Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: St. Mary's --- San Antonio  (Read 492 times)

sooner12

• View Profile
St. Mary's --- San Antonio
« on: February 14, 2007, 05:26:16 PM »
Anybody know much about St. Mary's or San Antonio, in general?  I know it's not the best school in texas or anything but, is it a good place to go, to then work in and around San Antonio?

rukiddin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: St. Mary's --- San Antonio
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 03:15:26 PM »
It's a regional school with a fairly strong local reputation. If you want to practice in San Antonio, I'd say go for it - provided you get some $$. It's a tier 4 school and very expensive.

I live in Austin and know a handful of people that went to St. Mary's. A couple of them transferred to UT after their 1st year, but all of them seem to be doing quite well professionally.

sooner12

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 03:55:27 PM »
Hey thanks,  I appreciate the insight.  I did get some money so I was definitely considering it.  San Antonio would be great I think. 

Esq

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 09:14:27 AM »
St. Mary’s University School of Law (“StMSL”) is part of a larger Catholic institution.  The University is the oldest Catholic university in the Southwest. 

StMSL students and faculty have reasons to be proud of their contributions to the legal community. In the last few years, a team from St. Mary’s University won the Texas Young Lawyers Association Moot Court Competition at the State Bar Convention in Austin, the most prestigious advocacy competition in the State of Texas. St. Mary's Law Review is consistently ranked as one of the top ten in the nation among all U.S. law schools in the number of times courts have cited the Journal. 

On the national front, the U.S. Congress has appropriated funds for StMLS to study amending the Freedom of Information Act in light of terrorist threats to government functions. The Princeton Review recently recognized the School of Law in a student survey of the Best 159 Law Schools, citing such qualities as St. Mary’s School of Law’s administration, effective teaching techniques, an emphasis on clinical programs, writing and research, and the potential for clerkships and internships.

Since 2003, the bar passage rate has consistently been at or above the state average. In the 2006 July administration, 84% of St Mary's students passed on the first attempt. 

In the Spring of 2004, school officials inaugurated a research center on terrorism law, accompanied by several dignitaries, including U.S. Sen. John Cornyn, a St. Mary's law school graduate. StMSL has also integrated technology into its classrooms and with the new courtroom, StMSL  hopes to partner with the Supreme Court of the state of Texas on a number of important technology issues.  StMSL has attracted high-profile visiting judges to teach at the law school. StMSL conducts classes at its Institute on World Legal Problems in Austria.  In previous years, the Institute has had such distinguished visiting jurists as Chief Justice William Rehnquist who taught on the Supreme Court in United States History. In fact, the former Chief Justice, only a month before he passed away, recognized the work of a St. Mary's professor for the professor's contribution to the federal rules.

sooner12

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 11:23:18 AM »
Great Info, thanks a ton.  You're definitely reppin them well, how much they payin you? haha   Good to know its well recognized nationally amongst those who matter.