a law school near you..in 2008.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 01:31:08 AM »

I guess I'm reading a little too literally into this. You took classes at some local college and did not transfer them in to count for your undergrad degree. Correct? If the courses didn't count for your degree they have no bearing on anything. It is irrelevent if you did well or poorly. You didn't have them transfer over. If you took a summer tennis class at a community college would you feel the need to report that too?

I think a lot of people seem to be expressing a large amount of ~Paranoia~

I wouldn't bother worrying about classes that don't mean anything on your official undergrad transcript. 
Fall 2007 Application List
Oregon, Miami, Florida State, Florida, USC, UCLA, McGeorge,LSU, Kentucky, USD, Montana, New Mexico, UWashington, Georgetown, South Carolina