Law School Discussion

Seattle University

Re: Seattle University
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2007, 04:59:51 PM »
I think, with regards to BIGLAW, your assessment is fairly accurate. That said, you're dramatically overblowing the difficulty in finding a reasonably good job with an SU JD. I've lived and worked in the Seattle Law Community for 5 years, know more than a dozen recent (last 4 years) grads from UW, SU and L&C doing everything from BIGLAW and US Dist. Court Clerks to those who ARE doing contract work. The difficulty in finding a biglaw job out here is more a function of the number of biglaw jobs in the city than it is having anything to do with SU itself.

that is horrible!  i was thinking something along the lines of in house for a small company, or maybe work at a small firm maybe 2-10 attorneys.  the situation you described, with no benefits.  down right horrible.

Hey, it's not quite as bleak as I make it out to be.  If you finish top 25% at Seattle U, you'll get a job eventually.  Top 50%, you might have to work as a contract attorney for 6 months to a year, but then you'll get hired.  Bottom 50%, now you're in trouble.
I think that is a gross misrepresentation of the truth. If the question is only BIGLAW  then I can't disagree with you, but middle sized firms here hire more SU grads than grads of any other school.

« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2007, 05:14:32 PM »
Suit yourself.  I only know what I've seen; I'm not a recruiter for a mid-sized firm.  I don't think mid-sized firms hire that many people in Seattle.  This really isn't that big of a legal market.  UW and the T14 do very well here.  Seattle does okay, but I wouldn't feel too safe about the investment.  That's just me though.

« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2007, 05:36:40 PM »
I'll throw my two cents in since I'm familiar w/ the Seattle legal market, or at least as familiar as all of you guys:).

First off, to the person w/ a 3.5/167:  Do NOT go to SU.  Go to a T20 school, and then look for jobs in the Seattle area.  There is a preference for UW grads in Seattle, but this preference (although some people will try to disagree with me) does not trump T14 schools + UCLA.  You may not get in to any of those schools with your numbers, but I promise you, a Vandy grad will be on equal ground with a UW grad in Seattle.  The market is insular.  You need ties, but you will do fine from a good school and decent grades.  I can only speak to my own experience interviewing in the market, and it was not that hard.  People are looking for those top schools.  There aren't any within 1000 miles in any direction. 

Seattle U is too big of a school and the Seattle market is too small (it is filled with UW grads + T20 grads) of a legal market to accomodate all the SU grads each year.  There are probably only 10-12 decent-sized Seattle firms, and I am including the out of state firms like Dorsey in that.  Of those most of their summer classes are small i.e. less than 10.  Perkins, DWT, Preston have bigger summer classes, but not huge.  Thus, there simply aren't that many jobs to go around.  Maybe 30-50 SU kids a year, depending on the market, will land a Seattle "biglaw" job.  If you don't get that, there are smaller firms.  Then there is city work.  Then there are really small firms.  A lot of the bigger firms will hire help as well.  You won't be an associate, but you get paid reasonably well.  It might look ok on the resume.  Then some people flat out can't find work and do an LLM somewhere, and then use that year to continue looking.  You will find something. 
The school has money b/c of their large class size and large tuition costs.  It will likely continue to improve.  I think you will get a good education there.  I think most people understand the situation, and aren't going in thinking they will be working at Foster or Keller or Perkins.

Good luck. 

kirps

• Why don't you burn in hell?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2007, 05:56:46 PM »
I'll throw my two cents in since I'm familiar w/ the Seattle legal market, or at least as familiar as all of you guys:).

First off, to the person w/ a 3.5/167:  Do NOT go to SU.   Go to a T20 school, and then look for jobs in the Seattle area.  There is a preference for UW grads in Seattle, but this preference (although some people will try to disagree with me) does not trump T14 schools + UCLA.  You may not get in to any of those schools with your numbers, but I promise you, a Vandy grad will be on equal ground with a UW grad in Seattle.  The market is insular.  You need ties, but you will do fine from a good school and decent grades.  I can only speak to my own experience interviewing in the market, and it was not that hard.  People are looking for those top schools.  There aren't any within 1000 miles in any direction. 

Seattle U is too big of a school and the Seattle market is too small (it is filled with UW grads + T20 grads) of a legal market to accomodate all the SU grads each year.  There are probably only 10-12 decent-sized Seattle firms, and I am including the out of state firms like Dorsey in that.  Of those most of their summer classes are small i.e. less than 10.  Perkins, DWT, Preston have bigger summer classes, but not huge.  Thus, there simply aren't that many jobs to go around.  Maybe 30-50 SU kids a year, depending on the market, will land a Seattle "biglaw" job.  If you don't get that, there are smaller firms.  Then there is city work.  Then there are really small firms.  A lot of the bigger firms will hire help as well.  You won't be an associate, but you get paid reasonably well.  It might look ok on the resume.  Then some people flat out can't find work and do an LLM somewhere, and then use that year to continue looking.  You will find something. 
The school has money b/c of their large class size and large tuition costs.  It will likely continue to improve.  I think you will get a good education there.  I think most people understand the situation, and aren't going in thinking they will be working at Foster or Keller or Perkins.

Good luck. 

I'm that guy, and I appreciate your candor. I am getting that feeling about SU as well, notwithstanding the particulars of any statement in this thread, the level of debate regarding its reputation is enough to give me the willies. I am thinking I will likely move out to seattle and try again at UW, or grab a t20, much like you said, though I am so keen on the area that waiting a year is sounding pretty good right now. I have a computer engineering degree, so I can likely pull 50-60k in the seattle market in that intervening year and apply again as a washington resident.

« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2007, 02:58:19 PM »
do you guys know if seattle will up my scholarship offer if I retook the LSAT. i went from 156 to 160.

uweckyle

« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2007, 09:11:39 AM »
Anyone still thinking of going to Seattle? I just got back from one of their open houses and was rather impressed with the school and city.  This thread got me thinking that the job prospects were poor coming out of Seattle U so that is one of the first questions I asked.  One of the alumni said that the market was tough right now for all lawyers and Seattle is no different.  Two other panel members were self employed and only one was working for a medium sized firm.  This tends to fall in line with what others were saying on this board about the Seattle market.  One nice thing that about going to SU is that there is a large number of grads who tend to be loyal in hiring other SU grads later on.  I also found the official ABA data on jobs after 6 months of graduation: http://officialguide.lsac.org/OFFGUIDE/pdf/aba4067.pdf
It appears that almost all grads are employed with around half being in firms and another quarter being in business.

kirps

• Why don't you burn in hell?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2007, 11:52:36 AM »
Well this is all good to know, thanks for the info, The Seattle app will likely be the last one I get back, we'll have to see about the whole process at that point, but I appreciate the  heads up.

« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2007, 12:06:47 PM »
Hi guys, I'm from the Seattle area as well and will most likely be attending SU. Anyone else decided this? If so, hello to my future classmates! :D

Here's the deal: I've heard that Seattle U. places very well, and all this talk about numbers manipulation is kind of sketchy. Think about it, if Seattle U.'s 100% job placement rate is made up, then think about how aweful job prospects are coming out of a school that claimes like 93% job placement! It really does place well in the area, don't worry. I've talked to lawyers in the area, and while they admit that SU is not UW, where the top 50% land biglaw, SU pulls its weight with about the top 25% getting these firm jobs. Others go work in business and government. It's a decent gig, with a lack of competition from other schools in the area. SU is MUCH more highly regarded in the Seattle area than L&C or U. of Oregon by the way. Have any of you sent in your seat deposit yet? I am a little weary of doing it just yet, condidering I am still waiting on 2 schools, one of them being ASU.

uweckyle

« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2007, 12:54:12 PM »
I will be sending in my seat deposit once I get home.  I wish I wouldn't have sent in one already to UoP but they needed theirs by April 1st.  I was really surprised by the "feel" that I got from Seattle.  I am not from a big city by any means, around 60,000, and I thought that Seattle would overwhelm me.  The people seemed very friendly both on campus and off campus.  I also had the fun idea of walking around by myself in downtown which turned into an adventure.  I expected people to be rude and hurried but that was not the case.  People were very friendly when I asked them directions and put up with my lack of knowledge in the area.  This is in complete contrast to the Sacramento area.  The city seemed a little sketchy and dirty, especially right by campus.   People also seemed to not be as friendly and helpful.  My only issue now is finding decent housing.  If anyone has any ideas of what areas are good to live in for grad students let me know.  I wouldn't mind a short commute but don't want to be driving an hour each way.  Good luck with everyone and their decisions and maybe I'll see some of you in the summer class.

« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2007, 01:19:25 PM »
I was just reviewing my student loan info and the tuition and fees costs alone are around 30,000 a year. What the hell? I assumed USNWR's stats were accurate. They raised tuition 8,500 dollars in two years!